• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

Wow Great pics

:type Love the places and pictures of the places you visited
Exelent side car I camped out on the Cabot Trail so many stars. :lurk

Beemerchef said:
It is a ÔÇ£commuteÔÇØ day for us... not a long one as I need to regroup and decide where I will make home for a while... Your comments, you should know, are always appreciated. And also... while in an area maybe interesting to you, if needing any information, just let me know. I will be happy to look it up... let me be your... traveling agent! I would say us... but Spirit is turning out to be a lazy bum on this Journey...
Someone has to do it!... and write about it... this is your own backyard, accessible... right under your nose, no Oceans to cross, we all speak the same language, the food is good, the water drinkable... and how can you not love your... ATM!
Lets see what you think after reading about it...

114343595-M.jpg

Ara & Spirit

I have done trips through this area many times. It is one of my favorite areas in the US. Did you get to do "The Slide" during your float trip?

I worked at the Boquios Research Center in Big Bend long ago and your picture brings back good memorys of this area.

Thanks for sharing this picture.

TKE

And it is Xmas Day on the road...

There has been only one ÔÇ£no goodÔÇØ weather day... and that was yesterday, I cannot even call it bad...
Last night the wind must have been blowing at around 50mph... Mike and John, that was John by the way... not James!... took refuge in their truck... the tough girls, Anna and Becca endured somehow the night in their tent. Real troopers... From Chicago and Texas... would you expect any less?
And the day cleared up and the ride was awesome... as usual... full report in the Blog...

118814558-M.jpg

Hope you are all having a great day, Many Thanks to all the great wishes I received... it sure is nice to know that friends think of me...

From Ara and Spirit... have a great one... and stay well...

Going to be hard leaving here...

119178994-L.jpg

Some thoughts went through my mind this morning as I was reading VIVID1's ride report...
I have been out of their shoes these days... but I remember how they fitted not so long ago. I live on the road, like Martha and Bob which I met today... we all ride... but there is more for us... we live on the road... there is no timetable... riding is primordial but it is not all, and, even from my past trips this is what I enjoy I have to say... riding has become the vehicle to able me living this life now with an array and multitude of other interests daily
There is just something about Big Bend... I still remember reading a couple E mails send to me even before my decision to come here... they said ÔÇ£you will fit right inÔÇØ... and I thought... what do they mean by that? Do I need to look at myself in the mirror? One cannot help wondering what is awaiting at the other end when such a comment is delivered.
And I am starting to understand... my friends do know me well... like a puzzle I do feel like I was a missing piece. It feels like home... even some locals that I have met thought that I lived here!
And it is almost like... I should! The riding?... well, it is endless my friends... ÔÇ£Croton SpringsÔÇØ... ÔÇ£Paint GapÔÇØ... those were two news roads yesterday!... and there is more... much more.
There is a change today... There will be no link to SmugMug... In my search to improve this Blogging situation I found a better way to import pictures... and at the same time... I am still working on a website...
Hope you like the Blog

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

Chef, I some how have missed your adventure. You go!
I did the country for 11 months in 1982 on a 77 R100RS. I was ony 22 and it helped make me the man I am. Many years later I'm still on a BMW, and still have the wanderer in my soul.
Thank you for allowing us to share your adventure.
Please PM me if you come thru Phoenix AZ.

Roger

Thanks

Chef, Great posts! Please keep them coming! A question for you; Why? Is this some sort of quest or are you on this trip to just be on this trip? It seems I missed a few pages somewhere. I guess you really don't need a reason to travel. If you are close to WI send us a messege so we can swap recipes. :type

The wheels keep coming...

Why?... Why?... Not being smart but... "because I can?"... I can and at the same time it does not answer the question... I wil write why soon... in depth.
Promise... it is complexe and simple at the same time... Thanks for caring.
119338970-L.jpg

I found my original Big Bend National Park entrance map last night... it is dated the 12th of December... Have I been here that long?... I am taking roots... and still discovering the town, so unique... still discovering new riding... river beds are my new ÔÇ£thingÔÇØ as 98% of Texas land is privately owned... found myself sitting in KathyÔÇÖs office... some chairs around the fire ring in front of her Kosmic Xafe... for a couple hours... by the road... the local source of gossips... waiving at most cars passing by and meeting more strangers... everyone has a story... a couple professional photographers wanting to take some shots of the rig and Spirit... no, not of me!... and more riding... not a problem...
More riding... and more riders are showing up... they want to see the ÔÇ£girlÔÇØ that planted this destination in their mind... I am and have not be alone for a while now... and the company is awesome... including sharing some Pizzas for dinner... as it is written in the Blog...
Busy... busy... busy... I keep saying... ÔÇ£I need a vacation...!ÔÇØ
Today will be my first ride through the State Park, back through the river road to get there... versus the National Park which I still have to finish exploring and probably will not, leaving some for the next visit.
Till later... you be well...

Ara & Spirit

Not biting... but eating the dust!

119565276-L.jpg

This is one of those days when you have to think by itÔÇÖs end... any riding is better than none...
When you have to think, well we made it, we build up character, fought the wind, the sand blowing... never reached our destination... but we rode! This was not all however... we met some riders that knew me... and I knew them too... from the Forums... go figure that one in the middle of nowhere.
I might be wrong... geographically it is far down south... but I have stopped to think as Big Bend being in the middle of nowhere for many minds... there are been a sudden growth in the population!... and more to come... as you can read in the Blog...
The rain has finally, for the first time since being here, arrived... I can now lay back and write!
Be well...

Ara & Spirit

Your writing style is compelling! I'm so glad you're sharing your adventure with us all.

Hard to believe they had snow in Alpine today. Just 80 sMiles from you.

Paul and I are back from our Christmas wander. See you soon.

Voni
sMiling

More good friends...

119772600-L.jpg

It suddenly hit me this morning, there is a whole winter ahead of me... cold weather for Spirit, myself also I am not denying, short days... where to go? No, it is not a problem by far, there is a need for a wise decision to be taken for both of us, as the 3rd is approaching, departure day from Big Bend that is closer than ever to my heart and my well being. For years, I have waited for a spark from my senses to ignite a desire to stay in one place... and as much as Big Bend has... I know myself well enough, bohemian blood running in me, I cannot stay still for too long.
Fort Davis has been my planned next destination, I know only a few miles up, but providing a totally different surrounding and vision. New Mexico, Arizona... all on the way West... but again, winter is making its mark and being in a no-riding situation is not an option!
My logic is leaning me toward a straight flight to the southern west coast... Anza Borrego and its surroundings... will it be warmer? Get situated, explore a bit of that beautiful land... and... head south to Baja, Mexico... Rig and Spirit only, leaving the camper and trailer safely behind with maybe someone offering some space.
I have time to think about it...
In the meantime, David and Mike showed up... truck, trailer and bikes... kitchen, outdoor heater... well seasoned campers!... Was a blast to cook for them... you can read it and see it on the Blog!
Be well...
Till later... Ara & Spirit

Riding into the New Year...

120064891-L.jpg

As the year is closing on us, I feel like there are lifeÔÇÖs aspects I need to think about, maybe resolutions to take, try to better our life somehow... but I cannot find anything. I already live to the fullest every day, I can only on this occasion step back a bit and look around me, sometimes amazed at my own path. I am on the path of my desires, hoping some happiness for Spirit and missing my loved ones, the ones too far away to see and the departed ones...
Actually, I look forward to next year, a whole year on the road as I have only done 6 months at the time. There has been some incredible growth in just these past two months, incredible people I have met, the start seems so far away, even geographically as I have been so absorbed by my immediate surroundings... and the finish... I hope that there is none!
Wishing you all a Happy New Year, a healthy one, both physically and mentally... the rest will come.
It has been short rides the past day, still sore from fighting the strong winds on our way to Presidio, a bit of snow and fog has made the scenery and the ride even more enjoyable... after a couple cloudy days, the sun stands up high in the sky as a daily gift again, I think also sending great wishes for the coming New Year... and there is more on the Blog...
I think the pages have been saturated with the rigÔÇÖs pictures... not that you will not see more of it, but today... my buddy Spirit... comfy and warm... is on the front page!

See you next year...

Ara and Spirit

Ara,

Thanks so much for sharing your journey with us. Peace be with you in
the New Year!

A great start with a great ride...

120376357-L.jpg

Thanks Ian...
I could not help feel a bit of emptiness last night after saying my goodbyes to David and Mike!
The campground again was empty, every one had come and gone, no one left on the hill... these pasts days were filled with engines starting, late night talks, much riding... much eating, and now again... left... just Spirit and I... back to our scheduled programming I thought!!!
What schedule?
The year started with a great ride yesterday... South County Road to North County Road, then north toward Alpine, east toward Terlingua Ranch, Marathon road toward 385... great weather, great company and roads... much fun as you can read about it on the Blog...
John, Mike, Becca, Felipe, Wayne, Byron, David, Mike, Anna, Big Don and Lobby from on the road... even you, the odd Texas Pete... and I have the feeling that I am forgetting some names here... thanks for your presence and making these Holidays some memorable ones... Maybe again next year?
You be well...
Ara & Spirit

Ara, Happy New Year!

I continue to enjoy reading about your adventure - I like the 'new' blog as well...

I particularly like the panorama shots of Big Bend - it makes me miss it all that much more! The snow shot up in/near the Basin and the Study Butte picture are fabulous...

Safe travels!

I hate to see you and Spirit go, but thanks for letting us follow along on your blog!

Voni
sMiling

Happy New Year Ara! :clap Thanks for the ride report and your blog, you take better pics than you think :heart . You're living a dream of mine! Please keep it going! :thumb :lurk

About packing and how we live...

120595796-L.jpg

My last sunset on the hill... an untouched photo as the camera took it!... just in case you were wondering... A waive, a smile, a going away present before our departure? You be the judge of it as I have been taking sunrise and sunset pictures throughout my stay... and none compare to this none.
Day to pack... re-arrange things in a better fashion, which worked out much better. It is the first time since I have left, but I am sure it will not be the last time.
Some more good byes and while trying to put some order in this minuscule camper of ours... I just thought about showing you how and where we live! It is kind of a mess... two extra books and it is overcrowded!...
You can see it all in the Blog... tomorrow we will be in Fort Davis, exploring also Marfa and Balmorhea, Mc Donald Observatory...
You be well...

Good Bye Big Bend... you have been kind to us...

Ara & Spirit

Mining the gems of your wisdom:

The truth is... my living room is what you see in the pictures...
the outdoor world is my home..

Safe travels. Thanks for the pictures! And your friendship.

The sunset - amazing!

Voni
sMiling

Chef,
Great reports and photos! If you don't mind, what kind of bike and sidecar do you have. Looks like a very comfortable setup.
flynride.

Back