• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to re=key Vario sidecases? R1200GS

kurt1305

How do extract the lock on the Vario cases for the R1200GS? The buyer refered to a tumbler kit being necessary, and the service department locally has left for the day. Does anyone know? Has anyone seen a write up specific to this case?

How do extract the lock on the Vario cases for the R1200GS? The buyer refered to a tumbler kit being necessary, and the service department locally has left for the day. Does anyone know? Has anyone seen a write up specific to this case?

There are a couple of screws (3?) on the inside of the lid that you can remove and the lock and latch assembly comes off. The removal of the tumbler is fairly obvious then...push the keeper tab in with the proper key in the lock and it comes right out. There are tumbler kits available at the dealer for rekeying those tumblers if that's what you mean. But, if you remove the present one and need to rekey it to a different key, often you can just by rearranging the present plates in it.

I got a nice e-mail reply from a BMW technician (pinecone from ADVrider and Two Wheeled Texans) who used to live locally. Maybe someone else can use this as well:

These are one of the easiest cases to get the lock out of. They are also easy to re-key.

Here's how ya do it.

1) Open the case
2) On the inside of the lid towards the top, you will see 3 screws. Remove the screws.
3) Once the screws are removed, lift off the panel that the screws held on. This is the latch mechanism.
4) You should be able to see the yellow tab that locks handle down. Remove the tab.
5) You should now see the end of the lock. There should be a shiny tab. This tab keeps the lock from coming out.
6) Insert the key into the lock and depress the tab.
7) With the tab depressed and the key inserted, pull on the key. The lock will come out.

If you have any spare tumblers about, you can re-key them yourself.

That too is also easy.

Here's how you do that.

1) The tumblers for these locks have numbers on them. Luckily, there are only 3 different tumblers. THE ONLY EXCEPTION IS THE TUMBLER THE KEEPS THE LOCK IN THE CYLINDER. THERE IS ONLY ONE SO DON'T LOOSE IT! The tumblers will have a 1, 2, or 3 stamped in it.
2) There are a total 8 slots cut into the lock cylinder. The first slot is where you put the latching tumbler. Before you start putting springs and tumblers in, apply a small amount of grease to the cylinder. This will help keep the tumblers and springs in the cylinder and helps lubricate the lock.
3) Starting with the space that is farthest from where the key goes in, insert a spring in the round part of the slot and the special tumbler.
4) DO NOT INSERT A TUMBLER IN THE SLOT DIRECTLY NEXT TO THE LATCHING TUMBLER! Insert a spring and a tumbler in the remaining slots.
5) Insert the desired key into the lock. Notice how the tumblers react.
6) All tumblers should be flush with the cylinder. If they are not, change the tumbler till you get one that does. Don't be afraid to mix and match them.

That's about it. By the time it took me to write this, you could have re-keyed all the bags.

Last edited:
I don't know how different those are from a R1100 but here is a link to those.
http://www.ibmwr.org/r-tech/oilheads/baglockmod.shtml

I bought a kit from Bobs BMW - part # 51 252 337 270 and rekeyed both of my hard bags and my glove box (since it didn't have any tumblers in it you could turn it with a fingernail or anything flat) :doh Sometimes you get what you pay for and I obviously got that with my used RTP... a different key for every lock.

It is such a good feeling that now I only need 1 key for 5 locks :dance

Thanks for posting these instructions. I just re-keyed my "new-to-me" top case to match my side cases.

It took me about 20 minutes...

...sure glad I didn't take out those rivets to remove the entire mechanism! :whistle

Removing Lock Cylinder in GS Adventure Cases

I crushed my 2010 R1200 GS Adventure metal side case and need to move the locks to the replacement case. I have searched the web but haven't found help specific to Adventure cases. Who makes them?
Thank you

next question you have about your R1200 would do much better to get posted in the forum area designed specifically for your bike. Your R1200 is a Hexhead/Camhead, not an Oilhead (only R1200s that are Oilheads are the R1200C models). you tend to get much more focused answers by posting in the correct forum.

Back