• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Belstaff Gear

We were looking at the Belstaff Mercury jacket at the IMS this afternoon and the salesman claimed that all of the BMW gear is made by Belstaff and tagged for BMW. He also claimed that during the Filming of the LWR they wore the BMW gear when on camera and Belstaff gear the rest of the time. I donÔÇÖt know if either claim is true but I sure like the way the Mercury jacket fit.

The Discovery didn't seem very four-season for my region (TexSux in the summer=Hell on Earth), so for that reason alone I instead bought a better-vented Kilimanjaro- which is still way too much jacket for summer.

Sold on Belstaff after riding 30 years without good gear....

Completely agree with all statements about Bellstaff Mercury Jacket and Pioneer pants. I've had mine for over one year (40K) miles later the only complaint was the velcro closure at the collar..I put a slip catch there to keep it closed. Besides that i just zip out the liners on both for warmer weather and when it gets hot i unsip arms adn front vents along with adding my "Cool Vest" underneath. Saft and cool. When it below 30 i add Widder vest and golves along with thermal underware for my legs and double my socks. Suspenders work best for keeping the pants up. 38 waist = 2xpants, this allows for them to go over levis - if you like.

I would have paid more....

COMPLETELY WATERPROOF - major selling point for me over the Aerostich gear.

also got my jacket at the IM Show, but you can buy all from British Motorcycle Gear - on line.

I paid $225 for the Jacket and $200 something for the pants.

Ksmith57:brow

I have owned and used the Bellstaff Mecury Jacket, Pioneer Pants and their other lighter weight pants and would purchase them all again. I purchased them at the local motorcycle show so could try on the gear for sizing.

Jacket: Great Jacket great value quality gear, my last jacket was Joe Rocket and this is much better for about the same price. I wear all season april to nov, minnesota, but I do wear a electric vest in fall when it is ~30 and there is no sunshine. I have not gotten wet in any rain; the longest test through rain has been 1+ hour rainstorm across South Dakota at freeway speed. Down side is the venting, two small zips in front and two small zips on back for exhaust. Jacket gets pretty hot when above 80 but that is when wearing the pants with the jacket, if you don't wear the full suit it may not be a problem. I do wear a cooling vest under when touring and that works pretty well. Another point; my jacket did not come with back armour so that was an extra purchase. I'm a 44 and have the L jacket.

Pants: I have the pioneer pants that I wear when touring. These are really pretty hot since there is no venting but then there is no water getting through. They have some sort of membrane between the full inside nylon liner and outside. They really need to be zipped to the jacket (short zipper), when walking around they will slide right off since the waist band does not have a belt to tighten up.

Pants: lighter weight, not as hot. I purchased these to wear over pants when going to and from work, they have zips up the side and are easy to get off and on. They also have the same water resistant system but are not as heavy as the Pioneer pants. Waist is elastic so they stay up when walking around.

I seem to remember when talking to the Bellstaff rep that they sold the Bellstaff name and they are now British Motorcycle Gear or something.

hope this helps.

Great news!

I emailed the Belstaff customer service department and they gave me the "800" number of their road crew who was in between motorcycle shows.

I spoke to the manager of the team after they just finished the NY show.

They will be in Chicago with 800+ jackets. I am volunteering at the MOA Booth from
on Saturday, so this will all work out.

Paul, the Manager, went into greater detail with me about the relationship with BMW gear, etc.

The guy from Vermont

The fellow who sold me my Belstaff was Jerry Douglas - National Sales Manager. If he shows up in Chicago, please say hello.

I purchased the Belstaff Merlin jacket a few years ago, my wife has a Discovery jacket.

Both have been great in all weather, couldn't be happier......Rod.

Just picked up a Discovery jacket at the NYC bike show.. Now I need some time to try it out..
:bikes

I have the belstaff " Discovery" model jacket from last year, my wife found it for me actually, bless her heart, and I like this jacket very much. I would have included more venting had I designed it, so it would not be the best one for hot weather, but as far as keeping out foul weather it works very well. So I would rate it as a 3/4 season garment, at least here in the North East.
Steve

For those that have bought Belstaff, how have you found the fit? I'm paranoid about buying gear mail order since pretty much all places are in the US and I don't like the hassle if I have to send something back across the border. I want to feel confident the sizing is accurate before ordering something.

Cheers!

Dave...

Belstaff Gear, jackets and pants

I checked my measurements to the sizing charts, figured out what I needed; then I called Belstaff USA and confirmed my selection (turns out I was correct). Garments fit as described, loose enough to wear something underneath but with plenty of adjustments to snug-up the appropriate areas.

Ultarcyclist:

I have the Discovery (a Belfstaff, not a BMG). It is not a cool jacket. Not the jacket for you if you are a hot weather rider. I have it, a perforated leather Joe Rocket and a 3/4 leather Hein Gericke. It is the hottest of them.

I like it for the fall/winter though.

Good quality. It is I am pretty sure not a BMW jacket. In Long Way Round, Belstaff did sponsor those guys. Note what Mario the cameraman wears...a Discovery. But the BMW stuff is totally different in design and materials. I would very much doubt it.

Dave

If you have the jackets, are you happy with the ventilation? Most of my riding is in warmer weather, and I want to stay cooler rather than warmer.

If you have pants, same question as above.

I am emailing back and forth with one of their service reps, and they will will be at the Chicago Show.

My priorities are fit and ventilation. I can always add fleece under a jacket in cooler weather.

Sizing of Belstaff

If you are looking to buy mail order, I do have a Discovery in either M or L (I'm sorta in between sizes) and am in the GTA. If you are about that size, and wanted to look at it, you could come by.

Dave

For those that have bought Belstaff, how have you found the fit? I'm paranoid about buying gear mail order since pretty much all places are in the US and I don't like the hassle if I have to send something back across the border. I want to feel confident the sizing is accurate before ordering something.

Cheers!

Dave...

Back