• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

spline lube

I would appreciate any help/ tips on performing a spline lube for 2001 R1150 GS. The bike has 38,600 miles. I am under the impression that it is to be done at first 40,000, and every 40,000 there after. Is this correct? Thanks for your help

Jim

While not exhaustive coverage, perhaps you will find something of value here.

BMW makes no mention of R-bikes needing periodic spline lubing. If they did mention it, considering the amount of labor required to do the job, they'd sell quite a few less bikes. Mine started showing symptoms of dry splines at about 8k miles. :mad

BMW makes NO mention of imput spline lubrication to my knowledge. However, imput spline failure is not uncommon on these bikes.

A year out of warrantee and 78k miles on the clock, my Roadster left me stranded because of failed splines. Never lubed them because the dealer said in was NOT necessary. I know better now.

Although my newer GS shifts good; it has 28k on it and I'll do the splines this Winter. I'm guessing it probably needs it anyway. This imput spline is the weak point of this design, IMO. Ya should NOT have to lube transmission splines..... but we know otherwise!

Happy wrenching!

Steve

I'm scared.......

I read about the splines needing attention too. I was also told that my paralever bearings were in need of replacement. So, I bought the bearings, rolled down to Long Beach to seek out the "magical cure" to surging, and told the mechanic what I needed done to my '02 Roadster.

First of all, he said the splines needing attention pertained to the older airheads, I didn't have to worry about them on my oilhead. He added that it was a rare occurance that the newer design dictated lubing the splines. But too many people with the modern oilhead have posted about these splines needing attention. They MUST know something.......

Then he set to work on removing the paralever bearings. An hour later he declared that the galling was so bad, that he couldn't get it apart to replace the bearings. He tried EVERYTHING, but to no avail. As I lived almost 400 miles away, and it was a one day trip that I set out on, he told me that if he continued....... it would require far more work/time/money than I expected. He assured me that there was nothing wrong with the bearings and that he saw no indications that they needed to be replaced. He said something about how they weren't "notching", so he declared them "okay"......

I have 42,000 miles on my R1150RA, and I'm scared. I don't make enough money afford this 'rich man's machine', let alone the maintenance it requires as you log on the miles. Then there are these unexpected surprises that crop up, surprises that go unmentioned, or are rare occurances because only a minority put on these kinda miles. But I'm stuck with it......

I can almost rationalize applying all the money that will go into the Beemer for those repairs that nobody talks about on a public forum......... and applying it to payments on a new SV1000. I can use the Beakster 1150 for pose'n next to at BMW rally's, or for that occasional trip with other "exotic bikes." Granted the Boxer may go 300,000 miles before rebuilds, but it's an expensive bike that needs attention for things not yet discussed.

YOU DON'T WANT TO ASK HOW MUCH IT WILL COST TO REPLACE THE DAMAGED PARTS FROM A SPLINE THAT NEEDED LUBING, OR PARALEVER BEARINGS THAT CAN NOT BE REMOVED FROM THE SWING ARM. So if you got the bucks, pay for some of the preventitive measures NOW, so you don't have to find out how much it'll cost LATER if you don't.

Because I'm stuck with a bike that has 42,000 miles on it (it's been advertised as up for sale for a year now), I may end up having to buy a Japanes bike that I can afford to ride, while I try to pay off the Beemer for the next three years.

Rhys, here's fighting anecdotes with anecdotes.

My supposedly "beta-bike", early '94 model year R1100RS now has 182,000+ miles on it. The front paralever bearing seized and blew up at about 150,000 miles. It was the one time the bike left me stranded. It ruined the driveshaft. The bill for that was a couple hundred dollars, as I recall.

I've never had the splines lubed. I did have to buy a new transmission after it had about 110,000 miles on it; the 3rd gear dogs were worn. I have the old trans and the splines look fine. The new trans has over 30,000 miles on it, and it shifts fine. (The numbers don't add up because a dealer replaced the original, noisy-in-neutral trans at 40k under warranty. That one had no problems shifting, either, btw.)

I also have a 2002 R1150RS. It's this -><- close to crossing 40,000 miles. It shifts fine as well. I have no intention of paying to have the input splines lubed.

Some people do have real problems. I think it's rather rare, but the internet serves as a way to amplify complaints, so it sounds like everyone has the problem. (I put 92,000 miles on my '85 R80, and never lubed the input splines on that, either.)

If you're really concerned about this, perhaps the cheapest way to prepare for it is to buy a 3rd party warranty that covers the drive train.

Pat,
How serious are you about selling that bike? I'm not shopping, but I was under the impression that your attempts to sell it were half-hearted.

As for the work your bike may or may not need - a couple things...

1. why did you think those bearings needed to be replaced?

(this one is for every one)
2. spline lubes:

A. I would surmise that when the splines need to be lubed is not a simple mileage number. That it comes down to climate, time, and the wild card of whether or not your bike is one of those that might have an issue.

B. are there any warning signs? the old K-bikes behaved differently with splines in need of lubing.

My bike lives outside. It rains here lots and lots. So I may do the splines at 40k (next winter?). I've seen what's involved and it doesn't look overly difficult.

Scott,

It's been a fun ride, owning the Beak! I have NO REGRETS!

Yes, half-hearted an attempt to sell it, but it's in Cycle Trader now with a price reflecting a naked bike..... if somebody has the money, they can have the bike. I have the attention span of a poodle, and would like to try something new & different. I thought that I would like to try is that new 100hp CL1200 due out next year. BUT I don't know about maintaining another BMW; it's been too expensive for a guy who has a fifteen year mortgage and makes only $3700.00 (gross) a month.

When we had the bike up on a lift, the mechanic grabbed my rear wheel and shook it from side to side. I freaked! The bike had about 37,000 miles on it. He said he'd tighten it, but that I should bring it back in 500 miles to see if it held..... and be prepared to replace the paralever bearings. I was influinced by what I had read on the internet, and a buddy who was told the same thing about his bike (with fewer miles).

Anyway, I just put a cool sounding/performing Super Trapp on the end of my Remus "Race" Y pipe, and ordered some Avon Azaro's. California weather is the BEST for riding year 'round, and oddly enough......... unlike all my other bikes before, I have not grown bored with this BMW...... it's just breaking my pocketbook.

Hey, it is just a mechanical contraption made of iron/alloy and plastic. It has moving parts, and from the first time it rolls----- there is wear.

Now, the more you ride, the more it wears..... common sense, eh?
Some folks have all the luck, and others not so much. I'm in the latter group.

Driven an 850, 1100 Roadster , and a twin spark GS .

I've gone thru imput splines, paralever bearings/bushings, worn out alternator( bearings )and even a broken throttle cable on the 04 GS that left me stranded ten miles from the Canadian border.

Why, you may ask:

Is it from lack of proper maintainence? No

Racing or abuse? No

It is just normal use and wear .

The more ya use em , the more they wear. Some just wear out quicker than others.

Steve

Ask yourself- who am I saving it for?

Point well taken Steve......

think I'll take it out for a ride right now!

It may be dark outside, some puddles remain on the road, but when ya gets the calling, you can'ts ignore it.

And I got some free Roast Beast waiting for me at the end of a quick 20 minute jaunt. Gotta go, I got some wear'n & tear'n to do on my mechanical contraption!

It longs for the abuse (and it's been real goooood to me), and I long to dish out the abuse it loves so much. Maybe I can have some cosmetic dominatrix stilleto's put on the bottom of my motorcycle boots.......

:brow

(Hey, where's the spell checker on this site? I don't want many people to know that I have but a high school edumacation.....)

Darryl-

How can I get some of your good KARMA to rub off on me and my bikes? <lol>

Ship it over to Easthampton, Taxachusetts and I'll pay the freight or postage and handling charges.....

Cheers,

Steve

The Paralever bearing thing has always been a mystery to me. My R11RS had 88K on the originals when I sold it. My wife's RS had 76K on it. My R11RT 32K. And so on.....200K miles or so total on Paralever bikes.

Then when my LT was in for warranty service, the shop said they were notchy and needed replacement, so they changed them. I dunno.....bike rides the same as when I took it in.

bmwterrien said:
Darryl-

How can I get some of your good KARMA to rub off on me and my bikes? <lol>

Ship it over to Easthampton, Taxachusetts and I'll pay the freight or postage and handling charges.....
On the karma subject, I can't say. I don't really know why I would have a particularly good karma, but maybe I was good in my last life or something.

As far as shipping it to Mass., I'm afraid I missed it by a bit. After I bought the R1150RS I shipped the 1100 to Germany, so I can go riding in the alps.

DarrylRi said:
On the karma subject, I can't say. I don't really know why I would have a particularly good karma, but maybe I was good in my last life or something.
Didn't you invent winmail.dat when you were at MS? :bliss

Back