• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

924842830_S7mmm-L.jpg

Coos Bay. OR

This is when everyone goes home and we come out of behind the ÔÇ£boulderÔÇØ. Trees by the beach in this scenario for the past days. 4th of July however was a great ride, a great loop through Coquille to Roseburg and back west through 138 and 38. The roads were empty, no traffic, everyone busy with Parades in towns and BBQ's I could see and smell while passing through them. It has been windy, cold with only some rare times of warmth. The heat is inland and tomorrow we are finally leaving the coast for Oregon City and who knows ÔÇ£whereÔÇØ afterward. No plans, probably camp at the base of Mt Hood, somewhere hopefully remote as I was thinking today how crowded this area is. I have been reading ÔÇ£Desert SolitaireÔÇØ by Edward Abby and I am slowly missing my ÔÇ£DesertÔÇØ. There is none like it. His words keep transporting me and more and more I am missing it. The food has been good, great and fresh ingredients all around, so much so besides some fresh salmon I have not had any meat at all. That might change when I see a butcher, maybe in a small village on our way north. One more tire tomorrow (it seems as an endless task!) and we will be rolling... again.
Be well...
Ara & Spirit

927148772_LNeav-L.jpg

A great loop... OR

Of course I am in tune with the fact that we can travel at lightning speeds, even ourselves as slow as I like to move on. Right now, today, it is as we suddenly went through the wall in more ways than one. Yesterday was a great day, today I am trying my best to not much avail. We are in Oregon City amongst seemingly a million other vehicles and three digit temperatures. It is for a good cause to have ÔÇ£Old Faithful'sÔÇØ shocks serviced and be back again on the go Friday. It will then be decision time to head on south or go back west, north west, where the much cooler temperatures prevail with of course at this time of the year also much southerly winds. It is the same winds trying to keep on our tail which made me ride this loop I wrote about, a loop ending up to be one of the greatest rides, including smooth pavements, nicely curved path, scenery always outstanding, nothing short of some day riding it again. Spirit is recuperating, he is passed out, he is not doing so good anymore with the heat. It hit us like a hammer on the head, we are totally spoiled with cooler temperatures.
Enjoy the ride...
Be well.
Ara & Spirit

Perhaps some time in the redwood forests of Northern California? A kind of happy medium between sun and cool.

Perhaps some time in the redwood forests of Northern California? A kind of happy medium between sun and cool.

We are trying! Much better here up at higher elevation... Cascades...

932104147_sfQCS-L.jpg

The Romance of... Homeless on the Road. OR.

There will be thousands of riders this week converging on Redmond, Oregon. It is the Annual BMW motorcycle riders get together on the fairgrounds, much activity, also for us many Friends we have met and more we have not met. They are coming from all over the Country, some will be here from even further. Everyone has a common denominator, the passion for being on a ÔÇ£motorcycleÔÇØ, mostly two wheels, some as us, three wheels, some with trailers, some will trailer. I have that same passion, however Spirit and I fit in a different category, one I don't even know if there will be another member. We ÔÇ£liveÔÇØ on the road, we are ÔÇ£homelessÔÇØ, it is a different ÔÇ£romanceÔÇØ. Not better, not worse, just different as 24/7 the elements dictate much of our doings. The logistics are different, sometimes easier, sometimes more difficult, there is no time element, there is really no destination, there is nothing and yet there is so much more. I sometimes think ÔÇ£what am I really doing?ÔÇØ living this way as both of us ÔÇ£gypsiesÔÇØ of the road. It is the only Lifestyle I can handle, I have known that since the day my decision was made. It turns out the ÔÇ£romanceÔÇØ of it all truly keeps us planted on this forever path with no exit sign.Be well...
Ara & Spirit

939332367_6VfGu-L.jpg

My Little Big World... OR

We found an incredible serene space around the shores of ÔÇ£Lost LakeÔÇØ, a little treasure where no other souls have adventured in while there. A little slice of Paradise perched at 4000 feet, another 100 feet from the shore. We left however, left to be in the middle and surrounded by 6000 or so others and gazillion wheels and smoke and noise and heat, suffocating heat. We attended the BMW National Rally in Redmond, Oregon. We are back in the cool. I feel as in a week's time we experienced two different Worlds as they are. I have many ÔÇ£thanksÔÇØ to send out to the so many that have been so kind to us and specially so kind to Spirit. He must have been petted a thousand times, and as myself loving to talk to and scratch other dogs, there were so many that asked to do so and give him water. We met many new faces I only knew, sometimes even forgot, the names. It was a good experience, a novelty, a different shoulder of this path we stopped on for those few days. It is now calm and quiet, it is we are both into a recuperating mode as my ears are still filled with what normally are all those foreign sounds. We will be heading to the coast very soon and north, probably to the Olympic Peninsula. Old Faithful received some long overdue maintenance, she is purring again, he struggle of her past couple weeks is over. The ÔÇ£Lost LakeÔÇØ will remain a marker on my map.
Be well... always.
Ara & Spirit

945874603_9A3Ev-L.jpg

Camping on the Oregon Coast

Ying ~Yang it is! Campsites are full, they are by reservations, a bit pricey, however the beaches are beautiful, quiet and serene. We have been here for a few days, afraid to move as we would not find another spot before moving on to Enumclaw at Dauntless, the Manufacturer of the sidecar for some repair due. The mounts after all these miles are tired and a bit worn out. Lets see what kind of magic will be performed. The roads are all more picturesque even if the single lane ones remind me and after war zone with craters and all, again, there is always a certain price to pay. Leash laws are in effect everywhere but the beaches are the playground for Spirit the Clown, the Crazy Dog as I now so often call him. He loves it and yet he stays away from the salty waters. Today is Sunday, the crowds are thinning, I never realized so many desire a taste of the outdoors even if they think they still think they are indoors. The connections are far in between, a couple entries have been posted on the Journal and many photos to go along with them.
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit

951049812_DGigD-M.jpg

At idle in Enumclaw. WA.

We arrived in the nick of time here at Dauntless, the sidecar manufacturer where ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ originated from. It has been 5 years, almost 4 of those full time she has taken a beating without much complain. There is no damage but would have been if we had waited another month, who knows, maybe another week. New bearings replacing rubber bushings, new support arm, new hydraulic lift for the car, more bearings, we should be pulling out of here on Friday morning. Probably spend a few days on the Olympic Peninsula before heading north and on then 20 East to drop south to Montana and Wyoming where we need to be around the 25th of August as I am flying from Denver on September 1st to Munich and spend a couple weeks with my Mother. Sounds busy suddenly. An unusual concept in our Journey. Strange concept also right now as camping on the second floor where we have been kindly given space in the upholstery sewing room. All is as usual except for the tent still in it's bag. The ride here was of a more than pleasant one as the weekend warrior by Monday where off the roads, roads at time foggy, at times sunny, the weather here constantly in an unstable mode.
Be well...
Ara & Spirit

959130486_YEH38-M.jpg

If only I could talk. WA

I might have a tongue too long to have the ability to talk, or to chew my food for that matter, but, I can write when my buddy is sick. That is why we are a team. ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ is better than new, I am cheerful but he is not and so this way is much better for now. I can write about my recent experiences, my riding as a passenger with more miles than most, even if some others get those silly mileage awards at some BMW Rally and I don't, considering that I am much smarter than some of them. I mean seriously, do these passengers even know what is happening around them when they can't even smell the glue and plastic their helmets are made off? Too busy hanging on to the strap of those small shiny cameras they keep pointing at their eyes or chatting in those microphone shaped like ÔÇ£thingsÔÇØ in front of their mouth as if they were on a stage not able for some moments only enjoy the scenery. Whatever... right? My buddy and I, we don't need to talk when we ride, we understand each other and I sure can smell more stuff than 100 dogs in their own Lifetimes. I have the best Life there is traveling as we do, this time around the writing is mine, the photos are still his.
Be well... as he says.

Spirit and Ara

962986629_otDjq-M.jpg

A long and windy road. MT

There was no fork in the road that brought us here in Missoula. Only circumstances. It all started by ÔÇ£running awayÔÇØ from the Coastline. Not in the Geographical sense of it, the mental one. The crowds, the vibes of the overpopulated what was once serene landscape, maybe being sick unable to move around with a complete lucidity as the previous flow of our path in this Journey. No matter, it is now behind, but having to face a new logistical aspect with the fact that simply put my Visa card was hacked a couple days ago. This modern technology, this ÔÇ£keyÔÇØ of our daily allowance to move on is now broken and needs to be replaced, the phone calls tomorrow will be of plenty. We rode the Freeway, 90, all the way. It was actually a very nice road with very little traffic. We will ride it some more till be arrive in Ennis, Montana, where we will have to wait patiently for this matter to be re-keyed. I am looking forward to being back in familiar territory, with Friends such as Teri and Ron and Gravelly Range Road. And yet great news has lightened the load being Spirit is officially named ÔÇ£The AmabassaDogÔÇØ for National Dog Day which will take place on August 26th. He will carry the Torch for the remainder of the year... Of course he is thrilled. So am I.

Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

966767939_4gytS-L.jpg

One Year later, back in Ennis. MT.

I know always where we will ÔÇ£feel goodÔÇØ, mentally, physically, spaces when all the senses decide to co-habitate in Peace, resulting with a deep harmony between Mother Nature and myself... and Spirit. The area around Ennis, Montana, is one of them. It is one space photography can truly outdo words chained as an endless link. We have arrived and we are staying. Good Friends and good food also makes the huge difference, this is before we adventure ourselves on Gravelly Range Rd, the one I called last year ÔÇ£the road to nowhereÔÇØ. Teri and Ron have been pure entertainment, I keep thinking only the camera for a reality show is missing. One has to be here in the middle of it all to understand. Not much else going on, just much relaxing, a bit of riding, dodging the heavy winds, some rain coming and going, cold and steamy hot in constant flip. It is nice to be settled a bit and catch a breath, catch up with past e mails, all that good stuff.
Till next time, be well. Always.

Ara & Spirit

970294070_VAdZe-L.jpg

Hanging out in and around Ennis. MT

I see many motorcycles in the area, none of them stop here, none of them adventure themselves on Gravelly Range Rd. For many it is a road to discover, maybe intimidated by the vast space which I call no man's land. One might see a Rancher going by bringing provisions to the few sheepherders spending their summer up the crest, a tourist or two in their urban SUV cautiously with a forced smile slowly crawling down the path, that is about all. We end up keeping camp in Ennis riding day trips as after a conversation with a Ranger and a Bear Proof canister not being in my inventory we came to the conclusion it would be a wiser choice. The sightings of Grizzlies are on the increase I was told, of course, they have started a relocation plan. The logic of it all.
I feel time closing in on me, time to drop south and interrupt the wandering for a different kind of Journey. It is going to be the strangest days being without Spirit, another challenge ahead. One day at the time.Be well...
Ara & Spirit

977267844_rAbr7-L.jpg

How to live off a hack... WY

We are back in Lander, WY, and as usual it seems as time has flown by as so soon it will be on to Denver to catch a flight to Munich, Germany, for a couple well deserved weeks with my Mother. I am so much looking forward to it, even if Spirit will stay behind. He will be in good hands, very good hands, I have no worries, only know we will miss each other tremendously. I have posted an entry on one more ride floating the Gravelly Range Rd, one of my favorite of all time, the road to ÔÇ£no man's landÔÇØ as I call it. I have also had many requests on how we pack, what do we pack and this was the opportunity to document all 16 storages spaces I have. All is highly organized, everything always in the same place and it often turns out to be a fun game trying to come up with a better system. It is such a simple Life with some spice always being added being at the mercy of Mother Nature. One reason for everything to be of the best quality, not necessarily the most expensive. I know this entry could also be adapted for campers, RV's, and then again, all might not fit into a vehicle!
Hope this brings some insight into everyone loving to spend some time outdoor and please feel free with questions if more details are needed for some of the products.
Be well...
Always.
Ara & Spirit

982382831_2CYT4-L.jpg

South Pass City, Wyoming.

The diversity of wealth throughout this country is an amazing feast. I am asked at times ÔÇ£what will you do when you are done...ÔÇØ. Done? I will not have the luxury I think to live a few lifetimes, being done exploring, adventuring, discovering and feeling those millions of square miles we live on will never be an option. We never earlier had much of a chance to explore around Lander, WY, due mainly to weather, being here too early or too late. Here now for a few days preparing to fly away to Germany, the opportunity has presented itself to scout the area. What a Treasure it is, so much so it is giving me the thought of coming back next year and spending a few months to discover all those unpaved roads going as I like to call them ÔÇ£to nowhereÔÇØ. South City however was not ÔÇ£nowhereÔÇØ. It contains a rich History of a Mining Town, today a small community of hardcore residents with neighboring ÔÇ£Atlantic CityÔÇØ. A space from the past into the present, one day, one afternoon was not enough to feel it all, and yet enough to give me a taste it. The day was perfect with clouds enhancing the background, dogs are allowed on a leash, what else could I ask for! Enjoy and hope you also experience it all soon.
Be well...
Ara & Spirit

985971699_J2brV-L.jpg

From Atlantic City to... WY

The new found treasures I call ÔÇ£empty spacesÔÇØ do not stop coming our way, specially when given tips by Friends living locally. We have been based in Lander, WY, these past days, I witness riders zooming through the area never realizing such local diversity is present if they only looked. But, lured by Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, the nice and slow and at times dangerous traffic and crazy drivers, on they go. ÔÇ£Miles of nothingÔÇØ is a little 30 seconds video I did and posted, it is my best likable reality these days, a dosage I can never get enough considering the spaces I am going in shortly, riding not ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ, but planes to Munich, Germany, for a couple weeks to see my Mother. I know most's attention span on these pages or for that matter the Journal's pages, is short. I have had dozens of inquiries as to what is wrong with Spirit! NOTHING... he is not sick, he is not missing any limbs, he is alive, NOTHING WRONG... he is just not flying with me... I appreciate the concerns, this is just one of those things I have to do. I am still working on a video from the Gravellies, a couple more, for some reason You Tube keeps cutting off the Music about 2/3rd's into it, a bit frustrating considering I not often have a fast connection. They will be up as soon as they correct the problem... In the meantime, enjoy Atlantic City, Hudson-Atlantic City Rd and a modern Ghost Town called ÔÇ£JeffreyÔÇØ...
Be well...
Ara & Spirit

999405603_WUPQv-M.jpg

Displaced in Munich?

I am often left speechless being here. Overwhelming. For one, ÔÇ£EuropeÔÇØ has changed a lot since the last time here. My ÔÇ£MotherÔÇØ has also as at 83 how can one not. It is daily anxiety attacks without my Buddy Spirit, it is... it is... My visit here is not of the role of being a ÔÇ£touristÔÇØ, some day maybe we will come back again for that purpose. This stay here is to catch up with my Mother and all that ÔÇ£stuffÔÇØ that goes along when one gets ÔÇ£oldÔÇØ. Putting things in order as she calls it. I say ÔÇ£weÔÇØ if we come back, because it will be with Spirit and ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ. I will find a way, everything is doable, that is if the price of fuel does not break us quickly and painfully. The weather has now turned into a gray cast which will remain for a few days. I had some hope for some lakes sightseeing and yet my Mother only able to go out for 3 to 5 hours a day makes it all very difficult. Besides it all, so many realizations as how nice we have it made in the USA... trust me on that one!
Thanks for the e mails, the comments, the kind words send, you are all contributing to my sanity! Almost forgot... no one will ever go hungry here!!!
Be well...
Ara & Spirit

999405603_WUPQv-M.jpg

Displaced in Munich?

I am often left speechless being here. Overwhelming. For one, ÔÇ£EuropeÔÇØ has changed a lot since the last time here. My ÔÇ£MotherÔÇØ has also as at 83 how can one not. It is daily anxiety attacks without my Buddy Spirit, it is... it is... My visit here is not of the role of being a ÔÇ£touristÔÇØ, some day maybe we will come back again for that purpose. This stay here is to catch up with my Mother and all that ÔÇ£stuffÔÇØ that goes along when one gets ÔÇ£oldÔÇØ. Putting things in order as she calls it. I say ÔÇ£weÔÇØ if we come back, because it will be with Spirit and ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ. I will find a way, everything is doable, that is if the price of fuel does not break us quickly and painfully. The weather has now turned into a gray cast which will remain for a few days. I had some hope for some lakes sightseeing and yet my Mother only able to go out for 3 to 5 hours a day makes it all very difficult. Besides it all, so many realizations as how nice we have it made in the USA... trust me on that one!
Thanks for the e mails, the comments, the kind words send, you are all contributing to my sanity! Almost forgot... no one will ever go hungry here!!!
Be well...
Ara & Spirit

Ara

Go visit Bad Kissingen-nice quite town a Kurstadt. Take some time for yourself. Nice walks, spas, food and music.

Backroad Adv

Go visit Bad Kissingen-nice quite town a Kurstadt. Take some time for yourself. Nice walks, spas, food and music.

Backroad Adv[/QUOTE]

There was no time... next visit when Old Faithful and Spirit goes also!

1010276708_4X8gC-L.jpg

Walk, eat, sleep, eat, talk, eat, repeat... Munich.

From Denver today, however the Journal is from Munich, in it the last photos of the ÔÇ£other worldÔÇØ, another one as so many exists, the one I was present into it for a couple of weeks. One that will give me many thoughts for weeks to come. I always want to say ÔÇ£weÔÇØ, but Spirit is still 375 miles away. One day before leaving I came down with what I now call ÔÇ£The German FluÔÇØ, one as never experienced before, sledge hammer on the head would be minimal compared, so much so the Dr prescribed 3000mg Amoxecillin per day. I don't think I was ever prescribed such dosage. The return flight (s) were totally the opposite of going over, unpleasant, the main flight being a 777, some massive airbus that left me speechless. My thoughts are a bit scrambled today, not surprised being ill from riding and breathing this same recirculated
air hundreds other were also breathing. This was just not a healthy way to travel. All is behind, I can only look forward to seeing my Buddy soon I hope, hopefully tomorrow.
Back to sleep now!!! Fortunate to have such good Friends throughout the country to shelter us/me when in such a need.

Be well....

Ara, to be back very soon with Spirit.

977267844_rAbr7-L.jpg

How to live off a hack... WY

We are back in Lander, WY, and as usual it seems as time has flown by as so soon it will be on to Denver to catch a flight to Munich, Germany, for a couple well deserved weeks with my Mother. I am so much looking forward to it, even if Spirit will stay behind. He will be in good hands, very good hands, I have no worries, only know we will miss each other tremendously. I have posted an entry on one more ride floating the Gravelly Range Rd, one of my favorite of all time, the road to ÔÇ£no man's landÔÇØ as I call it. I have also had many requests on how we pack, what do we pack and this was the opportunity to document all 16 storages spaces I have. All is highly organized, everything always in the same place and it often turns out to be a fun game trying to come up with a better system. It is such a simple Life with some spice always being added being at the mercy of Mother Nature. One reason for everything to be of the best quality, not necessarily the most expensive. I know this entry could also be adapted for campers, RV's, and then again, all might not fit into a vehicle!
Hope this brings some insight into everyone loving to spend some time outdoor and please feel free with questions if more details are needed for some of the products.
Be well...
Always.
Ara & Spirit

You know Spirit sort of looks pissed in this picture!

Welcome home.

Yes, that is the demanding look! The give me "now" look... OK, so I give in!!!:D

This below is the "I am important" look... What a Life I have to lead... not easy.

1016128543_nCVrz-M.jpg

We are ÔÇ£ONEÔÇØ again... Wyoming

I can only wish for everyone to have a set of such brown eyes resting on them with such mutual content. I am not going to hide the fact that this separation was difficult. They talk about Dogs having separation anxiety? Humans do too, big time in my case. We have been together 24/7, a right shoe with a left shoe at all time. It is the eternal compromise situations arising when solutions have a price to pay. The good and the bad, as sometimes it carries on. Besides it all, now a flu caught who knows where, a bit tired, Spirit looking at me wondering why this voice has changed, and headed southbound, all is well. We got the food poisoning and the flu out of the way. We even set aside a whole day of photography without a card in the camera. What more can I do? I truly think it was a plot from Spirit to have some of his past photos in the Journal instead. It worked. He deserves to have them present. We are slowly headed south, dodging the Wyoming winds that could rip my head off if I let it, trying to stay ahead of the colder weather which is making it's appearance lately. I feel as summer is going into hiding, but truly these few days ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ has been calling, I can smell that pecan wood burning already and those magnificent sunsets and sunrises, much camping this winter in the vicinities including remote areas of Big Bend National and State Park, writing a Book.
Well, enjoy Spirit's few photos from the past, they have great memories.
Be well, always. Glad to be back and ÔÇ£thank youÔÇØ for the welcome backs.

Ara & Spirit

Back