• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K100LT Kickstand Problem

gstom

It happened again.
Around a year ago the kickstand on my "88 K100LT broke off at the base of the arm that sticks out to the side that you use to lower the stand.
I purchased a used stand to replace it, and now that one has broken in exactly the same place.
Is this a common problem? What is the best fix? TIA for any advice.

you might want to check with your local dealer, If I remember correctly the early K bikes had a recall on the sidestand or centerstand. Last I knew the dealers were still honoring it even though it was a long time ago.

Make sure you have the little cap on the end of the tang. It keeps the extension from filling with crud and rusting out from the inside.

I had that problem on my K75 and it turned out that not having a cap had allowed it to rust.

Timing IS everything

A BIG Thanks on that insight! It makes perfect sense. I got the same problem on a K75 I support & was wondering if it was a one shot or a pending trouble of the 7 other K machines I take care of. May I suggest, caps don't seem to live long, how about a good goober of silicone sealant in the tube, then a cap.

Belt and Suspenders

The second stand that recently broke had a plug of silicone sealant in the end, but no cap. The sealant alone was apparently not enough protection, or the damage may have been done before the sealant was applied. I agree with the recommendation for BOTH sealant and cap.

I think I recall seeing an IBMWR tech article about welding doublers onto the centerstand. Also the OEM replacement centerstand for 2V models is now the stand for the 4V model, shich is improved a bit.
But I think the original question was about sidestands, wasn't it? I think I read somewhere that both stands were prone to rusting...

Rust? oh buddy!

I think the only perfect answer is stainless steel, and no real answer at that. It gets sand blasted in the dry & mud blasted wet, poor thing doesn't get a break. I take mine off every couple of years & sandblast / powdercoat it.

Back