• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Who has an R100CS still on the road?

R100cs 6188154

Hello Mr Cainey,
The owner bought it in 1983 in Brandon Manitoba. No name given and does not want to receive
email from the forum.

Unless you remove the Environmental Plumming and install 9.5:1 Pistons, you will not have a 70HP (51KW) engine.

Nothing about the "environmental plumbing" detracts from horsepower.

When you install 9.5 pistons you should raise the needle jet one notch, which is the only carburetor difference.

1983 cs

I have #6176694, i t shows on the list as as an 83 R100T. The bike still has all its original paint and striping with the exception of the fairing. I repainted it and restriped it. It was damaged in a tip over, but still had the original paint and striping. Mine is black with white and red lines. Has snowflake wheels and R100 on the sidecovers. It was sold to me as a CS.
Bill Bassett

Pearl

I have a 1983 R100cs that I just bought in Casper, WY. Rode her all over Wyoming and Montana, no problem in mountain thin air, climbed like a goat loaded. it had 28100 miles on it when I bought her. I live in Atlanta and ride her all the time. She's pearl white with hard cases.:groovy:groovy

RT1200 07
R100cs 83 sn# 6188067
R100s 1978
KLR 650 2009

Last edited:
I owned a black"84" manufactured in 83,..this was in the late 80s-thru-90s....I was told /heard? it stood for California Special?

I owned a black"84" manufactured in 83,..this was in the late 80s-thru-90s....I was told /heard? it stood for California Special?

Not correct, it's indeed "Classic Sport."

The paint color is called classic black (CLASSICSCHWARZ) and in Europe these bikes were available with wire wheels to further demonstrate their "classic" nature. USA dealers wouldn't go for these wheels and AFAIK all USA models had snowflakes. Maybe the first '81 versions ... .

The paint color was only exclusive to the CS in the USA, as realoem and others clearly show factory painted RS and RT fairing parts in this color.

For the 1984 model year, the label R100CS was also used for the pearl white "Last Editions."

Last edited:
I have a 1983 R 100 which was the sport model as compared to the touring model listed in the BMW brochure. In 83 for the US market you could have either model R 100.Mine has the factory cafe fairing/bars etc exactly as a CS but only R100 decals. I bought it new and saw it come out of the crate in Nov 82. It now has 60k+ on it and has been a fine ride! Last year the dreaded valve recession issues caught up with it and we replaced the exhaust valves,all guides and a set of rings. I have installed the emulators.San Jose upper triple clamp,telefix fork brace and a set of Konis to address the handling issues. It has been a great all round bike and I hope to get many more years of service out of it

S/n 66188067 r100cs

R100CS S/N 6188067 was manufactured as a US Model (Included Environmental Plumbing) in November 1980. Therefore it is a 1981 Model Year Bike. I am sure it is as good as you say, because I made several trips on my 6188073 thru the Rockies to the west coast, once thru Rocky Mountain National Park. It was down on Power as it was running and almost would not restart after a brief stop at the visitor center. It still runs very well.

Let's see what contradictory comments I can get from IKCHRIS on this post (LOL). He knws everything.

Dave Good
MOA #5559

Not correct, it's indeed "Classic Sport."

The paint color is called classic black (CLASSICSCHWARZ) and in Europe these bikes were available with wire wheels to further demonstrate their "classic" nature. USA dealers wouldn't go for these wheels and AFAIK all USA models had snowflakes. Maybe the first '81 versions ... .
The paint color was only exclusive to the CS in the USA, as realoem and others clearly show factory painted RS and RT fairing parts in this color.

For the 1984 model year, the label R100CS was also used for the pearl white "Last Editions."

i have seen many of the early 80's CS models with wire wheels. in fact, i can't recall ever seeing any with snowflakes.

>>i have seen many of the early 80's CS models with wire wheels. in fact, i can't recall ever seeing any with snowflakes.<<

A friend, has an 82 with wires & it is painted a green met/w gold pinstripes.

Not saying it is the [only] one. But is the only one I've ever seen in that color. And it is my favorite.

Mine was black w/ Lester's, the original owner said [it] originally had wires. He just liked the alloy wheel better.

My friend with the green one has quit riding [can't stay sober ] I should ask if he'd sell??

Snowflakes vs Spokes

I have only seen one R100CS with spoke wheels owned by (as he calls himself) Phactory Phil. All the others I have seen have Snowflakes. If you see one with Spoke Wheels, do me a favor and check to see if the serial number is 6188001 thru 6188174. If it is not in that range, it might be a rest of the world model. I do not know how they were delivered.

Dave Good
MOA #5559

interstingly, the last one i remember seeing was at the Yankee Beemer's Euro Motorcycle Day at the Larz Anderson museum- could have easily been Phactory Phil's bike.

cs wire wheels

HI every one maybe this was mentioned somewhere , I seem to rember the CS standing for classic sport from 1981 on,the wire wheels were recalled ? or discontinued shortly after due to the shallow angle of the spokes,due to the closeness of the brembo callipers. so not being as strong,so they fitted snowflakeswhich were introduced in 1978/79hope this helps Jimmy

1982 r100cs

r100cs.jpg
My latest puchase! 1982 R100CS S/N 6188165. In the process of a frame detail, rebuilding carbs, brake sytem, and history confirmation.

to rangerreece

REFERENCES TO EXPLOSIVES ON ANY FORUM IN TODAY's ENVIRONMENT IS A DANGEROUS ACTIVITY. NO MORE!

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Back