• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

...the colder weather which is making its appearance lately...

Yes, fall is definitely here.

I'm sure that many of us here are happy for you to be re-united with Spririt, and your friends, in one of your favourite areas.

An Oasis sunset waiting for you:

P1060812.jpg

Voni
sMiling

An Oasis sunset waiting for you:

Voni
sMiling

Wow... speechless!!! Serpia is it?... That needs to be printed! You know where...

1020915931_BMFeH-M.jpg

Behind Closed Doors... Las Vegas ~ New Mexico [Jasmine Rice with Feta and Vegetables]

I always wanted to visit ÔÇ£the otherÔÇØ Las Vegas as we did a day or two ago. I loose track already. Maybe we should have stayed for the Celebration, their 175th Year, but I don't do well with crowds in general. We arrived in a downpour as I have rarely seen and experienced. A KOA was kind enough to take us in and overlook the fact that Spirit is a Pit. He is now a Poodle... it is official. No problem with their Insurance. Tonight we are in Carlsbad where the temperature reached 90 and the humidity 1000%. I think this was the first time we have been hot, will see how all is as we arrive at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ early next week. There seem to be time and yet I am scrambling a bit to order the ten prints which will be on display at the Pan Terra Gallery in Bisbee on October 23rd. If all goes well it will be a permanent exposition. I could then look into maybe other Galleries having had a precedent also such as in Alpine with ÔÇ£Kiowa GalleryÔÇØ where the prints sold well even if unfortunately the owner's ethics were not up to par. So tomorrow are the Caverns as I think I photographed a couple years ago. I am really looking forward to it, I am even going to use a tripod for a change even if I feel they are a royal pain to use...
Enjoy ÔÇ£Las VegasÔÇØ and some thoughts I have had these past days... again.
Be well...
Ara & Spirit

Ara and Spirit's account has expired here...
I know how hard it is to keep up while on the road and one needs to be a current member of BMW MOA to post here. He said he has just renewed the account and will be able to post next week. In the meantime he did post an entry in his Journal "The Oasis of my Soul" with photos of the Carlsbad Caverns...

Speed Safe,
KCDakar

Having no clue my "membership" had expired... the Forum has been locked to me. I truly have mixed feelings about the "membership" being a MUST to post on this Forum... I don't know what to think! Maybe I was having "withdrawal" symptoms!!! :dunno:scratch
Anyhow...

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit
www.theoasisofmysoul.com

1037152795_Ngtff-L-1.jpg

A bit wealthier today... TX

Again we missed an early morning ride. Our days are a bit upside down. Staying up too late while writing, waking up also past nine just is not doing it. By the time breakfast is over, a walk with Spirit, feeding him, should skip my e mails but I don't, it becomes noon. Fortunately the weather is I have to call it ÔÇ£perfectionÔÇØ and being out riding in the afternoon now has become enjoyable these past few days. Everything on my mental and physical checklist is doing well, no crisis, I would almost go as far as saying ÔÇ£nothing excitingÔÇØ, but the fact alone to be alive and be here is ÔÇ£excitingÔÇØ. And yet today I am going to do something I have not done in four years. I am sending in an old dear watch to be repaired as for these couple to three coming months I feel the need to wear one if I want to have this book written ÔÇ£nowÔÇØ and not much later. That is just how Life in the ÔÇ£DesertÔÇØ is, should be as it lingers ignoring time and calendars. I am already feeling this pull to move into the Park for a few days at the time, might be able to squeeze in those couple days as we are leaving in exactly 10 days for Bisbee, the oncoming Photo Show which it's Poster has already been published, also in our Journal. One of the better news however is this Book I started reading which I feel every traveler, everyone for that matter, should read. I wrote about it also in the Journal and there will be more... It is a wealth I have found.

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1043610430_iqotN-L.jpg

A sad bridge, ÔÇ£La LindaÔÇØ. Texas

ÔÇ£La LindaÔÇØ bridge is everything I do not care to feel and see. It is a symbol, a man made one that jumps up and stands up for everything I do not believe in. Metal gates up high and locked, cement barriers and a ghost town. Empty dwellings, actually an eerie space as we sat there for a while reliving in my mind what was once before. The ride however, first to Terlingua, then on through the Park, a quick stop in Stillwell, was of a great one even if a bit still on the warm side. A wet bandanna, actually I use a ÔÇ£BuffÔÇØ, does the trick. I think everyone should have a ÔÇ£BuffÔÇØ. Multipurpose to cover one's face when cold, a cap when needed, this circular bandana has been a Life saver too often. Not much else is new, sitting a lot, writing this Book away with about 12,000 words into it and the fear that it will be too long! Editing will come later, hopefully will be able to cut some chapters off or have more than one Book! Why not. All is calm as ever here on ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ and besides some rides I have a real hard time leaving this space. Spirit I think shares my thoughts throughout our daily walks on our trail or on one of the main roads around. I yet have to see a car since we have been here except for our neighbors visiting. Nice! Hope it stays that way.
Enjoy the ride...

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1053094305_ESnNr-L.jpg

Terlingua and ÔÇ£mindÔÇØ Bash... TX

Time is moving on and so are the words on the pages of this future book of mine, maybe ÔÇ£booksÔÇØ. What a big time consuming affair and yet a project I am enjoying more and more reliving myself past moments one entry at the time as I am writing it backwards, however will be printed in a normal chronological order.
In the meantime a couple entries have gone on our Journal. Lance's Birthday has come and passed and their own moments weighing me down with such a force it at times makes me loose my breath. ÔÇ£Terlingua BashÔÇØ happened last weekend. Music Jams all over town as we witnessed (Spirit likes Music also... and the attention!) such incredible talents back to back with no rest, free for the listener within a Family type environment, as the expression says ÔÇ£egos are left at the door...ÔÇØ. A gathering of ÔÇ£PiratesÔÇØ at ÔÇ£Passing WindsÔÇØ and the grand finale, the Sunset overlooking the Chisos, an exceptional one, one I would have not missed for anything. Mother Nature was generous that evening, when will Photographers understand that the only Photoshop needed is patience, admiration and more patience? A couple entries later, here we are on a Monday, preparing to leave for Bisbee, Arizona, on Wednesday for the opening of our Show at Panterra Gallery Saturday evening. Maybe we can see some of you's there...

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1045457155_xf2CL-L.jpg

1065351566_Qsbsc-L.jpg

Busy in Bisbee, AZ

We are already on our way back to Big Bend and only now have had a bit of time to breathe and regain composure. The ÔÇ£real worldÔÇØ is have to say ÔÇ£busyÔÇØ. There must be a better word for it but I cannot think of it. The ride over and this present ride back are just perfection, weather, tail wind both ways, all except for my rear shock which has lost all it's oil and for myself an eye infection too slowly getting better. A spare shock is awaiting for me to use while I send this one back to be repaired, the support on Motorcycle Forums is just so incredible. Invited for dinners, prepared one myself, the Show with a great turn out, all happening so fast, all however a great experience. They now have, the photos, a nice Home were they will permanently hang, maybe some will find another good Home, there were no buyers on this first night out, it does not surprise me, I don't think ÔÇ£ArtÔÇØ is selling very well these days. Maybe eventually it will turn around, Bisbee is a busy town, the attendance were mostly Locals always inundaded with such occasion. Many Friends however also showed up, it was the icing on the cake, from as far as Denver, Breckenridge, Colorado City, Tucson, Benson and more. Great times. The start of it all is on the Journal including a fantastic Flam Chen!

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1069468782_uokFR-L.jpg

Is it ÔÇ£FantasyÔÇØ or ÔÇ£RealityÔÇØ. TX.

Bisbee and back. What a physical and mental ride it has been. This Desert here is so calm compared to anywhere else, including this little town we spend a few days in and around. ÔÇ£RidingÔÇØ is such an incredible pathway to thoughts of the mind as the miles roll on and yet is it all ÔÇ£realityÔÇØ or ÔÇ£fantasyÔÇØ? Maybe a bit of both. Bluntly speaking, meeting a beautiful inside out Soul elaborating on a chemistry unlike felt from long ago, at another moment witnessing a tragic accident, it all creates a certain sense of not wanting to put away for later what today can be accomplished and taken steps forward to. The path receives this label called ÔÇ£unknownÔÇØ and yet, we fool ourselves too often thinking the future is within our control, thinking ÔÇ£we knowÔÇØ. We don't. Either way we do not. What is then the difference from stepping into the ladder ahead when there is no control of it's own height ahead. ÔÇ£Follow your HeartÔÇØ my Friends have told me, but of course. Emotions are in themselves so beautiful, such a privilege to be Human and feel the depth of it all. There is a story here, coincidentally happens to be my 600th entry. Also a few more Photos from Bisbee, the Show... the ÔÇ£Mystery LadyÔÇØ...

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1077307811_zST37-L.jpg

The ÔÇ£Black and WhiteÔÇØ Boogie Man. Texas

These past chapters are as ending up being much thoughts while riding. The roads are not as demanding on the attention span and the mind allows itself to go on thinking... always with permission! The ride, the space we end up into was the ÔÇ£swimming holeÔÇØ, always magical when experiencing the forms and shapes carved over these past few gazillion years, it is utmost silence as the road itself leading to it seems to belong to another planet. I say ÔÇ£black and whiteÔÇØ within the title of this entry for the reason to have finally these past years opened up to gray areas when encountering others, when being on this stage which passes by now at an alarming speed. There is such an increasing comfort zone when thinking as such. The ÔÇ£Day of the DeadÔÇØ has now come and gone, today we are packing to go on to Tucson for the ÔÇ£All Souls processionÔÇØ which will be followed by a ÔÇ£Flam ChenÔÇØ. Suddenly it is an experience I do not want to miss, be at least a witness of it all once. It will all happen for us on Sunday evening and we should be back here a couple days after, I need to jump back into the disciplined stage of writing this Book and also a Cookbook I decided on. Accordingly, the photos of this entry are also in ÔÇ£black and whiteÔÇØ.
Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1085517416_nnhLp-L.jpg

I wonder who left the door open? Tucson. AZ

As always, since cooperating weather, a great ride back again to Tucson. This weekend has come and gone by too quickly, we will already be back at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ tonight to start filling up the pages of the Books in progress. The City Life for a few days... I so much realize all is a constant compromise being on this path of our Journey. Spending a few hours on a Sunday morning walking tthrough an incredible Farmer's Market was as a kid in a toy store... so much we have been missing. Yet, I did not find what Mother Nature's landscapes and mood offers us day in and day out. We cannot have it all... can we? Another event we attended was the ÔÇ£All Souls ProcessionÔÇØ followed by a ÔÇ£Flam ChenÔÇØ throughout a well behaved crowd they say of over 20,000. It sure did not feel as so many were surrounding us. All with some home cooked meals in the company of my Friend Robin, a couple years after very briefly meeting in Ely, here we were spending time under the same roof discussing our thoughts and the School of Life seemingly the same one we have both and still do attend. Two more... ÔÇ£AudreyÔÇØ, sweet Dog, ÔÇ£LoveyÔÇØ, the coolest cat I have ever met, all five of us, it was a refreshing weekend filled with smiles and sentiments I had not felt, none of us actually had felt in a very long time. A few photos on the Journal...
Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1090994174_cVmYW-L.jpg

The Call of the Desert. TX

We all have calls. Some professionals, some hobbies, some of many. On the road for four years, the path does not allow for many to materialize and yet some have made their ways into our lives. My buddy Spirit, writing my own thoughts as just another Life story for my own personal reasons, photography, traveling into my favorite spaces and discovering new ones, new Friends, riding and more riding, camping and cooking as I see them hand in hand, growth of the mind and soul, I realize there are more than I ever imagined would materialize. The strongest one always so appealing to me, providing this comfort zone I think most seek for has been the Deserts. Much has been written about Deserts, their attributes fills up many books and so often adjectives, words, they just cannot convey the feeling they provide to the senses sharpened by such presence. It use to be, and still is only less, the preference where the Mountains. The balance has now swayed, has for a while as maybe besides it all, it is the vision unencumbered watching the horizon while riding as on a vast ocean moved incessantly by Mother Nature. The ride a couple days ago proved it again.

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1096691300_dKaio-L.jpg

5th Floor: Happiness Department. TX

Four Years later, 600+ entries later, I cannot help seeing this time as a milestone of this path taken then, lived ÔÇ£nowÔÇØ. ÔÇ£JourneysÔÇØ of so many kinds are all so present within everyone's maybe ÔÇ£tasteÔÇØ? needs? desires? The stage blossoms, bares fruit as it has with me, the ride is not anymore only of a dirt road or paved road taken but becomes one shared with another Soul met. It is the same book and yet the chapters take on different colors, different meanings, a richer aspect as new days go by with baby steps within this new unknown present. Unknown and yet even if not familiar one that brings on such a new diversity of feelings, a culmination of a self taught well being not anymore quite alone but bigger than Life itself. The physical ride is always present, those wheels that keep on turning opens up the mind to experiences such as a couple days ago being stuck in sand and being rescued within a deserted space by another rider as if send for us. I do believe he was as I do not believe in coincidences. There is so much we know, so much we do not and only an open mind and heart will receive the surprises awaiting for us day after day.

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1102729588_4tAfE-L.jpg

Of Days to come... TX

Suddenly it is all about Thanksgiving. Generally spend in our Desert, maybe a pot luck in years past for a couple hours or so, but not this year. We our on our way to Tucson, yes again, it is a happy occasion... what's another 1200 miles to spend a few days with a good Friend, great company and I know good food. The pull for such decision was strong, I would like to say I left it in Spirit's hands, but it was not so. :)
The ride is of a familiar one, yet seeing what I had not seen before is an easy task, almost a game and tunes make the miles go by with a bit more pleasantness.
A bit earlier, a new space we found being invited at a Bed and Breakfast in Marathon I had never been or honestly never even heard of. ÔÇ£Eve's GardenÔÇØ, 10 years of buildup, a magical and colorful papercrete dwelling, or should I say dwellings with 8 guest rooms and what was to me as a maze and a photographer's playground.
Short and sweet, I hope everyone is in good company with good Friends as it should be, good Food as is always is...

Happy Thanksgiving
Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1113462989_a7LWv-M.jpg

Where is your ÔÇ£Silver SpoonÔÇØ? Tucson.AZ

This ÔÇ£ThanksgivingÔÇØ has brought new meaning to our Journey, without a doubt. The feeling is of a powerful one, the mind and soul here are set to make it a daily ÔÇ£ThanksgivingÔÇØ. And why not? We have so much to be thankful for, it is so easy, too easy to let that day go by and forget it all. The path is brought in and served by a ÔÇ£Silver SpoonÔÇØ if we only take the time to grab it's handle. We are still in Tucson, had a bit of a medical situation yesterday in the form of a possible ÔÇ£herniaÔÇØ which turned out to be true. Mild it is and with a bit of rest we should be good to go on Monday back to ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ, the always magical space awaiting for us. We will miss much, there is no doubt. One day at the time it is always our sentiment. Not much riding but much cooking here in a full and well pointed kitchen, enjoy the photos... they are all part of the Journey present. The never ending one.

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1119740379_RyspJ-L.jpg

A walk in the wash... Tucson. AZ

I almost feel as we both deserve a medal for finishing the 400 miles back to ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ yesterday. Not normally a big accomplishment, except for Spirit who as a real trooper never complaining of the miles, but only thinking so because of this not going away hernia pain. I am too well aware it will not vanish on it's own, now comes the steps trying to figure it all out as far as surgery, a task in itself when no Health Insurance is available. I know as always a door will open to take away this one more obstacle. One has to stay on the positive track of it all. On the much plus side also the weather cooperated with us in such an incredible way. December and still no heated gear needed with the added attraction of a tail wind which made ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ purr every ongoing mile. We had a chance in Tucson to hike a beautiful wash the other day, it was deserted, different Desert from here, different cactus's, an open door to experience Mother Nature so close to an Urban environment. We also cooked a lot these past couple weeks and the recipes going up on the Journal are only a matter of time. Enjoy... we sure did!

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1125528787_xic4G-M.jpg

The loss of time... TX

Lots of cooking happens always in a nice kitchen and I finally had a chance to go through the photos and post some of the recipes. ÔÇ£Melted Brie cups...ÔÇØ, ÔÇ£Spanakopita...ÔÇØ and more. And on now it is sitting here packing up to go back to Tucson for both the Holidays and hernia surgery. In that order! I will be driving and one more time as when I went to see my Mother in Germany ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ will stay behind. Not Spirit though! That is a big break. What happened to the uneventful winter I thought we would have? In my more recent entry I posted a video which I try to watch everyday. It is about living ÔÇ£the momentÔÇØ. An aspect I am finding more and more so important as the years go by and the unexpected is always around the corner. I hope you enjoy it and opens up a new door with a fresh outlook on the days to come. Short bursts of riding is about all we have been able to do lately, cabin fever does not suit us very well. Amazingly riding is not too bad on the hernia, not as bad as forgetting about it and trying to lift much, as everything around here weighs much it seems like! Winter only made it's mark one day with a morning temperature of... 12! No complains, I do know about the blizzards up north. We are here very thankful and fortunate as we should always be.

Be Safe and wellPeace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1129825479_RRYZy-M.jpg

Crossroads of Times... Texas

We have stood there at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ for days, unable to ride more than 60 miles a day, and that is with paying a painful physical price. A flat tire this morning while on our way to check the mail, and that did it... ÔÇ£White ElephantÔÇØ, 23ÔÇØ RV, has come to the rescue and we have started our trek back to Tucson where the Holidays will come first followed by my hernia surgery. Great plan! It is comfort, warmth, easy travel, maybe too easy, yet very odd as besides four wheels we are on foot and will make the best of it. We made it as far as Alpine today, a huge 60 miles, some food shopping which ÔÇ£how nice, it can go directly in the fridgeÔÇØ, some hardware stuff as always and a nap which took me almost beyond Sunset, awaken by ambulance and police car sirens, the train passing by and whistling to no end and now for some unknown reason a dog on-stop barking in the distance. Poor Dog, I know his throat is going to be so sore. Spirit here on the other hand is also nice and comfy. I know even with his coat and heated blanket it must be cold for him in the hack. I almost forgot to feed him tonight throughout this new path we are on. The one aspect I have enjoyed so far is the lack of attention we always attract. It is as traveling ÔÇ£incognitoÔÇØ. The main aspect of it all however as I have written in my Journal is the fact that for the first time in years the Holiday Spirit has descended on me, on us.

Be Safe and well
Peace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

1132918405_8BYyT-M.jpg

Being ÔÇ£flinchyÔÇØ today... Marfa, Texas

It was a couple days on the road, everything going through my mind suddenly piled high up, driving instead of riding, Lance again not being present for the Holidays, the thought of his seventh Anniversary coming up, surgery around the corner, more... All is well now, momentary ÔÇ£madnessÔÇØ maybe, ÔÇ£winter bluesÔÇØ... driving blues! When will I ever learn to live the ÔÇ£momentÔÇØ as Spirit does? That's right... I am only ÔÇ£humanÔÇØ.
If you have ever driven through Marfa and stopped at the ÔÇ£Food SharkÔÇØ for lunch, well, you are out of luck for the few coming days. Adam and Krista tied the knot on that same evening we had decided to spend the night in town. I was invited for the reception, a full on display of food, a couple wedding cakes and Music which I know went on for most of the night.
Not a time for Adventures I guess, or better ÔÇ£I knowÔÇØ. We will be in Tucson in a couple of days, I think that is where the true sketch of these Holidays will start. I could not be happier we are not spending them alone as these past years.
And just in case ÔÇ£Happy HolidaysÔÇØ... or is it too soon?

Be Safe and wellPeace, Love, Courage

Ara & Spirit

Back