• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Big GIG: NYC Motorcycle Show

More Gemuthlichkeit in Gotham 12/26

If you are coming to NYC for the Big GIG in Gotham what can the kiddies or the SO see and do while you are taking in all the eye candy by BMW, Honda, HD and the like? Tell them to go take a hike ÔÇô in Central Park.

Central Park has two official web sites

The First Site This one is a commercial web site and has links to just about anything you want to find out about the Park and links to the city. The visitor to this site can spend hours hiking around this website.

The Second Site Go here to focus on the nature and conservancy of the park. The mission of the Central Park Conservancy has as a mission, "To restore, manage and preserve Central Park, in partnership with the public, for the enjoyment of present and future users."

Try this link for a
virtual walk through Central Park. Online tours are great, but if you can, take a live tour of Central Park. It's open all year round, and it's free!

Try a few of these links:

Central Park Zoo

The Children's Zoo

Tavern on the Green

Boathouse in Central Park
How about brunch on the lake?:
Park View at the Boathouse ÔÇö Winter: Brunch ÔÇö Saturday and Sunday: 11:00am to 3:00pm, Buffet
Dinner ÔÇö Wednesday through Friday: 6:00pm to 10:00pm
Reservations: 212-517-2233

General Information About the Park

Tomorrow: Metropolitan Museum of Art

Attachments

• Park.jpg
    Park.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
More Gemuthlichkeit in Gotham 12/27

If you are coming to NYC for the Big GIG in Gotham what can the kiddies or the SO see and do while you are looking for vendor bargains? Suggest the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Take in works of art by Paul C?®zanne, Van Gogh, and Gilbert Stuart and that's just for starters.

Want the quick and easy guide to the Metropolitan?
Click Here

Want on line fun?

Can you mix motorcycles and art? Of course! You do ride a BMW? :thumb

Attachments

• met2.jpg
    met2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 172
PAULBACH said:
If you are coming to NYC for the Big GIG in Gotham what can the kiddies or the SO see and do while you are looking for vendor bargains? Suggest the Metropolitan Museum of Art

Take in works of art by Paul C?®zanne, Van Gogh, and Gilbert Stuart and that's just for starters.

Want the quick and easy guide to the Metropolitan?
Click Here

Want on line fun?

Can you mix motorcycles and art? Of course! You do ride a BMW? :thumb
A little NYC Museum Tip:

The two biggest museums in the city, The Met and the American Museum of Natural History both suggest healthy admission fees ÔÇö $20 for the Met and $14 for the AMNH, for Adults, but remember, these are suggested or recommended fees.

You can gain admission to either of these institutions, guilt-free, with any monetary contribution you can afford.

If you are coming to NYC for the Big GIG in Gotham what can the kiddies or the SO see and do while you are downing a few at O'Farrells? Tell them to go visit MOMA.

What, youse iz visitin da Big Apple and not visitin MOMA? Youse iz one sic puppy! Slap mah fro! Youse needs a shot in da head. :evil

MOMA
New York's Museum of Modern Art

I have never been there but after exploring their website MOMA is certainly high on a list of new things to see in the Big Apple. The Board of Directors and Honorary Trustees is a WhoÔÇÖs Who of the financial glitterati. H.R.H. Duke Franz of Bavaria is an honorary trustee. All of us on the forum know lots of good things come from Bavaria.

If you love BMW styling you may be a fan of modern art without even knowing it. MOMA is a relative newcomer that has grown to be a giant in a very short period of time as museums count birthdays.

From their webpage

Mission Statement
"Founded in 1929 as an educational institution, The Museum of Modern Art is dedicated to being the foremost museum of modern art in the world.
In the late 1920s, three progressive and influential patrons of the arts, Miss Lillie P. Bliss, Mrs. Cornelius J. Sullivan, and Mrs. John D. Rockefeller, Jr., perceived a need to challenge the conservative policies of traditional museums and to establish an institution devoted exclusively to modern art. When The Museum of Modern Art was founded in 1929, its founding Director, Alfred H. Barr, Jr., intended the Museum to be dedicated to helping people understand and enjoy the visual arts of our time, and that it might provide New York with "the greatest museum of modern art in the world."

From an initial gift of eight prints and one drawing, The Museum of Modern Art's collection has grown to include 150,000 paintings, sculptures, drawings, prints, photographs, architectural models and drawings, and design objects.

As a student and teacher of history my first choice will be Manet and the Execution of Maximilian

So much to see and do:

Attachments

• MOMA.jpg
    MOMA.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 157
That just goes to show that ...

More Than a City
But we would lose a lot without the Big Apple.

Attachments

• NEW_YORK_CITY.jpg
    NEW_YORK_CITY.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 151
More Gemuthlichkeit in Gotham 12/29

This spot may not be everyone's cup of tea but it is within easy reach of the BIG GIG in Gotham. Sometimes it is good just to stop and smell the flowers.

New York Botanical Garden

Mission from their website.

The New York Botanical Garden is an advocate for the plant kingdom. The Garden pursues its mission through its role as a museum of living plant collections arranged in gardens and landscapes across its National Historic Landmark site; through its comprehensive education programs in horticulture and plant science; and through the wide-ranging research programs of The International Plant Science Center.

The 250-acre grounds of The New York Botanical Garden have some of the most beautiful natural terrain of any botanical garden in the world, including dramatic rock outcroppings, a river and waterfall, rolling hills, ponds, and a 50-acre remnant of the forest that once covered New York City. Just for a sense of how large 250 acres is; it takes about 100 acres to build an 18 hole golf course. LondonÔÇÖs Kew Gardens is about 300 acres. I have been to Kew Garden. The Kew has some exotic stuff but not the dramatic setting of the New York Botanical Gardens.

For example the narrated Tram Tours is a great way to get around the Garden's 250 acres. It features a narrated tour that explores the history of the Gardens and its programs.

Fragrant Daphne and Turkish Hazel are in bloom in January.

How do I get there and find out a lot more information of travel in the Big Apple? For schedules and maps, visit the MTA Web site And their site is great for destinations, deals and getaways.

Attachments

• visit_the_garden_winter.jpg
    visit_the_garden_winter.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
More Gemuthlichkeit in Gotham 12/30

20 days to go until
the Big GIG in Gotham​

How about adding something exotic to your journey to the Big GIG like a visit to a foreign country or two or 10 or 100 or 192? Right, The
United Nations. It's Your World!.

Before we start how about a trivia question? What was the last country to be added to the United Nations?

Behind the 192 waving flags representing the member countries stands the Secretariat Building. on a 6 block parcel of land along the East River. If you would like a live peek of those flags click here.

When you enter United Nations, you are leaving New York City. This 18-acres on the East River is an international territory. Where else but in the Big Apple could you visit 192 countries in a single day?

Guided Tours are conducted seven days a week, except in January and February when the United Nations is closed to the public on weekends. Tours are conducted from 9:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday to Friday; Saturday and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30. Go early on the first day of the Big GIG and still make it to O'Farrells for the inaugural Toast by Tessler.

Stop back tomorrow and visit. If you love toys, tomorrow is your day. :brow

Attachments

• UNITED NATIONS.gif
    UNITED NATIONS.gif
    64.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
PAULBACH said:
Guided Tours are conducted seven days a week, except in January and February when the United Nations is closed to the public on weekends. Tours are conducted from 9:30 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. Monday to Friday; Saturday and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30

ahem.

:laugh :laugh

UN & Gro?ƒer Gig in Gotham

The Big Gig starts on a Friday! There is plenty of time to visit the 192 countries and then make it to O'Farrells by Noon when that Masterful Mai tre d' Tessler will kick off the Gro?ƒer Gig in Gotham.

The Big Gig goes on for three days but the inaugural event is on Friday. Saturday and Sunday are shoulder to should events with charter buses unloading up to 70 attendees at a time.

So the official schedule is yet to be unveiled but unofficially it will look something like this.

1200 ~ 1400 Party Hardy at O'Farrells
1400 ~ 18:00 Take in the Motorcycles, Accessories, Exhibits and the BMW MOA booth.
1830 - Dinner Gathering and More Gemuthlichkeit in Gotham.

The city never sleeps.

Last edited:
Sorry I'll miss it....

It would be nice to put some more faces to names prior to WI. Have a great time! Looking foward to getting home late Feb.

Bob

More Gemuthlichkeit in Gotham 12/31

Marketplace for the World
The Javits Center

If you can make it in New York, you can make it anyplace so the song says. For example:

Source: The Javits Center

New York National Boat Show
With its 101-year long history the show is recognized as THE place to see the latest and greatest in boating. From yachts and cruisers to bass and pontoon boats, from canoes and kayaks to fishing boats and personal watercraft, from electronics and engines to fishing gear, from financing and insurance to travel destinations, you'll see it here first.

The New York Luxury Show is co-located with Adventures in Travel Expo, the largest, most successful adventure travel expo in the world, with over 500 exhibiting companies! At the inaugural event this past January, Adventures in Travel Expo was visited by over 3,500 industry representatives, more than 450 media representatives and over 22,000 consumers. This year, The New York Luxury Show joins the Adventures in Travel Expo as two of the industry's most heavily promoted events. January 13th.

And The New York Motorcycle Show

Nothing is free in the Javits Center but before the year is over whatever it is you have bought or desire has passed through this building as a prototype of a model. Ask some of the vendors for Javits stories ÔÇô everyone has a tale.

For vendor rules check this link ÔÇô You cannot unload or load your own trucks.

Attachments

• crowds_inside 2.jpg
    crowds_inside 2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 113
Okay, I have to ask... why do you have a picture of AES 2006?

attachment.php

More Gemuthlichkeit in Gotham 01/02

17 Days and Counting

Circle Line Tours

Definitely the easiest way to see New York

From their website

ÔÇó Circle Line - 42nd Street Jacob Javits Center World Financial Battery Park
ÔÇó Museum of Jewish Heritage Ellis Island Statue of Liberty Wall Street
ÔÇó South Street Seaport Brooklyn Bridge Empire State Building Chrysler Building
ÔÇó United Nations Roosevelt Island Gracie Mansion Harlem Yankee Stadium
ÔÇó Columbia University Palisades of New Jersey George Washington Bridge
ÔÇó Grant's Tomb Soldiers' & Sailors' Monument Passenger Ship Terminal
 The Intrepid and more!

The Intrepid has moved to New Jersey for overall but the rest of the tour should be spectacular.

For sightseeing details and prices

Click here

Attachments

• circle_line.jpg
    circle_line.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 149
More Gemuthlichkeit in Gotham 01/03

16 Days and Counting

Keeping an eye on the Big Apple

Take a visual tour of the City without leaving home. These are a few of the webcams for the city:

This is the link for Times Square
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/

Keep an eye on the UN Flags This is the link:
http://www.un.org/webcam/index.html

Manhattan. Advanced Traveler Information System There are 45 cameras installed in key traffic points around Manhattan accessible from either the map or the list provided. Only Tessler knows each view by heart. He is the Metro Mai tre d'
This is the link:
http://nyctmc.org/xmanhattan.asp#

Enjoy

Times Square

Last edited:
More Gemuthlichkeit in Gotham 01/04

15 Days and Counting

Two weeks from today and I will be packing up one of my presents from my wife - a Lowepro camera bag - the sling model 100 for the big GIG in Gotham.

If I had more time in the Big Apple one of the spots I would want to photograph would be the South Street Seaport

From the South Street Seaport Webpage:

A true sense of New York.

When they say “the City” they mean New York. And when they say “not-to-be-missed” they mean South Street Seaport. A thriving community complete with a world-class maritime museum, breathtaking views and more than 100 shops, cafes and restaurants. This renovated American landmark is right on Lower Manhattan's historic waterfront. And the shopping, dining and entertainment are front and center.

Attachments

• south-street-seaport.jpg
    south-street-seaport.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
The Big GIG needs a head count

That master Mai tre d' and guru of gastronomical greatness has selected a watering hole for dinner after the motorcycle show. It is El Quijote.

Two Reviews from the web

Hidden Treasure...
I took my boyfriend here for our 4 year anniversary. He loves seafood. I worked down the block from this restaurant for 3 years and never noticed. After searching online I decided to try it. The food was fabulous. The stuffed food is great because they don't use canned crab meat, it's fresh crab meat. The service is prompt and polite. It's a tiny cozy atmosphere, not too nosey or busy. Some of the items on the menu can be pricey, for example, Coronas. Anyway, the food is great!

The Second Review

This is the kind of place to bring a large group and let everybody share. For Mother's Day a couple of years back, my husband and I brought my Mother and Father-in-law, my husbands brother, My parents and my grandmother. We got multiple plates of garlic shrimp, mushrooms in Garlic sauce, stuffed mushrooms, and antipasto plates for all to share. All our entrees came with salad, and some came with soup. Their garlic soup is very flavorful, but a touch on the oily side. There is something for everyone on this menu. My grandmother, who is 84 isn't very adventurous in eating so she stuck with Arroz con Pollo (Chicken and rice). I'm can't remember the exact price of her dish, but I know it was under $14. My mother-in-law always gets a double-cut veal chop and is never disappointed. It is huge, barely fitting on the big oval plate! She always takes half home. Other very popular dishes with our families are the baby lamb chops, and their seafood. But by far, what makes them stand out above other places is the 1 pound lobster tail. Yes, I said TAIL, not the whole lobster, JUST THE TAIL!!! Like the other person who reviewed this restaurant said, It is more like a lobster steak, than a tail. Be prepared that this tail may not be as tender as smaller lobster tails, but WOW, it is worth getting just for the visuals. You won't be disappointed in the taste, either. It costs $30 normally, but they charged extra on Mother's day.

Everything comes with side dishes, too. They offer fresh vegetables, like broccoli and green beans, crispy thinly-sliced potato chips and yellow rice. These are served family style, with large plates strategically placed around the table. If you have any room left, they offer a wide selection of desserts, including a rich and creamy tiramisu, and a light and airy pignolli nut cake. Our Mother's Day feast for Eight set us back around $300, without tip, but everybody enjoyed themselves and the portions were more than ample. Once you've tried this place, you'll be a repeat customer.

So Now We Need a head count. Either PM me or make a response here.

Thank You!

Attachments

• headcount.gif
    headcount.gif
    38.6 KB · Views: 120
That master Mai tre d' and guru of gastronomical greatness has selected a watering hole for dinner after the motorcycle show. It is El Quijote.

Two Reviews from the web

Hidden Treasure...
I took my boyfriend here for our 4 year anniversary. He loves seafood. I worked down the block from this restaurant for 3 years and never noticed. After searching online I decided to try it. The food was fabulous. The stuffed food is great because they don't use canned crab meat, it's fresh crab meat. The service is prompt and polite. It's a tiny cozy atmosphere, not too nosey or busy. Some of the items on the menu can be pricey, for example, Coronas. Anyway, the food is great!

The Second Review

This is the kind of place to bring a large group and let everybody share. For Mother's Day a couple of years back, my husband and I brought my Mother and Father-in-law, my husbands brother, My parents and my grandmother. We got multiple plates of garlic shrimp, mushrooms in Garlic sauce, stuffed mushrooms, and antipasto plates for all to share. All our entrees came with salad, and some came with soup. Their garlic soup is very flavorful, but a touch on the oily side. There is something for everyone on this menu. My grandmother, who is 84 isn't very adventurous in eating so she stuck with Arroz con Pollo (Chicken and rice). I'm can't remember the exact price of her dish, but I know it was under $14. My mother-in-law always gets a double-cut veal chop and is never disappointed. It is huge, barely fitting on the big oval plate! She always takes half home. Other very popular dishes with our families are the baby lamb chops, and their seafood. But by far, what makes them stand out above other places is the 1 pound lobster tail. Yes, I said TAIL, not the whole lobster, JUST THE TAIL!!! Like the other person who reviewed this restaurant said, It is more like a lobster steak, than a tail. Be prepared that this tail may not be as tender as smaller lobster tails, but WOW, it is worth getting just for the visuals. You won't be disappointed in the taste, either. It costs $30 normally, but they charged extra on Mother's day.

Everything comes with side dishes, too. They offer fresh vegetables, like broccoli and green beans, crispy thinly-sliced potato chips and yellow rice. These are served family style, with large plates strategically placed around the table. If you have any room left, they offer a wide selection of desserts, including a rich and creamy tiramisu, and a light and airy pignolli nut cake. Our Mother's Day feast for Eight set us back around $300, without tip, but everybody enjoyed themselves and the portions were more than ample. Once you've tried this place, you'll be a repeat customer.

So Now We Need a head count. Either PM me or make a response here.

Thank You!

Paul, is that the place on 23rd street in the Chelsea Hotel or thereabouts.. If so Menu is attached http://www.menupages.com/restaurantdetails.asp?neighborhoodid=0&restaurantid=4055

Not in yet

I just made plans to be in China on business leaving Monday.. I'm not sure when I'll be back at the moment but I will try and get back in time for the Big Gig.

Back