Thread: Just a FYI on Batteries

Just a FYI on Batteries

It was time to retire my Westco after about 6 yrs so I decided to check out what Batteries + (no affiliation) had in the offing. Much to my surprise, they now have AGM batteries in 2 styles designed to fit the actual dimensions of our beloved Airheads. While not cheap, ($140.00 out the door) you can get a Duracell (Made in America) AGM battery that sits perfectly in the factory holder. This is for my R100RT, however I noticed that most other models were listed. You'll have to do your own research. Happy Hunting:20150611_205317.jpg20150611_205334.jpg
    1984R100RT

Living on the trailing edge of technology...

Were you able to drop it in from the top, or did you have to remove the air cleaner and install it from the front?
    Jim
    '78 R80/7 and '84 R100RS (Blues Brothers), '86 K75C (Icy Hot)
    '90 and '93 Mazda Miatas (Jelly Bean and Red Hot), '02 325ci (Blue Streak)
    '96 Giant Upland (big Kendas & freshly greased bearings!)

Quote Originally Posted by jad01 View Post
    Were you able to drop it in from the top, or did you have to remove the air cleaner and install it from the front?
    Went right in but it was tight. Scraped a little plastic from the sides, but once in, it was a perfect fit.
    1984R100RT

Thing about it is the terminals are reversed and the terminals themselves are 90 degrees from normal, i.e. the bolt goes in front to back rather than side to side.

800420.png
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
    Thing about it is the terminals are reversed and the terminals themselves are 90 degrees from normal, i.e. the bolt goes in front to back rather than side to side.

800420.png
    I didn't find that to be much of an issue Chris. The battery comes with a plastic spacer if you need to raise it up about an inch. I didn't use it, but I do use some brass l-shaped connectors pointed forward and down. You can attach all your accessory wires to to the front, and still get a nice solid connection with your large cables and connectors at the top with plenty of clearance all around. Geoff
    1984R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkchris View Post

800420.png
    The terminals on this battery also have threaded holes on their tops. Still not side-to-side, but there's enough flexibility to get the job done. At worst, a couple small L-plates and you have side-to-side connections. I just installed one in my son's R100M, and turned the terminals 90 degrees. Exact fit in the tray -- held tightly enough that it didn't need the rubber hold-down straps (but still installed them anyway).
    Mark Neblett
    Fairfax, VA