• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

The Oasis of my Soul... Life Under the Stars...

423066466_sQcen-L.jpg

Gallery Nights in Alpine, Texas

ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ must be lonely by now! She has been left behind since Friday. Today she is 210 miles away as we are now in OdessaÔÇÖs Hospital Parking Lot with our winter base camp ÔÇ£The White ElephantÔÇØ. It was however 2 greats nights in Alpine, camped right across from the Kiowa Gallery where the JourneyÔÇÖs Photos displayed had some great feedback and even a couple sales. I call it ÔÇ£AmazingÔÇØ. The crowds were out in full force for both nights, a nice pleasant crowd, much music, much dancing and much food everywhere! The support from other local Artists has also been such a welcome gesture and so has been the kindness of Keri, the owner of the Gallery.
I would call it a perfect time
Now of course waiting for the dreaded Nuclear stress test, the only way to have all the cards in hand for a decision toward the future I think it is going to be good, everything else has been
Much more on the Blog
Be well and thank you all for the great support you have given me and Spirit.
Ara & Spirit

424534675_W7CWM-L.jpg

After Gallery Nights, Texas

I feel as I am now finally waking up from a long awaken sleep. The stress test is behind, the physician changing it to a chemically induced process with results on December the 2nd. I shall not think about it till then as soon as these side effects disappear. How good can all this be for the body including slightly radioactive chemicals? Lesser of two evils? Afraid to search
ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ is being pulled out of its Desert shelter in a few minutes, it is time to regroup soon and get back to our abnormal normal Life.
ÔÇ£Gallery NightsÔÇØ are just a memory now, a great one, and the search for more magical photos of our Journey is right around the corner.
I always wonder where this is going! All we can do is enjoy the ride, there has not been any complains from neither of us these past two year!
More photos of the Alpine Gallery Nights on the Blog
Be well
Always.
Ara & Spirit

Hey Ara!

Congrats on your gallery showing! How exciting is that? Excellent work hanging on the walls.

Here's to the successful outcome of your tests :thumb

Give Spirit a big hug for me.

Hey Ara!

Congrats on your gallery showing! How exciting is that? Excellent work hanging on the walls.

Here's to the successful outcome of your tests :thumb

Give Spirit a big hug for me.

Amongst all I always thought "you" would appreciate it...
Thanks "Ian"... amazing what one can do without "photoshop"....
Be well... Ara & Spirit

Ara and Spirit

Have a Happy Thanksgiving and enjoy the Rider from La Mancha. Miquel could use a good story to tell the folks back home so create a great one. :thumb

All the best

We took good care of him as it should be... Thanks!

426121620_wsBEi-L.jpg

Our Thanksgiving Texas

150 miles or so from here, the ÔÇ£blue lightÔÇØ specials must be screaming in the aisles of the urban smorgasbords of consumerism. At ÔÇ£the OasisÔÇØ, here, the good weather and full sunlight, mild temperatures, silence, peace and serenity are on ÔÇ£specialÔÇØ, combined with yesterdayÔÇÖs great memories of a Thanksgiving spend with Friends we now call Family.
You cannot buy it, cannot lease it or borrow it! It happens as I can only wish it happens to you all.
It was great food, great laughter, great company that filled our cup running these past days on almost empty.
Even Spirit had a great time and moments. A true gentleman well behaved around our food and his own encounters with Desert dwellers, goats and other dogs, the later while taking a stroll to the Cowhead Ranch near by, a great place to stay while in the area and experience the real Texas Life as it use to be.
A full report on the Blog
Be well Ara & Spirit

427335421_S5KaS-L-1.jpg

Our Postal Route.Tx

Not just any route but one of the most beautiful road this country has to offer. Roughly a 160 mile round trip which I always wondered how I would feel if it was my job. I guess my conclusion is, all is a matter of the individual if it would turn into a daily grind or a daily Journey discovering every day a new facet of the route. Definitely a job unlike other.
We have some Friends visiting from Booth, south of Houston. Carl and Colette and their own Friend Judy. We stayed with them for about a week a year or so ago, it is so nice to see familiar faces, catch up on the old times, talk about the future times. They have brought us a load of Pecan wood broken off the trees of their property since the last storm, wood is so valuable here and this will allow us to have much entertainment and outside warmth throughout the winter months coming up.
The ÔÇ£routeÔÇØ is on the Blog!

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

430195409_jRBLr-L.jpg

A “milestone”, to “Good Health”, Friends and more Adventures.

Every day is a new beginning, but today feels a bit above them all. A clean bill of health, at least highly passable considering past history, has brought some calm and peacefulness throughout my moments. Every day this “Journey” has had a new page, but today it is a new chapter as I feel I can rest and at the same time look forward to some new adventures, new roads, new photos as Mother Nature has always never failed welcoming us in the midst of her landscape. Always in touch with my inner senses, they have also matured surrounded by Friends and you all that have carried me to this point sound and safely. There is a value of Life itself unknown or maybe a bit foggy in the past that has now taken such a clearer and definite shape within, the Human aspect amongst us all.
We have spend these past few days with some wonderful Friends, Carl, Colette and Judy. It is not the distances we never covered but the quality of the moments together. Carl never had even a chance to ride his bike! That says it all… doesn’t it?
Their story I should have really titled “wood good” is on the Blog.
Be well, always, and stay well. Ara and my buddy Spirit.

Last edited:

431499871_yEJ66-L.jpg

Sometimes he also writes! Tx

That is the case today when Spirit last night took over the keyboard to express his own feelings. After all, I am only the ÔÇ£chauffeurÔÇØ of this specie that has taken not quite yet, but will soon, over the World. They are the quiet ÔÇ£majorityÔÇØ, we just donÔÇÖt know it yet.
Winter has definitely showed his face around here, comparing to temperatures up North however I will only get teased if I complained that it was 41 degrees when we left for some errands in Alpine. Today, this afternoon it was close to 80! Good time to come and visit if anyone is planning a route to Big Bend and its vicinity.
We met up with a couple riders from Louisiana, today a couple from Austin and I think I need to be rescued by a notebook and pencil, I need to start writing down names!
Spirit was not too harsh on me, he just likes to make a point once in a while on the Blog.
Be well Ara & Spirit

433654209_hWK6Q-L.jpg

A ÔÇ£soulful neighborÔÇØ, Tx

It has become so strange about loosing days here. I sometimes look at a calendar, compare it to some recent writing or photography and realize that more days have passed than I thought. My neighbor a few miles down the road, John, he just celebrated his one year anniversary on his own land, totally self contained, on a different path than us, but with the same attraction toward these vast and empty spaces.
There is such an individuality here that it makes it interesting to visit others and see and be explained in depth how they are surviving.
If you are wondering what happened to Spirits color that is about the norm by the end of the day as we live, eat, sleep and breathe dust. A dust here called adobe, fine powder, as fine as talcum powder and the main reason why we welcome rain so much!
Hope you enjoy his dwelling on the Blog we sure did.
Be well Ara & Spirit

434404755_JMU7i-L.jpg

A new Christmas Tradition, Tx

So there is a story that goes about a ÔÇ£rock soupÔÇØ. There was nothing to cook with, so rocks went into the pot and slowly everyone threw in something eatable and the soup appeared!
Kind of like that We will be christening the new fire pit this Saturday and I will be offering some soup and bread, even dessert cooked in the fire. It is actually a Christmas memory as I did the same thing about 30 years ago or more It has been a full circle.
ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ also is getting ready for the road. The extra fuel and water situation is taken care off, now waiting for a couple parts, cracked luggage rack and leaky oil filler ring. Small items but needing attention.
Spirit? Happy as ever running full blast on this new path that I have been clearing, he has switched to a stick now often not the same! treats good he keeps telling me
More on the Blog in a few more words.
Be well Ara & Spirit

437025658_GRLv7-L.jpg

Some days are better than others Tx.
I can only wish for everyone to have such a day during your Holidays whichever environment you might be in, urban or amongst Mother Nature as those warm and fuzzy feelings of Friendships are all within. From preparing our ÔÇ£rock soupÔÇØ on the fire, to baking our bread for all to share, every step only brought us all closer together with ourselves and amongst us.
Like a magnet for our souls, the fire ring has been the center of our get together to celebrate this first Christmas Tradition. Complemented by a short drive to an empty creek bed for rock hunting, a bit then further to discover the most beautiful swimming hole I have ever experienced, to some cooked on coals stuffed bananas, conversations with no end bringing us from all walks of Life together what more can I say? Even Spirit and Heidi blending in throughout these hours of joy and togetherness, it has been the perfect day. The greatest Christmas present we could have ever received. You cannot buy it, lease it or rent it you cannot even borrow it you have to make it! There are a couple new entries on the Blog hoping they reflect your own good times. Be well always. Ara & Spirit
(RSS feed subscription, bottom of each Blog will avoid you to miss any)

438649439_Sy9dV-L.jpg

My imaginary bridge, Tx.

These times, specially for me, brings much reflection to all days, past and present, not much for the future however. I let those guide themselves as they will anyhow. We have been spending much time at this ÔÇ£swimming holeÔÇØ lately. I wonÔÇÖt tell you where it is, however when you visit, I will take you there. Every square inch is a work of Art, so much that I just cannot imagine how it all came about, the shapes, the crevasses, the waves and smoothness within the rocks, it is such eye candy that we sit there for hours and this time wrote down some of my thoughts.
The road leading is good, a bit washy at the end as I managed to take a little detour without any problems.
The weather has been cooperating as never before. It was over 80 degrees today, for the first time I was ÔÇ£hotÔÇØ, amazing for December.
It is time to get the tent up again and let Old Faithful point into a direction
More on the Blog Be well Ara & Spirit

440067084_NJXL5-L.jpg

The Main Ingredients Tx

I guess it is bound to happen throughout these Holidays with the gazillions packages crisscrossing the country, to receive someone elses merchandise! Twice It is also amazing that little parts can hold up the big parts from moving too far as well as they should anyhow, such as a camera and a bike.
So we wait and taste the local flavors always abundant, there is always something going on in this part of the country as long as one is willing to go the extra mile. And if nothing is happening, someone will make it happen and we will know about it very quickly.
Last night was a Science Art Show, or something like that maybe called Weird Art? The highlight was worth the wait, three Fire Dancers with a great show backed by the sound of drums and music.
I have been thinking also a lot about the ready made, right here, free for the taking ingredients we use daily
More on the Blog

Be well Ara & Spirit

441550951_czjCz-L.jpg

On with Christmas, Tx

Very fitting to witness a Nativity live scene in Alpine, even if the temperatures were below freezing. That is when a car is used how nice! Four wheels and a roof, they even come with a heater! In the meantime in Terlingua, on a Friends property, Roger aka UNCLE, riders from all over Texas and further are flocking in for what now seems to be an annual pilgrimage to Big Bend. They have been welcomed by the cold snap but all this will change by tomorrow when we get up into the 70s for some great riding. We have visitors from England on their way to no destination on their own two wheels. They have brightened up the moments spend together with much laughter and a positive attitude so needed throughout these Holidays. It is as we have been transported into a more jovial space as we will even attend a Christmas evening gathering with the same cast of characters where even Spirit is welcome to attend so important to be around such dog friendly Friends as he is more than ever part of this Life of mine.
Always more on the Blog where the chapters only increases by the day!
Be well Ara & Spirit HAPPY AND HEALTHY HOLIDAYS

442997399_zNhyT-L.jpg

And it was Christmas Day, Tx

I can only hope that everyone has had a Christmas Eve and Day as fulfilled as ours, surrounded by a great presence with its true meaning unlike a commercial that would only run for 60 seconds. I was dreading these times filled with the memories passed with Lance as they are these past years, missing him does not begin to express my inner feelings. But again, Friends, my adopted Family, they all have come forward and let us in within their grasp without a single moment of despair, only laughter, great food and great times. This was in itself the greatest Gift we could receive as more and more I realize that true Gifts of Life are never purchased but passed on by kind and caring Human Beings as it should be. We rode next door, we rode to Terlingua to meet some riders gathered as they do every year at Uncle, we went then north for more food, just an excuse for great company. Even Santa visited us yesterday, imagine that, in the middle of nowhere Santas appaearance! Where else could this happen?
Enjoy the Blog we sure did its contents!
Be well Ara & Spirit

444203367_4hJCz-L.jpg

Big BendÔÇÖs Hot Springs, Tx

So we went to the wrong Hot Springs? Not really the weather early morning did not allow us to leave, turning to an icicle going down the road was only an option when I was young. The Big Bend Hot Springs are also so much worth their visit. The path leading to it is a magical one displaying its geological age counted in the millions. Remains of the old buildings which were once a Spa (!!!) are still standing, their grounds covered with mud from the recent water overflow and now dry and weathered as the skin of a thousand year old being. It was short and sweet, dogs of course are not allowed on the trails and I dont care for leaving Spirit behind by himself too long. He might get bored!!!
Today is a different story, the winds have died, the sun is hot and my buddy is baking in the sun for his beauty rest of course with no help whatsoever throughout my continuous packing of Old Faithful. Tomorrow looks very promising
More photos on the Blog, donÔÇÖt miss it if in the area.

Be well Ara & Spirit

446429471_pVrbX-L.jpg

Big Bend ÔÇ£State ParkÔÇØ. Tx

Wishing everyone a ÔÇ£Happy New YearÔÇØ filled with much Health and well being inside out.
We just returned from quite an experience in Big Bend State Park, not the National Park. Amazed at so few people around, and then again we ourselves had never been there and to get there is a lengthy process. The prize at the end is more than worth it, specially if one likes to ride, drive, on dirt road of much variety. From maintained all the way to some leading to primitive campsites where you will need a permit and a very high clearance 4x4 vehicle. Tires? 2 spares is a good idea, a very good one as we had a flat and left open to no spare. One needs to also stop in Presidio for fuel before going in. Besides that there is water, great home cooked meals, hot showers and even WI FI! Not the greatest but it works for e mails fairly well.
Some of the adventure, the first part, is on the Blog.

Be well, Ara & Spirit

447988133_QWPh6-L.jpg

More of Big Bend ÔÇ£State ParkÔÇØ. Tx

Back and settled here again at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ we are now waiting for some parts for a bit more improved camping. Tent stakes, tire tubes, anything that we cannot purchase here and has to come through the mail. The Park is definitely a destination to go back to, so Dog Friendly that Spirit even thinks so.
The weather has warmed up here, in the eighties today, I am sure when we are ready to take off for Death Valley it will get colder Murphys Law! Bikes run better in cold weather anyhow.
Those were some good days, quiet, great view and great space to spend some time even if it was a bit short for us.
On another front, a rescued Pit Jasmine has made the cover of Sports Illustrated and that is great news for all Spirits cousins as you need to see the photo of another Pit published 22 years ago. Night and day
Till next time be well.
Ara & Spirit

449961346_URs3h-L.jpg

The faces of Terlingua, Tx.
If the tale is right, if it is good luck to eat black eye peas on the first of the New Year, well then 2009 should glide by us in flying colors. There was no lack of the many dishes displayed at the Porch in Terlingua on the First. I even made my own the next day to feed Spirit some, after all, he also deserves all the luck he can get.
It was a great day, I like its custom, everyone very colorful, wearing great smiles and even though we are not in Terlingua, or Alpine for that matter, I felt part of a great community.
Today is errands in Alpine, trying to get it all together for us to leave this coming weekend for Death Valley as I am drawn to it at this time of the year. We have never really explored that area and the anticipation to familiarize myself as I have with other spaces is keeping me going.
I hope the weather helps us out, I am looking forward to its photography as much as the riding and learning of its history and geology. Who knows how long we will be gone, no definite plans as usual.
Some faces of Terlingua on the Blog Be well, always
Ara & Spirit

Back