• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping question?

msnden

This will be my first Rally, and I plan on camping, do I need to register for a camping spot? Thanks, Den

Nope, just show up and camp. There will be places marked out for camping and some areas are no camping zones so that there is room for vendors and walking and movement...etc.

Is there a seperate area for the Beer drinking,bonfire burning,music cranking,staying up all night camping?!

Is there a seperate area for the Beer drinking,bonfire burning,music cranking,staying up all night camping?!

I have a feeling the fairgrounds isn't going to be very happy if you start a fire. I also have a feeling that "music cranking" past the time the beer tent is open will earn you a lot of unhappy neighbors. You might want to look at a campground outside the rally grounds for this.

I'm not aware of a 'loud camping' area, but there is usually a 'quiet camping' area. I suggest finding out where the quiet area is and setting up as far from there as you can. Of course I have heard of noise problems in the quiet area too.

This will be my first Rally, and I plan on camping, do I need to register for a camping spot? Thanks, Den

Be sure you tell the nice folks at registration that you're a first timer... aka rally virgin.

Tip: even though *everyone* will tell you otherwise, rally virgins really don't have to buy everyone a beer. ;)

Ian

Sleeping in tents...

Another rally-rat told me once that what HE considers "CAMPING" is quiet solitude, somewhere in the woods with the placid sounds of nature all around you.

At a rally, he "Sleeps-In-A-Tent." I always liked that because it pretty much sums it all up.

First timers should remember that EARPLUGS can make your nights more restful. Bring extras for your friends.

Loud camping never works, because at 2 in the morning, noise really does carry all over the park. Quiet camping never works because the early riders might be right outside your tent, drinking coffee and talking in normal tones.

The bottom line is that we ask for common courtesy throughout the rally grounds, and remind people that the thin fabric of a tent doesn't do anything to deaden sound.

Quiet camping never works because the early riders might be right outside your tent, drinking coffee and talking in normal tones.
I've also heard of old farts warming up their airheads at 0600, but have not personally experienced this. I think I camped near a lot of real drinkers at Lima and that proved advantageous in the early hours.

I've also heard of old farts warming up their airheads at 0600, but have not personally experienced this. I think I camped near a lot of real drinkers at Lima and that proved advantageous in the early hours.

There's nothing like an airhead warming up for ten minutes right outside your tent, while the tentpole clinking and saddlebag latch snapping symphony reminds you of how much you really shouldn't have had those last 5 beers.

Not that I have any experience with such realizations. :hungover

In Vermont, I heard some people leaving the grounds at 6am (why?!), but no warming up, fortunately. I was close to the beer tent, too. I would probably be less annoyed with the engine noise, and more annoyed they are "warming it up", at all... I ride in 20 degree weather, and it doesn't "warm" for more than 30-60 seconds!

Back