• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What's your route from Chicago?

wezul

Cage Rattler
Heya!
I'm from the western suburbs of Chicago and this will be my first National. I imagine there will be a few attendees from this area and I was curious as to what routes one might choose. With all due disrespect to our lovely interstate highway system, if at all possible I'd prefer not to use the big slab.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wez

If you are a AAA member they can route a scenic drive without slab for you. So can Mapquest or your GPS if you have one. Have fun plotting :D

wezul1957 said:
Heya!
I'm from the western suburbs of Chicago and this will be my first National. I imagine there will be a few attendees from this area and I was curious as to what routes one might choose. With all due disrespect to our lovely interstate highway system, if at all possible I'd prefer not to use the big slab.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wez

Follow the lake all the way up. Of course that means having to battle your way back through the city to get to the lake ;o)

I'll be coming in from the east. I'd like to take I80 into Chicago then go north. I've already been all over Michigan so I'd rather not go around the lake again. I've heard that Chicago pizza is as good as it gets. Is there a source of fabulous pie with easy access to the highway? Or a decent parking lot? A good pizza would make going into the city worthwhile...
robert Ready to ride to eat. :buds

wezul1957 said:
Heya!

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Wez
Well, that is about a 130 mile ride the shortest or fastest way - up the slabs.

I normally use an old version of Delorme Street Atlas for route planning. It will show the shortest, or fastest, or a route based on preferences. I have it set to avoid interstates, toll roads, dirt roads, and ferries.

It picked an interesting route - 198 miles - Hwy 14 out to Janesville, up 26 to 60, back east on 60 to 41, and then over on 43.

Its not a route I'd have picked off the map - but its kinda interesting and not on the slab.

I was thinking I'd like to come in the back door, from the west. Any ideas?

Peace.

Wez

LOLO Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezul1957
BB . . the idea was the scenic route.

Ya ever been to LoLo pass?

This is the first I have heard of it but with a little research I found some interesting information. I am not sure this is what you were referring to but interesting non the less. US12 (aka lolo pass?)

Might be worth the Wisconsin portion this summer.

Back