• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

vintage displays at the rally?

O

OldAndBusted

anyone know what sort of antique/vintage set-ups there will be at the '07? i must confess, no offense to all you modern people, that the old bikes were far and away my most favorite part of the 06 rally. i barely paid attention to the rest of the event :)

is it too much to hope for that nettesheim will be there? i think he's located in upstate new york, so i assume he might have carted all that stuff over to vermont only because it was close by that year. his collection at the 06 was just incredible. i could have lived in that display room. oh god yes.

The display at the 2006 National Rally in Burlington was wonderful, no doubt about it. But as far as 2007 planning goes, we have no plans to do the Netteshiem display again.

On the other hand.... there will be a fine display of Vintage machines from the general membership, hopefully including selections from Vech (see the front cover of the December BMW Owners News) and Jeff Dean.

Although only a few of the bikes this year will be the "museum qaulity" that you saw in 06, I don't think you will be disappointed. Our members have many jewels in their garages.

Nettesheim Vintage BMW Displays

Well, I had to put my two cents in here. Perhaps it will give a better understanding as to how a display that was done earlier this year happens.
First, any vintage display like we did at the national earlier this year is very expensive to pull off. Understand that no indivduals associated with my team including myself are paid in any form but that doesn't mean it doesn't cost quite a bit to pull it off. The expenses associated and ultimately paid by both the MOA and BMWNA include the transportation of the bikes (30 for the 2006 rally in July from Long Island NY), the transportation of the display stands (from Ohio, AMA museum property), the "History walls" (BMWNA property from Cleveland), display engines (Nettesheim Museum), Display cabnets, counters, display tables, vintage parts (courtesy BMW Mobile Tradition) and on and on. In addition we needed to coordinate the carpeting and studio lighting effects that really brought the whole thing to life. Then there is the staffing for set up, display hours, and tear down. Then the logistics to get everything returned (I could swear I'm still missing one bike,......... well maybe not). We even had to make sure to have staffing t-shirts with the appropriate message. The members of the MOA have high expectations and even if less than $5 of their entrance fee went to pull this thing off it better be good. Was it worth the few dollars per person? I think so, and I was happy to share the experience with them. I got a lot of positive feedback.

As for this coming year, quite frankly, no one has asked me.
I suspect it might be a good idea to mix it up a little as far as the offering and maybe this year the budget just can't handle it and maybe a vintage display might be something fresh for next year.
It's your club, let your feelings be known.
I have been, and remain happy to share what I have learned of BMW's history with others. All the best to the members for the new year and I hope to see you at the 2007 Rally with or without my old bikes. See you then!!!
Regards,
Peter D. Nettesheim
Nettesheim Museum

X 10 (if I was all thumbs)

Peter,

I am most grateful for and appreciative of your fantastic display in Vermont. Educational, informative and even entertaining, your knowledge and love of these classic machines is incredible, and it shows in your presentation.

I will be looking forward to speaking with you again, with or without the classics, in Wisconsin. Only 6 months and 16 days to go. Woo Hoo !!!

Bob

PETERNETTESHEIM said:
As for this coming year, quite frankly, no one has asked me.
pretty please? ;)

your display blew me away and i could easily see that it took a hell of a lot of effort to set up, not to mention the amount of work that went into restoring the bikes. bravo. it's what really sold me on vintage BMWs, in fact. i had never ridden a motorcycle before checking out the 06 rally, which i did just out of curiosity, because it was in the next town from me. i'm kind of a ww2 fanatic and i wondered if i'd see some war era bikes. i came away from it thoroughly impressed with all things vintage and BMW, and about a month later while window shopping on ebay, saw a 1955 R50 that needed repairs only 20 minutes away from me. couldn't resist it, bought it, and got it running again on my own. my first bike.

so thanks for the inspiration :)

Back