• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Considering a New seat for my K

S

SweetT

Hello everyone, I would like to replace the stock low seat on my K75 with one that is more comfortable for long distance rides. Any reccomendations? Are there any significant differeneces between Russell and Mayer and Sargent?

Thanks,
Tarren Shaw
Stillwater, OK

A Possibility.......

I'll suggest this without assumption of skill level / comfort zone.
I make my own seats, both pan & foam. I then take the result to a good upholsterer for a cover.
1> get a pan from somewhere, since it's a stock machine.
2> go to an upholsterer & get the foam to be used.
3> get a can of 3M interior spray glue (spray contact cement)
4> attach foam blocks in closest configuration to shape desired
5> use an electric carving knife (dual reciprocating blades) to coarse shape
6> use a heat gun to melt (careful here) the rough cut marks & edges & smooth it somewhat
7> take a strong material (canvas etc) & stretch it over to finish the smoothing of the foam
8> take to upholsterer for a cover

Having described this, steps 4> & 5> can be run in a loop to fine tune just what works for you. I wrap mine with a decent cotton layer to ride it until I'm confident I want to finalize that shape. Covering in leather runs me $200-$300 depending on shape, cording, color etc. This embodies the best of custom: pain in butt for time & materials VS getting EXACTLY what you want & the satisfaction of knowing you can do it again if need be.

On our bikes we have a stock seat, one Corbin and two Sargents. The Sargents are terrific.

Sargent Seats

I just ordered a Sargent seat for my K12RS. Although more expensive than other custom seats, you're getting some great quality workmanship in my opinion.

Good luck.

93 K1100RS
Tried a Corbin and hated it.
Have a Russell & love it. But, I do sit higher with it & ended up switching handle bars to get just the right riding position.

what model K75 do you have?

I have a standard K75 with a low seat, but I have long legs, so the seat height is not that important. Thanks for all the advice, I think I will probably go with a Mayer since the Russel seems to be, uh... more "aesthetically challenged." Ha!

Tarren Shaw

Had a Corbin Touring model on the K100 and loved it.

Put a Canyon Sport model on the K75RT and hated it.

Riding the stock seat on the K11 with a sheepskin pad and it's fine for my present riding needs.

Seat Arrived...

As mentioned previously, I had ordered a Sargent custom seat for my K12RS...

Well, it arrived. It fit better than the stock BMW seat and the underside storage compartment is great for registration and other pertinent papers.

Attachments

• mvc-025s.jpg
    mvc-025s.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 317
Back