• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Who has an R100CS still on the road?

dcrbmwc

Dave
I own 2 1981 R100CS's that are in good to excellent condition. Neither has original paint, but both have been repainted in "legal" paint schemes for the year and model. My serial numbers are 6188073 and 6188103. I would like to know of the existence of other R100CS's (USA only - S/N 6188001 thru 6188174) still on the road. Note that S/N 6188001 thru 6188163 are 1981 models whereas S/N 6188164 thru 6188174 are the only other USA delivered R100CS's with the 0436 motor, and are 1982 thru 1984 models, and are truly RARE. Last Edition R100CS's delivered in 1984 are, in reality, R100T's with 0435 motors and special pearl white paint, and do not have "R100CS" stamped on their frames.

Thanks,

Dave Good
MOA# 5559

Attachments

• 6188103-smaller.JPG
    6188103-smaller.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,453
Last edited:
Well my Buddy John still occassionally shows up at rallies on his CS. He rode it to the 49'er rally last year. I guess technically it won't be to last years rally until tomorrow. He also rode it to the Top of the Rockies rally. Going over some of the passes in Colorado it was definately suffering from the elevation. Not a whole lot of passing power.

I believe his is an '81. I don't know the serial #.

120096065-M.jpg

He had thought about trying to sell the CS at the 49'er rally because this Motosport followed him home. He changed his mind and they are both happily living in his garage now.

120099308-M.jpg

I'm not sure if mine qualifies. It's a 1982 model that I was told was a CS. However the side covers only said R100. The first owner replaced the S fairing with a Luftmeister and put wider bars on it, so I never saw it as orriginal. I found a 1982 BMW sales brochure that shows no S or CS models, but lists everything as an R100, but shows both with and without the S fairing. I bought it with 13,000 on the ODO. It now has over 100,000. I'll be riding it today in our annual New Years Ride.

Rod

I know of 2 personally; one in Mass & the other in Va. I painted the one in Mass several years ago & it has been given a museum quality restoration. I believe the one in Va. is totally original & still in very nice shape. Both are early "true" CS models.

Cs?

What does CS stand for and how are the bikes different from an S? Inquiring minds want to know. :dunno

I have heard that CS denotes "Classis Sport" as after '79 or '80 there was no R100S????

Hey Karsuk
Im live in orygun too
let me know when the next rally is
as I must be not connected

not sure what the s stands for , but the "c" stands for "CHING" ( cash register sound)

Rod, I did a little research in my BMW motorcycle library, such as it is. I have two of Ian Falloons books on BMW twins, which give a fair amount of info on CS's. Kinda confusing, they show R100 emblems on CS's like U pointed out. The title of his two books are "BMW Boxer Twins" and "Original BMW 50-96" The Restorers Guide. Good text and pictures. Also his book BMW R90S has more info on CS's. also good text and pictures. Cycle World ON BMW 81-86 also has a good article on the CS. How was the ride? See U at the spring meeting.

dcrbmwc said:
I own 2 1981 R100CS's that are in good to excellent condition. Neither has original paint, but both have been repainted in "legal" paint schemes for the year and model. My serial numbers are 6188073 and 6188103. I would like to know of the existence of other R100CS's (USA only - S/N 6188001 thru 6188174) still on the road. Note that S/N 6188001 thru 6188163 are 1981 models whereas S/N 6188164 thru 6188174 are the only other USA delivered R100CS's with the 0436 motor, and are 1982 thru 1984 models, and are truly RARE. Last Edition R100CS's delivered in 1984 are, in reality, R100T's with 0435 motors and special pearl white paint, and do not have "R100CS" stamped on their frames.

Thanks,

Dave Good
MOA# 5559

Hi Dave,
Nice to see your bike again. How many miles now on your original one?

Curious how you believe there are differences in R100 motors post 1980.

Don't get too many stars in your eyes around the term "rare." It's just for eBay.

No 1984 bike has its model name stamped on the frame, BTW.

Ikchris

IKCHRIS,

Have owned 6188073 since new, and have no stars in these eyes. However, it is fun to discuss just because of all the bikes out there that are purported to be R100CS's and are in fact NOT. Maybe for EBAY for you, but better to keep everyone straight. Worldwide production was 4038 for these but only 174 were ever delivered here. They are, therefore, relatively rare here, and can therefore command a higher price. This is simple economics.

Last edited:
Ditto That

Isamemon said:
Hey Karsuk
Im live in orygun too
let me know when the next rally is
as I must be not connected

The Chief Joseph ralley in early June is a awesome event.
Then again who's to say that a hand full of riders can't just pick a weekend and go camping?
I will continue this thought in a couple of months.
:thumb

Thanks Bob
I am looking forward to meeting with like minded souls :bikes :wave
btw
my bro in law has a beauty, original, pearl white cs
it was recently appraised at BMWNW (Eugene) at 9.5k
yet , as strange as it might sound, I like the ride of an rt better for wind buffeting, rider comfort, etc
but his is a beauty, wiht matching white hard case side bags ( yes white, never seen it before his)
maybe I can drag him ( force him to take a day away from his job)along for the rally
ahhhh....an Oregon rally , in the honor of "tim the tool man"...r.r.r.r.r
dont know how else to write it
out of here :bolt

1981 R100cs

I just got one, however its missing the fairing and has a after market wind shield installed.
Dan:thumb

1981 R100cs

Does anyone know where to get a stock fairing for a R100CS?
Thanks,
Dan:scratch

Does anyone know where to get a stock fairing for a R100CS?
Thanks,
Dan:scratch

I'm in the process of putting mine back together, an 84 CS LE. I got hit by a Uturner last January and I've finally settled my claim and am starting restoration. I really miss riding it.

You can get fairings from BMW. The new fairings are made out of a plastic, rather than the old school fiberglass it originally came with, so they might be easier to get on and off the bike..

17847650-L.jpg

They are, therefore, relatively rare here, and can therefore command a higher price. This is simple economics.

"Can Therefore" There's the rub. In reality, the only "rare" BMWs that command higher prices are generally R90S' which, for some unknown reason, people assume to be hard to find and ultra desirable. The only people who would pay top dollar for CS, Motorsports, etc. are people like me, who would shop for a deal or only consider an immaculate, original example.

The good news is that an R100CS is one of the prettiest bikes BMW ever made. Nice on Mr. Swider. Good luck on the resto.

The good news is that an R100CS is one of the prettiest bikes BMW ever made. Nice on Mr. Swider. Good luck on the resto.

Thanks, David. I've got most of the parts as of last Friday and got the bodywork out for paint last week. It'll get the stock Last Edition paint, along with new stickers. I'm hopeful I can find a solo seat for a reasonable amount of money.

I've got some used parts coming; rotors and such. Right now, I'm still on disassembly and inspection phase, but in another week should be well into parts cleaning, parts ordering and paint of miscellaneous bits prior to reassembly by February.

I hope to have it out and about in March or so.

I can't believe how much I miss riding this bike. This bike has a history and I'm duty bound by friendship to be a good custodian. This isn't going to be a perfect restoration, with a result that looks like a brand new bike, but rather a bike that shows it has some stories.

I think motorcycles are dynamic sculpture. They're nothing if they're not used and set in motion. I intend to ride this bike, not look at it, just like the other stuff in my garage. I was cleaning the /2 today and noticed that it's getting some of the signs of use. A stone chip here. A scuff on the top of the tool box from the bottom of the tank bag. A dead bug here and a little bit of road crud there. I don't mind. It seems logical to me that a device that's built to be operated should show the signs of that operation and that those signs should be an important part of its character.

Back