• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

Thanks for capturing another slice of our "heaven" that is Big Bend Country, Ara.

Some of the photos I took - I believe - showed up some of the gathered "spirits". Different in each of several shots.

A sample.

Voni
sMiling

wow voni, do a google search for "orbs in photographs" or something of that nature, i think you'll be surprised with the results

this report is great, keep it up!!!

A bit of my Dogs Life riding and living on the road

130939235-L.jpg

A bit of my Dogs Life riding and living on the road

We did live on 16 beautiful acres at one time in Northern Georgia when my buddy rescued me from the shelter with just a couple more days to live. I heard many people telling him not to take me because I am a Pit, so I proved him wrong for over a year now!
Life is good, the smells are good, the food is to and so is his affection and Love for me. I have my own sidecar, I get to ride and watch my other buddies walk the streets instead. Of course I have to give in often for all those pictures he takes of me, same goes for all those strangers that have never seen me riding with my goggles on but oh! Well small price to pay check it out

Thanks for the scratches you always send me

Spirit

Pinto Canyon loop, Texas

219289771-L.jpg

Pinto Canyon loop, Texas

Take a truck, a jeep or a dual sport bike, but do not miss this road. It is not only the 22 miles of dirt and rocks, it is also the paved road that leads to it and River Road which will take you back to Terlingua Can I add it is the baked goods of the Bakery from Alpine eaten on the side of the road while baking under the afternoon Texas sun?
It was a great day of riding for us, new roads are always welcomed. So much to see that the road is still new as we will go back to ride it again most likely. The side roads are inviting, the Hot Springs are too!
Part I is here the rest next time.

Be well

Ara & Spirit

More on Pinto Canyon, Texas

219856172-L.jpg

More of the Pinto Canyon, Texas

More pictures of the rest of the ride from Pinto Canyon. We are planning to do it again soon, maybe even spend the night at the Chinati Hot Springs if there is such accommodations. I have not checked into it yet and the weather is suddenly changing, I was told that it is erratic here…
Well, this is the first picture of Mr Spirit as a Biker Dog with his helmet… he is putting up with it… but he does not like it! Don’t ask… Maybe he will just wear it in bad weather and on long distance rides… and you don’t want to know what happens when we stop! I now know what celebrities like him go through with the paparazzis… He is on his own… if he could only talk seriously sometimes!

Be well…

Ara & Spirit

Last edited:
A quick tour of Lajitas, Texas

Great gadget... even if they are refusing to do a group buy... I think it is going to be our solution... Thanks!

220760027-L.jpg

A quick tour of Lajitas, Texas

I have always been intrigued as to the feel Lajitas would give when there I do have a favorite spot, a short river crossing to Mexico a bit past the town, in the old days before border crossings changed that was some busy sights. But the town itself was eerie, sad, not only because of it being deserted but because its authenticity has been stripped, replaced by some look alike buildings trying to fool the tourists that modernism can still look old! It still made for some interesting pictures! There was no one to get in the way of the camera including specially a quick stop at the International Airport
Spirits helmet fits better we had to remedy to his unhappiness of the previous day and we are planning some long long rides!
All on the Blog.

Till next time, you all be well and enjoy the Sunrise!

Ara & Spirit

"The local Sherif was so impressed by Voni's riding the other day... that he just did not have the heart to issue her a speeding ticket... but also... could not compliment on her riding" <true story/November 2007 Big Bend>:nono :deal

Old Marathon Rd loop, Texas

221374712-L.jpg

Old Marathon Rd loop, Tx

We are indoor this morning, the winds blowing like mad all night had me even reset the Dish! This is the clearest skies we have ever seen so far, would make for great pictures if only the sun would come out and take this grey cast away. I think it is happening as I write this!
It was a great ride yesterday, again isolated inland roads with this time some degree of difficulty for us a street tire in deep sand is never the best scenario!
Thinking today was Friday, I realized it was not and we have now one more day to get ready for a weekend in Alpine for the Open Gallery Night, where we will try to find a little obscure corner to spend the night! It was a customary fashion in the 60s! Including much hitchhiking
And yes, Spirit will have his blanket!!!
Be well enjoy

Ara & Spirit

"The local Sherif was so impressed by Voni's riding the other day... that he just did not have the heart to issue her a speeding ticket... but also... could not compliment on her riding" <true story/November 2007 Big Bend>:nono :deal

Cannot wait to hear that story! We will be in Alpine Friday. I have the same feelings about Lajitas...The big money THAT developer guy spent at the resort and influenced the area and the "International" airport just makes me sad and laugh at same time
Hope the wind lays a bit today...Austin was blowing this AM

Cannot wait to hear that story! We will be in Alpine Friday. I have the same feelings about Lajitas...The big money THAT developer guy spent at the resort and influenced the area and the "International" airport just makes me sad and laugh at same time
Hope the wind lays a bit today...Austin was blowing this AM

LOL!

Ara told me he could not "complain" about my riding ; )

Minor difference.

Voni
sMiling

Last edited:
Artwalk in Alpine, Texas

222319440-L.jpg

Artwalk in Alpine, Texas

Another great event in this area the Alpine Artwalk! Nighttime open Galleries, rubbing elbows with the Artists eating and eating again and much chatting!
We left early in the day, the weather turning cold last night made us came back the 80 miles, missing only one deer in the dark. I keep thinking some day! Some day it is going to happen so far we have always drawn the lucky number.
Such a great time that we (I did anyhow!) thought about maybe going back tonight.
Enjoy the show and a Holiday Recipe

Be well

Ara & Spirit

A couple events in Terlingua, Texas

222875318-L.jpg

A couple events in Terlingua, Texas

More going on here every week that passes by. The local talent was in full force at a benefit for the recycling program, including an incredible Fire Dance at the beat of the Drums a nostalgic tour at the Menagerie Press where Lauren uses two almost 100 year old letterpress presses to print cards and pages no click of the button here no switches, but true hard work one letter at the time.
We are on our way to the Chinati Hot Springs which we missed the last time we rode Pinto Canyon. The weather is still warm ahead of a forecasted cold spell, and we better get on and take advantage of it
That is about it for now!
Almost forgot lots of pictures in the My First 100 Years last article

Be well.

Ara & Spirit

The Chinati Hot Springs, Texas

224425122-M.jpg

(Picture credit: Voni Glaves)

Oh! That look!!!

The Chinati Hot Springs, Texas

Yes, still in Texas the big and friendly State with so many places to go and events to attend! When things get busy somehow my mind always go back to our stay in the Joshua Trees, the Belle campground, all the way in the back by the big rock where we sat there for hours days really! I guess it has left quite an impression on me. Chinati Hot Springs will became the same, in the middle of literally nowhere, isolated from it seems the rest of the World, as they say, it is a place to get restored!
Even if the journey there was kind of a fiasco regarding food and sleeping accommodations my own smart lack of planning!
Dont miss it if you are in this area more here on the Blog.

Be well

Ara & Spirit

Holidays in Big Bend, Texas

225216317-L.jpg

Holiday in Big Bend, Texas

We actually spend most of the day in Alpine, working at cooking! It was a fun day putting to use what I know best. Had not help from Spirit, nice think carpet in front of the fireplace, that was his pad for most of the day! This dog is not a fool
Change in weather so suddenly made us ride in a bitter cold wind that somehow even came through the helmet and my ear plugs. Price to pay I guess It even snowed last night up on Chisos Mountain where we tried to take a ride up this morning, but even with my heated gear including the gloves, we had to turn around just a bitter cold. It will warm up soon.
Recipes and pictures are here on the Blog.

Till later you all be well

Ara & Spirit

Marathon, Texas

227002400-L.jpg

Marathon, Texas

Repeat to myself never write about our next destination repeat to myself
So we are still here we did leave came right back! Not strange if you consider that the Powwow is happening this weekend, the Bug Show and the Run for Stupidity! Only in Terlingua you would not want to miss seeing all those events on this Blog would you? So only to please you (!!!) we unpacked again and forced ourselves to stay just for you! I insist
We did take a ride to Marathon yesterday, a nice ride and a cool little town as you will see on the Blog
Our Spirited Doggie Treats (Spirits new hobby!) would have been a better choice for lunch than what I had. But maybe I will have better common sense next time
You be well.
Ara & Spirit

Ara, I just got caught up with the last twenty or so posts. Still amazing!

I am so sorry that our paths didn't cross while you were up in WA, maybe someday somewhere else...

Keep keeping it on...

Ride On, Ara and Spirit, Ride On... :thumb

A Powwow in Terlingua, Texas

Somewhere, somehow... I am sure... we will also be back!

228049915-L.jpg

A Powwow in Terlingua, Texas

I think the ones that did not show up for this event missed out on a lot. It was a beautiful day, we are back to short sleeve T shirts by the way here in south Texas, and the event kept our senses awake all day. Just a few miles from camp, this will never be considered as a ride report! It really is better, a true ride for the mind surrounded by proud people within their rich history.
A new experience making me happy that we turned around to come right back a few days ago.
Enjoy the pictures on the Blog

Be well

Ara & Spirit

A little more riding, Texas

230397196-L.jpg

A little more riding, Texas

Sometimes I just dont know how to title the day! Do they all need a title? sometimes it is helpful and sometimes not. Today is the continuation of yesterday, such common sense right? There is always so much that happens, so much we see and experience, which makes me wonder if we could ever live any other way from this point on! Maybe if we had to. More time spend in Ft Davis, a visit to the Mc Donald Observatory with an invitation to return tomorrow morning and check out the behind the scenes of this unique telescope. The fog is rolling in right now, rain or shine we will be there!
More on the Blog

Be well Ara & Spirit

Spirit goes to School! Texas

231348726-L.jpg

Spirit goes to School! Texas

He did! Valentines School, between Marfa and Van Horn We had a great time, touched by all the kids (there is only 2 seniors) that wanted and did play with him and fed him treats. I think they will remember him as I will remember them. This was today in some great weather in contrast with yesterdays storms and rain and fog while we did go for a private tour at the Mc Donald Observatory which we will write about next time.
Just so proud of him thinking just a few years ago he was in a shelter laying with his head down not even barking when all the other dogs were! He has come such a long way today was proof of it!
More on the Blog

Be well always. Ara & Spirit

A private tour of the HET, Texas

231639040-L.jpg

A private tour of the HET, Texas

HET stands for Hobby-Eberly Telescope, near Ft Davis, in total fog the day we went back for the private tour. Quite an experience I must say. A beautifully designed telescope, Artwork in my eyes, the worlds 3rd largest instrument for astronomers to study what is millions of light years away It has brought up some thoughts about how minuscule we ourselves are in this vast Universe as we are passing through comparatively for such a short time.
Spirit patiently waited outside, cover and coat on without a complain. As usual, cool and collected just waiting, such a perfect companion and buddy.
Hope you enjoy the few pictures of this memorable day, all on the Blog

Be well

Ara & Spirit

Back