• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tobinators for the R1150GS

fish

Megalodon
I work my ass off all week and then on the weekends, fishwife has me working off what's left of my ass around the house. First thing this morning, it was off to get a load of firewood (yes, a quarter cord of almond wood fits nicely in the back of a Jeep Grand Cherokee :1drink), and after a light lunch, I was instructed to get moving and install those "silly things that came in the package from the UK." What drudgery...having to work on my GS, and spend a couple of hours riding around to get them adjusted. Whatever happened to plopping down in a comfy chair, drinking beer, and watching a football game? Ah well, duty calls.

One of the best parts of installing Tobinators is using a Dremel tool :thumb

1352522-M.jpg

You can see that Tobinators raise the screen up significantly, which opens up the air space between above the "number plate". That makes a lot of difference in smoothing the airflow.

1352523-L.jpg

I didn't try to use all the possible adjustment range...and there is a lot of it. I started at the suggested position, and massaged it from there.

1352524-L.jpg

Very small changes, especially to the rear riser, make significant differences in the airflow. Add to that the extra adjustment capability of the MRA varioscreen, and it's possible to dramatically improve the noise and turbulence associated with the GS.

I could have spent another couple of hours dicking with it, but I had to get home to my SNPA.

1352525-L.jpg

Bottom line: The additional adjustment range that Tobinators give to the stock GS screen makes them a worthy investment. If you are happy with your wind screen the way it is, then don't bother, but if you hate noise and turbulence, the Tobinators are a good way to go. I'm not aware of anything else on the market that competes in this space. Well done, Tobers :thumb

http://www.stopthebuffeting.com

Fish -- nice write up. Nice beer, too. My FAVE!

I've been looking at this product for quite some time.

I notice that you keep your shield positioned much as I do... leaned way back. Does the air flow break at about your shoulders with the shield positioned as you show it in your pics?

Can you tell me how stable this set-up is when riding on gravel/bumpy roads?

Do you feel that the product will stand up to contant vibes of rough road riding?

Can I bum a beer off you? :drink

Thanks!

Ian

But, Fish, aren't you one of those people that made fun of the looks of the pope mobile? Is this combo really any better?
(serious question) I hate to admit that the looks put me off, but with the screen propped up like that, it reminds me of an old school trucker's baseball cap (not a good thing).

Please post some pics showing the entire bike. :D

Back