• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

In Praise of MST

GregInBoulder

I took a Motorcycle Safety Training class this weekend because a) my wife thought it would be a good idea b) I hadn't ridden a bike on streets for almost 20 years and c) if I passed I didn't need to take the DMV tests to get the endorsement.

There were 11 riders in all and we were assigned mostly Honda NightHawks with a few Kawasaki LTDs. Most of the students were very newbie, actually learning where the controls were, how to shift, etc. At first I was figuring this would be a waste of time, we'de never get out of second gear and I already knew how to ride. I had several dirt bikes begginning at age 10 through twenty and then raced bicycles for many years in my twenties.

Suprisingly, I found the course was extremely good. A lot of attention was given by the "rider/coaches" on body position, head position, hand coordination (press and roll). The rider range was very well designed and we did over 25 different exercises ranging from decreasing radius turns to quick weaves and emergency stops. Instinctively, I did know how to ride, but having the coaching and practice helped tie it all together.

This all started a few weeks ago when I bought a '95 1100 GS with 800 original miles. I had snuck around on the back roads for 200 or so miles and realized that this was a big, heavy, powerful bike. On Monday after the MST course I got back on the GS and was way more comfortable. I would recommend the course to most riders, they also offer one day training using your own bike for the veterans.

Right on! LIke the MSF says: "the more you know, the better it gets."

Welcome back to motorcycling and enjoy that GS!

:thumb

I agree that after a MST course you feel more comfy riding your bike. I had a similar experience this summer as I had not been riding for 20 years or so I did the class and bought an RT after that.:D Ok an RT for a "newbie"? Yeah yeah I know, but I had been riding RT's in the eighties and it is like riding a bicycle, once you have done it etc... However I put over 7 K miles on my bike since the class in July and it is true that the more you ride the better it does get. I am planning on doing the advanced course too as you do this on your own bike.
Should be fun!:bliss

Back