• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

07 650 Dakar??

KMIKE129776

I'm looking for opinions on the 650 dakar. I'm planning a trip this summer on route 66 from chicago to calf. I presently have an 05 LT1200 that I will be using for this trip but my son wants to go also. I gave him the option of riding moms 750 shadow or looking into a BMW for himself. He is 15 now and will turn 16 in march. The only bike he likes at this point is the Dakar. I was wondering if the Dakar would be suitable for a trip of this length and what the pro's and con's would be. Thanks Mike

How tall is your son? The Dakar has a tall seat 35". The only problem I would see other than height is that your LT probably isn't good for him since you'll want to be the one on the Dakar!!

The Dakars are great. I have put a 300 mile ride on one and the legroom was good and the seat whist not plush was good enough for me to still have the family jewels at the end. It was just too much fun. He will have an absolute blast. Cruise speed was good and gas mileage is great for a 16 year old gas budget.

Go to www.f650.com and check out the FAQs....nice review of the bikes, and answers to all your questions; hop on the forums too. I go on 4k mile trips on my F all the time; great bike!
Greg

He should be tall enough since he rides my DRZ400 with a 36" seat height. I may try it out alittle in town but I'm not a dualsport rider for the long hauls. I already told him the LT is off limits!!! lol I have the DRZ 400 for putting around town and a kx250f for wood riding. I just can't do the long all day rides sitting on the 2x4 seats unless im off road where I stand most of the time or rock crawl.

The F650 seat is much better than your typical dirt bike offering. I was quite suprised at how comfortable the bike is when I recently got mine. I've swapped the standard GS seat for the taller Dakar seat, and it is nice and comfy with the extra foam. The bike feels more powerful than the hp and torque numbers imply. It is quite responsive off the line, and has no trouble maintaining decent highway speeds. With a light rider, even with a full load of touring gear, it should be able to go the distance.

The only issue with the Dakar for touring might be the stock tires. If the miles are going to be mainly pavement, I'd swap the originals for something more ashphalt oriented, then swap them back when he wants to use the GS for what it's built to do best.

Dakar or not to Dakar

This is a great bike, I love mine. Only problem is the 650 is only 400lbs. On the Highway larger trucks and high winds will push him around.

I just got rid of a '04 GS1150 and moved to a '07 Dakar. What I really like about it is it's manageable, feels light compared to the GS. Sure, it won't roll along at 100mph+ all day, but I shouldn't be going that fast anyway. When I bought it I was looking at 1200GS models, and a shop I wandered into on a walk had just uncrated the Dakar. My experience with BMW singles was limited to the old R27 I had in the early 70's and I figured the 650 would beat me to death. I borrowed a helmet from the shop and went for a ride on it - came back and wrote them a check. I love it. It's very smooth and from what I gather the engine is bullet proof. I put Cabibou luggage on mine, the shop advised me not to bother with the BMW luggage, it's apparently pretty fragile.

Well I went to the dealer today to take it for a ride since it was nice out and it was sold before I got there. John has a lead on another one with the premium package and will get back to me early next week. Look like it's going to run between $7500-7900. Mike

I just completed a 5000 mi ride on my 650 and found it comfortable for 300-400mi days up to 60-70 mph on two lane roads. If you guys plan to ride 500+ mi on Interstate the 650 it far too light a machine. Wind(including tail wind off of semi's) is not the 650's friend, and the seat can be very uncomfortable after a while. honestly, after my last trip I'm seriously condidering a 1200. One good thing about the 650, I know I'll be able to sell it for a good price.

FWIW, I was looking at the BMW site yesterday -

http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/bikes/group.jsp?g=enduro

-the Dakar seems to be missing from the line up?

Glad I already have mine:nyah

Sorry...just saw the other thread about this

Yes, Dakar's are gone from the assembly line. If you want one, you better snap it up quick, or settle for used. ( which isn't too much of a "settle" since you can often find great deals on well equiped ones)

Darkar

Well I just got back from the dealer and it looks like theres another horse in the stable.
I'll pick it up fri or sat when I have time. There was too much ice and salt on the roads to just throw it in the back of the truck. Talking to John he said there are only 36 07Dakars in the USA and no more will be built. This one is loaded and I can't wait to rack some miles up on it. The wife wasn't real happy but O well. She hopes that I sell afew since no MAN NEEDS TEN BIKES-(her words). I always find it easyer to ask for forgivness then permission.:wave :brad

I picked the bike up on friday and left right away for Murfreesboro Tennessee so my boys could race in the BMX Nationals . I couldn't wait to get home to check it out more closely. The boys took 2nd, 5th on sat, 2nd and 6th on sunday so the trip was exciting. I finally had the chance to look it over today and it looks like it will be a fun bike. I must have read the manuals over two or three times at the hotel before falling asleep. I will try and post a pic. Hopefully it will work. Mike:dance

Attachments

• P1230035.JPG
    P1230035.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 77
Well I finally got the bike out today for 23 miles. At first it seemed a little sluggish, probably due to the temp. After about 5 miles it woke up quite nicely. While it doesn't have the pull of my DRZ or KX it should be good for the long hauls and light off roading. From the short ride I had the seat was great compared to the other two. It might even be better then the stock LT seat. I must admit that it kind of sounds like a diesel. The only two issues I see so far is the neutral light does not come on when in neutral unless I play with the shifter. I'll wait to see if it gets better with a little transmission break in, and the hand warmers are useless compared to my LT.

My neutral light does/did the same thing. It seems to get better with time, tho I'm not sure if it's the rider getting used to the feel or the tranny loosening up.

Next time she sez that, just tell her,
"No woman needs more than ten pairs of shoes."

(I usually post that with the number "two" because that is generally the number that the woman used. But in you're case, we'll make an exception.)

You can also feel free to tell her I have 14, and I'm still looking. (Actually, I ordered another VUN, for myself, on Friday.

Well I finally got the bike out today for 23 miles. At first it seemed a little sluggish, probably due to the temp. After about 5 miles it woke up quite nicely....he only two issues I see so far is the neutral light does not come on when in neutral unless I play with the shifter. I'll wait to see if it gets better with a little transmission break in, and the hand warmers are useless compared to my LT.

Give it time, by 10K it will be a completely different (better) bike. IME, those engines take a LONG time to loosen up.

Back