• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Confusion on KGT limited luggage claims

I keep hearing the motorcycle journalist's complain about "their" inability to put a full face helmet in the KGT's luggage. I fit my Shoei TZ-1 in there nice and snug including the thin protector sack it came with. In fact, I believe BMW designed the bag so it would fit a full face helmet "exactly" keeping it from bouncing around and ruining the paint.

saddle bags

I agree you only wear one helmet. But isn't the K1200GT a sport TOURING bike. I would think that would mean if you took along a passenger you could store there helmet in a saddle bag also. The BMW adds show the bike being ridden two up.
What a let down, the Germans messed that one up big time. Even Yamaha got it right the first time with the FJR bags.

This is just my opinion on the saddle bags.

Re: Re: saddle bags

Unyalli said:
Nope. It's a SPORT touring bike. The R1150RT is a sport TOURING bike.

I've never understood the whining. If I'm using the bike as intended, the bags will be full of stuff and there won't be any room for a helmet.

but what do I know?

Re: Re: Re: saddle bags

knary said:
I've never understood the whining. If I'm using the bike as intended, the bags will be full of stuff and there won't be any room for a helmet.

but what do I know?

I'm with you. On this machine I am always wearing my helmet. Want more air in the vents? Put windshield down. Less air in helmet vents? Put windshield up. If the rare occasion presented it's self I would just attach the helmet with my bungee cargo net.

saddle bags

You guys are right, the K1200GT is a SPORT touring bike, compared to a RT,LT or RS. The point I was getting at was if you buy the GT and ride with a signifigent other when you get to your destination you may want to go out for dinner, breakfast etc. and want to store your helmet in the saddle bags. Or for that matter store anything in left saddle bag. But I guess you are figuring you only ride one up. If this is the case why not ride something that actually will get out of it's own way. Maybe something that you can put through a turn other than a long sweeper, not have to be 6'6" to ride and be $$$$$ to afford the maintence.
Also a bike should be able to go 220 miles before filling up in the SPORT touring world.
And no one is whinning, just pointing out the facts. The FJR has a small alternator, the new ST1300 is an oven. All bikes have plus and minus. It's the overall package I look at. BMW should have put a bit more time into designing the luggage. And when ridding on a long trip the bags are going to be full, thus the long trip.
I have ridden all the above mentioned bikes. They all are great rides. It's just the GT is to much $$$ for the lack of performance, lack of luggage space (no top trunk), lack of fuel range, lack of info on the gauges, lack of character when ridding and to short of maintence intervals. Some day when I am told old to wrench on my own toys I may consider a GT. Although I would love the alternator output. ;)

Re: Re: Re: Re: saddle bags

Unyalli said:
I'm with you. On this machine I am always wearing my helmet. Want more air in the vents? Put windshield down. Less air in helmet vents? Put windshield up. If the rare occasion presented it's self I would just attach the helmet with my bungee cargo net.

There is a very cool device that allows the user to lock his helmet to the top of the saddlebag with a S-shaped hook. Two saddlebags, two helmets. And it works with the bags full. The helmet is right side up so it stays dry in the rain.

I never bought one because I just hang mine on the passenger peg by the chin bar and string a cable around the chin bar and lock it to latch BMW provided.

MarkF

GT luggage

My brother just bought a K 1200 GT, even after reading all the bashing reports in all the bike mags.The bike is awesome and rides really well, more sporty than my RT with stiffer suspension and different riders position. But comfy non the less :clap
However GIVI make a topcase for the bike and at $275,= with xtra brakelights, a bargain compared to the BMW topcase for my RT. His will hold 2 helmets wheras mine just one. If the GIVI is nice I will change to GIVI also.
Moral of the story: there are luggage options out there for the GT:bliss :clap

short comings

Well the bike does have a few things I would like to see different. But I do like to look at it and I even enjoy ridding it.

Yes, I have a R1200C and a K1200GT... I test rode the R1150RT and then the GT... Man does the GT ride "SO MUCH SMOOTHER THAN THE RT!!!" :D or for that matter, my cruiser... :clap

As for the bags on the GT. I also have a rear top mount, it's awesome bike!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Back