• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Slick, sliding pants

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
glwestcott said:
An Alaska leather sheepskin.
I found quite the opposite. I ride with well-broken-in leather pants on my R1150R, and after I installed an Alaska sheepskin, I was sliding all over. I figure it might be the lanolin in the wool.

Fred

Sit a little higher, don't slide

Try an Allyn Air Seat. It is a heavy duty air mattress made to fit a motorcycle seat and you can inflate it to get the ride you want. They have a tubular construction which helps limit fore and aft movement. They attach with ties under the seat. A pretty basic concept made of heavy vinyl and sells for around $40, depending on size. Dennis Kirk sold them in the early 80's, but no longer. I recently ordered one direct from the manufacturer located in Woodstock, NY.

Last edited:
Armorall is part of problem

Ridealot said:
This might not be your problem but its one thing I learned the hard way years ago. Never put Armorall on the seat. Back when I raced Flattrack my Dad had Armoralled the seat. Made the bike seat look great, but it was slicker than snot. I found this out at the starting line about 1/2 second after I dumped the clutch. It is not easy to shut the throttle when you are rapidly sliding off the back of the seat!
:bikes Especially when I can stay on the thing.

Yikes, you are correct. the new pants & Armorall were applied to the seat in same week. I'll not be using anything like it again. Will also be looking for a way to add or change basic desing of seat
Thanks

Jack

Plase Don't Hit On Armorall

That stuff was responsible for my getting VERY intimate with my old /5 steering head the first time I hit the brakes after applying it to the seat. Yep to this day I cringe at being recognized as the clown that slid over his gas tank in a panic stop.

I think years ago Paul Simon had a BMW and had the same problem. He wrote a song about it called, "Slick sliding away".

Back