• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

The Oasis of my Soul... Life Under the Stars

579254465_gfhV4-L.jpg

Yellowstone, near Cody. WY

Grand Titan National Park was a blur a couple days ago while checking out the beautiful free camping on Grassy Lake Rd. Mosquitoes by the thousands, Spirit was instantly not a happy camper and neither was I. And on we went, not even able to take a single photo of the picture perfect setting, not able to remove my helmet. I was warned it did not come much as a surprise. Plan B? try the campgrounds, with not much luck as they were filled to the brim. Same in Yellowstone and by late afternoon not much of a choice but get near Cody were we will stay till Monday. It will be then on to Montana on a Friends Ranch where we can taste maybe then the lack of crowds. Such is always the situation within spaces as these, a destination for many specially during this Holiday coming up.
Plan C pack real lightly, nothing compared to our round trip to Valley of Fire and go on to some overnighters back here and Grand Titan. Being an over packer I am already this time making a list of what to carry. Cooking will only be coffee as I will be making sandwiches. Tent, sleeping pad and pad with no cot, change of clothe, tools and that is it Small tent. Old Faithful rides so much better without the kitchen sink!
Be well always.
Ara & Spirit

581654272_zdzrY-L.jpg

More of Yellowstone. WY

Every campsite, every corner even through the Park is filled with tents as mushrooms sprouting in the middle of nowhere. Riding has turned into traffic jams in most places helped with unconsidered drivers that will stop in the middle of the road to take a photo of some creature that can only be seen with a pair of powerful binoculars. Most are even afraid to drive as their speed drops to 25 miles per hours followed by a procession of drivers that only try to pass them creating even more havoc. That is the scene within the Park! Not a pretty one and on this Fourth of July weekend I am wondering if sitting still would not be a better solution than trying to ride the complete loop through Chief Joseph Highway and Bears Tooth Pass. Hard to stand still however as even though the temperatures have dropped the skies do not look as menacing as yesterday when we rode 200 miles through rain, hail and sleet in July! Will we get caught in heavy traffic going through Cody also? Wish I had been smarter and picked a location away from it all, some camping at the end of a trail to nowhere.
Right now my boots are still soaked from yesterday, they have proven not to be waterproof as the gloves as was wearing. Will have to wait till they dry anyhow. Spirit is resting, he was quite a trooper yesterday going with the punches as usual. He is the smart one no doubt.
Enjoy the photos it is a beautiful space.
Be well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

584274979_gjRgc-L.jpg

A great loop, Mt/Wy

Defying all Mother NatureÔÇÖs obstacles, Chief Joseph Highway and Bear Tooth Pass is present more inviting than ever for the rides and drives of many. The roads are open with still much snow, cold temperatures, unfortunately the day of our ride some much darker skies following us. We made it to Red Lodge untouched and actually also back to Cody with just a few drops on the camera lens while taking photos of what was ahead of us, some real dark skies which decided to open up for our passage. Kind of love it when that happens, almost an eerie feeling, a mystery of Mother Nature parting the horizons on demand.
Right now we are in Montana and finally realize why they call it here the big skies as they are big and finally this magic that I wear through this Journey is back. This is the space I have been seeking as we are camped out on some Friends property near Columbus, that is Columbus, Montana.
The land is huge, the silence is deep, we have not experienced the roads yet as there are many for the taking, this is as my Friend calls it ÔÇ£The Northern OasisÔÇØ.
Enjoy and be well we feel good here! Very good
Ara & Spirit

Re: Beartooth

Really glad the weather lightened up for you in Beartooth. When I went through ten days ago it was fog, sleet and snow accumulations on the top few kilometers. Keep trucking - enjoying your report very much.

Really glad the weather lightened up for you in Beartooth. When I went through ten days ago it was fog, sleet and snow accumulations on the top few kilometers. Keep trucking - enjoying your report very much.

Thanks! It really comes and goes here! Fresh snow last night and freezing temps!!! No complains... I decided I like cold better than heat!!!

586648312_vymPA-L.jpg

The Big Skies of Montana

Even Spirit is doing so well here, his body language is of happiness as mine here is of Peace and Serenity. I wonder who said we will ever run out of land! The roads are to seemingly nowhere, the skies are huge and one can hear themselves think. We will be here for a bit, will have to move here and there, but this is mainly where we will stay till we make our way south again before winter. The eternal cycle, over and over
The mosquitoes here are almost non existent, the bears I have not seen one yet, the birds are of many and the deer grazes around with no fear.
We did have to go into Bozeman yesterday, another visit to another Dentist as I lost one more tooth. At this rate I just might have to buy a pack of straws and change my diet forever.
It could have been worse, amazing how much pain can cost!
We are going to adventure ourselves into areas off the Parks, the hidden gems where maybe so few go and visit. The crowds did not suit us at all, why even go there if the feeling toward Mother Nature is robbed by the careless drivers, loud exhausts and the too many rules, specially toward Dogs, that National parks have.
Point Reed just a few miles from here is a gem of a town enjoy the photos.
Be well Ara & Spirit

Nice!

Excellent post as usual Ara. Since you have been on the road so long I would love to hear about what kind of equipment you carry with you. What gear you have found does and doesn't work. How the GS sidecar is working out for you, etc, etc.
I hope to someday meet up with you on the road.

I am enjoying your travels. I was camping in Yellowstone 7-1/7-2. yes, the mosquitoes are bad. Reminded me of eastern Arkansas rice farming country.

I had read the stories of bumper to bumper traffic through Yellowstone. I did not experience this. Not much traffic at all. Economy??? Grant campground was full.

Godspeed.

Ralph Sims

The Oasis of my Soul.. it's words in pixels

I should... BUT, please find me some waterproof gloves before I go to ACE Hardware and buy one of those chemical proof gloves!!! Right off the bat... Aerostich jacket does not work... yes, all has been really rough tested... Will work on it! Ortlieb and Exped.com waterproof bags are the best... Pelican/Storm cases also... there will be more!
What happened in Yellowstone was hail while waiting they clear up an accident from a chopper rider that when on the wayside... was he wearing a helmet? You guessed it... Otherwise, yes, was not too bad... even though for us two cars is traffic!!!

589467654_paioK-L.jpg

Urban camping in Bozeman. Mt.

Sometimes the best laid out plans fall apart, human error mainly including mine. It turned out to be an Urban camping situation if one calls spending the night in a house on a golf course, with gazillion bedrooms and bathrooms and huge kitchen camping. I think it was more of Spirits liking, those soft carpets and rugs as he could not decide which one was the most comfortable one. Flushing a toilet long hot shower could I get used to all those comforts again? Not really as nice as Bozeman is, it is still within me to call it an Urban Jungle and end up more exhausted than hundreds of miles riding. It is all about the Soul of a space we are parked within, the search for silence, solitude and the true display of Mother Nature, not the man made green lawns of a gold course.
But it takes some tasting of the other side of the coin to appreciate what one has as it was the case these past couple of days.
The weather is continuing to not cooperate, got soaked again trying to ride Beartooth Pass one more time! Eventually it has to get better right?
Be well
Ara & Spirit

I recently got a pair of the BMW Pro Summer Glove. They are pretty spendy but they are comfortable right off the back, leather with a gore-tex liner, AND waterproof!

Will for sure look into it... Thanks!

593990135_iuqNG-L.jpg

More Beartooth and Gardiner, MT

So busy sometimes times escapes me, trying to find a balance throughout this Journey to write my words down. Finally the weather is really cooperating, even a bit on the warm side these days, but in Montana I yet have to feel a warm night. All is just so perfect, staying dry pleases me and Spirit to no end.
We took a ride to Beartooth one more time, another double bacon cheeseburger also at the Red Box, will just need to avoid that area in the future! Another ride to Gardiner which is also the original Northern entrance of Yellowstone Park, not much around, besides a touristy ambience I can do without.
We are now near Manhattan, settled for about a month, hoping to discover a lot of Montana as I am also finding out that most unpaved roads are very doable. Any tips are much appreciated as always. Three Forks, Virginia City, Old Yellowstone Road and a few others near by is right now the extend of my knowledge. I see a lot of Lakes on the map, we will just pick a road and go trying to also find always some unseen corners to spend the night within.
We pack light now maybe too light, it is such a pleasure to put up and take down quickly unlike before.
I have posted a couple Blogs since last time here, enjoy the photos of our Life on the road.
Be well always.
Ara & Spirit

597607373_Yq73o-L.jpg

Three Forks, MT

Is it called Americana? It is, I just checked the definition. Materials related to American History, Geography. Great weather still holding up, had cooled a bit to make it a pleasant ride, rides
The Missouri River starts a few miles from here where once the old city now defunct Gallatin use to stand, a campground where Lewis and Clark once camped, so much has happened within these spaces, water calling for past Pioneers to settle a while. The city of Gallatin did not make it and a few miles away seemingly has moved to another one, replaced, called now Three Forks. Three Forks was in a jovial mood for their Rodeo weekend, the locals were spilled out on the sidewalks all day, there was a free lunch, much chatting as always, it kind of felt a bit like a Christmas in the summer. It would be fun if it was the case every day of the year sure would keep everyone much happier I think.
The Rodeo was in full force with much shooting and riding, SpiritÔÇÖs moos was up, what more can one ask for on such a beautiful day
More on the Blog

Be well Ara & Spirit

601226324_CyTNE-L.jpg

Fairy Lake, MT

It is not a secret location but rare is the traffic on the seven mile road, a bit bumpy at times, leading to Fairy Lake. High clearance definitely needed. It is magical, it will leave many speechless as ÔÇ£nowÔÇØ is itÔÇÖs time with square miles after square miles of carpets of wild flowers laid ahead with all colors imaginable. The Lake itself is the prize at the end. Steps leading to it or a longer hike followed by another trail which goes all around it, unfortunately that day busy with ÔÇ£horseÔÇØ or maybe they were ÔÇ£deerÔÇØ flies. All the same to me and Spirit who was trying all afternoon to just sit in the water trying to avoid them. Outdoors can be so harsh sometimes, there is seemingly always one element that makes it ÔÇ£difficultÔÇØ or unpleasant, but the choice is not there for us, we take it all in as it comes.
There is another Blog I have written also previously ahead of this one, it is written for my Friend Tyler who was in a very bad motorcycle accident, one of the most incredible person you will ever meet. I have been asking to join the Blog of her condition and wish her your well thoughts as her road to recovery is going to be a long one. It will mean a lot to her, Family, Friends and to myself http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/tylerrisk
In case you are wondering, it is free and only takes a few minutes to join You can find that Blog by hitting previous or archives within my own.
Be well.
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul..

605214070_GMaSQ-L.jpg

A Southern loop. MT

Sometimes we can play hide and seek with the thunderstorms till we finally get cornered and just have to sit still for the hail to melt and the skies to open up. That was the case the other day as finally West Yellowstone had a bench to offer us for a couple hours. Part of being on the road.
But all day I was thinking hard about, I guess I would call it, ÔÇ£todayÔÇÖs trendÔÇØ of reality shows, one explained in an e mail to me. Frightening it was, sad, staged as I know, seemingly trying to fulfill such desolation maybe so many got through when their own reality is obviously dwindling with the need of experiencing others of a screen instead.
I looked upon our own reality show, a daily occurrence. They are episodes after episodes without needing a channel to be changed and rarely a rerun to put up with. It does not have to be as ours going on for closing in on three years, it could be just a day or a few if one is willing to sense itÔÇÖs surroundings and feel it all.
This Blog is just one day, so rich with encounters toward people met and their own true Life reality show now being part of ours.
Be well
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

606961883_K74JY-L.jpg

Ron Dakota, MT

6 wheels, 20 legs and a Man that has been on the road for now 26 years. As I stand on the sidelines watching them go by, the contrast from the 80mph moving vehicles and Rons three miles per hour forward motion makes me smile, inducing much thinking. I mean truly the first thought is crazy does not belong here or could it be the other way? Of course there is this certain attraction, more than toward us which was nice for a change I can imagine how many have stopped to inquire. He now hands out a card with his My Space page printed on and tells them all the answers are there. Cant blame him, at three miles per hour much chatting will slow him down to what is already a crawl. But the Man has not crawled trough Life as his good sense and Spirituality has heightened to a level so few of us will ever reach. Much time to think, none read, just Life as being the perfect example if one slows down a bit and starts putting the pieces of this puzzle we live within together
We will see him again, he is never too far as his Journey will take him East first and then on South for the winter.
Amazing what one can experience on the road
Be well
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

609301067_YuoHU-M.jpg

Old cars and a Wagon! MT

I was thinking, Spirit has it made not having to work out as Ron DakotaÔÇÖs horses for a daily 20 miles move pulling 6000lbs. A good thing I have yet to hear a complain from him! It was seeing Ron again today, camped on the side of the road wondering if sometime I could also use those wide shoulders if needed to catch a quick night sleep. Sheriffs passing by are only waving, so it should be agreeable with the Law. It was his Birthday yesterday and we shared some sweet bread for lack of Cake and Ice Cream. 69 years old, 27 years living on the road traveling with the weather as we do.
It was then on to an Antique Car Junkyard a few miles up the road. A candy store for the camera and the mind seeing this array of what was once someoneÔÇÖs pride and joy.
South West Montana seems to be my favorite space out of it all, of course we have not yet visited the Glacier area which is an another 300 miles north.
Enjoy the Blog many photos this time, hard to sort out the favorites.
Be well
Ara & Spirit

612171663_E82Xh-L.jpg

Wade and Cliff Lake, MT

The Adventures never stops. I donÔÇÖt want it to stop. The Lakes, the unpaved roads, there is no better sceneries and feel, the photos will prove it. For the first time after witnessing such beauty I felt as Montana and I, including Spirit, have finally bonded. The southwest corner has so much to offer that in a couple of days we are moving to Ennis to be closer to those spaces that await us. At the same time we witnessed a re-enactment Fair near West Yellowstone where we also found a free out of the way and quiet space for us. Unfortunately ÔÇ£National Recreation AreaÔÇØ are becoming more and more expensive and filled with screams as I often wonder why are they camping here? I would definitely need a vacation from their vacation.
These are the best times around here even if has been raining a bit more than desired. Lately we have always managed to find shelter. This time it was underneath the tongue of a jacked up semi just laying in the field. A nice roof over our head it was, a spot to definitely remember.
Enjoy the Lakes, the few photos of the Fair much more we hope to discover before long.

PS: not seen a single dual sport motorcyle for days??? Undiscovered yet?...

Be well Ara & Spirit

I have seen Ron Dakota out on our highways! Now there is a slow, but sure traveler. Amazing. But so is your journey in a different way.

I have seen Ron Dakota out on our highways! Now there is a slow, but sure traveler. Amazing. But so is your journey in a different way.

He gets around! 27 years!!!

613995399_yivTx-L.jpg

Being part of Society MT

So bad weather makes me think! Hail as large as golf balls, thunderstorms, winds, you name it. A few days in the wilderness and back into the mundane circle of errands and this and that also does it often. That is the title after all of my Blog, our Blog I should say, The Oasis of my Soul. The wheels might stop rolling for a couple days, but the mind never does and the keyboard always helps It helps me. It is all part of the Journey as I often read others and yet still never know who they are. It was never my intend of so many to read these thoughts, but it happens, and the bright side of it all are the many new Friends we have along our routes even if never the same. Many Friends we have yet to meet hoping we will some day. Maybe a big reunion in Texas!
We have moved on Base Camp to Ennis for now, this southwestern part of Montana just needed to be closer to us. For the first time I have a photo assignment, for a Real Estate Company that wants to show the area to potential clients. As she said I would be taking the photos anyhow! A couple portraits also, I am just not that good in the business world. Yes, I would have taken those photos anyhow, but I could charge for their usage, right? Anyhow
It is just like I wrote in the Blog
Be well
Ara & Spirit

616521482_VNL8H-L.jpg

Virginia and Nevada City, MT

Well, if you are into ÔÇ£liveÔÇØ Ghost Towns, totally refurbished as new as ÔÇ£old and authenticÔÇ£, these two little Towns take the Big Prize home. Structure after structure, dwellings after dwellings, even a running train, Museums, you name it, mixed with the authentic smell of Pizza and the sights of modern Art, we had quite a day. It was much more and ÔÇ£moreÔÇØ than what I could ever take in again. Of course, no offense, it is just a matter of taste and many other pasts visits to similar spaces made this day into a true ÔÇ£d?®j?á vuÔÇ£. As a local from a near by town said ÔÇ£I come and visit once a year, spend my money and I am doneÔÇØ. Maybe we should have chosen a weekday to visit as the mob scene was intense and Spirit as usual was on the center ring, quite often myself watching from a distance, a safe distance that is.
Ennis, in counterpart, is a great place to be, a great central location for the many trails awaiting for us, such as Gravelly Range Rd, Southside Centennial Rd and so many others I am looking forward for us to get lost within.
Enjoy the Ghost Towns we really did!
Be well
Ara & Spirit

619491773_3v2Ui-L-1.jpg

The Trails of Friendship, MT

The trails here are endless as again, as in all areas we have dug short term roots, we will leave here soon with so many non ridden, which only means, we will have to come back. This year I have been told has been lucky as with much rain all is green and the flowers as most places visited are endless carpets of colors. I am always surprised, and totally content I must say, with the lack of traffic or even not a single motorcycle! I guess most riders must like crowded trails as these are totally off the beaten track and yet, easily accessible from a main road.
I call it my ÔÇ£FriendshipÔÇØ with ÔÇ£Mother NatureÔÇØ and I took the opportunity in this BlogÔÇÖs Chapter to also, well, mainly write about a Friendship developing which means, having company at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ when we reach Texas. We will be sharing our Space, lending a hand as many have to us, the stage will be the same, it is almost as I want to call the upcoming future moments of Life ÔÇ£the sequelÔÇØ!
All is well here, it is a rugged State, everyone I feel is working hard on their land to get ready for the upcoming winter with no time to waste. It is amazing how each State can be so different from one another
Enjoy and be well.

Ara & Spirit

Back