• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Sunday ride: Reasons why I ride

knary

looking for a coal mine
This isn't a trip report so much as an excuse to post a couple photos.

Sunday a group of four of us went out to the Oregon coast via a great little snake of a road. It wiggled, looped, and bumped down along a river swollen with autumn rains. Shimmering threaded whiteness against a smear of rocky black, countless waterfalls added their weight. Through a dense forest hanging low with moss and bursting with ferns, the road included 20 odd miles of gnarled muddy gravel hugging the steep mountain side along the Nehalem river. The mocha colored surface was firm and mostly solid, but was tremendous fun to navigate at 30+ mph. I wish I'd taken more photos, but did manage to snap a few.

After the fun stretch of road....(camera at the wrong setting)
IMG_2804.jpg

Riding is serious business (Rubbercow):
IMG_2808.jpg

The river:
IMG_2809.jpg

Two of the four happy bikes (Rubbercow's and mine):
IMG_2810.jpg

Where'd the hair go?:
IMG_2814.jpg

The sky over the bay:
IMG_2815.jpg

And to answer the big question, "Why do you ride?"....
IMG_2819.jpg

And in the end......

I believe it was Ghandi who said, "At the end of every journey in life is a big Krispy Kreme."

nice shots Scott - thanks for sharing.

Scott,

Nice group of pics there. You're fully digital on your gear now, right? Just curious, I realize it's the hand that holds the brush more than what the brush is made of, that counts.

Looks like a real fun ride.

Hey, related since you're on large street bikes doing gnarly stuff.... did you see the collection of shots of dual-sport guys from the 1950s on big Harleys? Those big V-twins going through the snow, or flying through the air on hardtails 2-3' off the ground.

Here's the URL, it makes me feel like quite the wimp:

http://tinyurl.com/xa0z

It's very, very, very good. Series of photos of guys like you, riding big streeetbikes off-road in the 1950s. Mostly HD, but a few Triumphs too. And not just off-road. Off-road in Colorado.

Best,
Doug Grosjean
Luckey, Ohio

PS - The river looks neat. I think I can even see the line on that one rapid... ;);)

Doug Grosjean said:
Scott,

Nice group of pics there. You're fully digital on your gear now, right? Just curious, I realize it's the hand that holds the brush more than what the brush is made of, that counts.

Looks like a real fun ride.
It was one of those "I can't stop grinning" kind of rides.

I'm using a compact digital camera - Canon S45. It does a good job for what it is. Taking pictures is almost a reason for a ride (I see another thread in the making).
Hey, related since you're on large street bikes doing gnarly stuff.... did you see the collection of shots of dual-sport guys from the 1950s on big Harleys? Those big V-twins going through the snow, or flying through the air on hardtails 2-3' off the ground.

Here's the URL, it makes me feel like quite the wimp:

http://tinyurl.com/xa0z

It's very, very, very good. Series of photos of guys like you, riding big streeetbikes off-road in the 1950s. Mostly HD, but a few Triumphs too. And not just off-road. Off-road in Colorado.

Oh, yes. Amazing stuff. Riding sure has changed in the last 5 decades. I wonder how those guys would ride today with today's "better" machines and gear. wow.
PS - The river looks neat. I think I can even see the line on that one rapid... ;);)
:D
There are some good runs in these parts. They're all running high with the start of the winter rains.

-scott

Back