• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

The Oasis of my Soul... Life Under the Stars

702018914_YGhwm-L.jpg

An ÔÇ£enchantedÔÇØ evening in Terlingua, Tx

I was stunned receiving these words as part of an invitation to attend a get together this past Saturday I have been asked by several to invite you to a Party happening here, at my House, Saturday night, October 31st. There will be 40 International Photo-Journalists (including 5 Pulitzer Prize Winners) and several of them adore your Blog. Actually they will be here for the entire weekend and beyond, and I just get them Saturday night, but I asked if I could pepper the Party with some individuals from Terlingua and they specifically asked for you. I started wondering if the sender had maybe made a mistake in identity which I verified with follow up e mails. The day arrived and now went by. The experience was incredible, a ride unlike any other as surrounded with such that have traveled the World for many years with their fingers on the shutter, providing for National Geographic, Newsweek, Times, CBS, just to name a few. Recipients of so many Worldwide Awards, and yet loving my own doings, this little Journal that has paved our past Years with my Buddy Spirit. There is no doubt it has been a feel good experience surrounded also with much Music, great Food and conversations.
More on the BlogBe well
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

704038223_ygAYP-M-1.jpg

ÔÇ£Day of the DeadÔÇØ Celebration in Terlingua, TX

Another year has gone by, this evening in TerlinguaÔÇÖs Cemetery the crowd has outnumbered the SpiritÔÇÖs ready for the Festivities, the Food, the Music and a Joy to join in good humor and Spirituality. It is still a new concept for me, it is slowly sinking in, a Day when sadness toward the departed is set aside to make room for instead a togetherness of the minds. It is as a rebirth every year around this time, a Celebration in Mexico that has spilled over to this near border town and others along the way. It is also an occasion to converse with everyone from this Town that has gathered and maybe not seen each other for a while. It was another ÔÇ£enchantedÔÇØ evening with clear blue skies, just the right temperature and a Moon rising as saying ÔÇ£here is shedding some more light on you allÔÇØ.
Slowly but surely I have deepened my affection for this Town which makes me feel welcome and even more lately assists me in being part of it, a notion that has escaped me for so many years past. Yes, this could be the Last Frontier, it is also my last line of reconnaissance to feel as being planted for these winter months ahead. What more can I ask for?
More of it in the Journal including my first Video of favorite photos.
Be well
Ara & Spirit

708035771_TQxxF-L.jpg

Slicing the Silence of Time, TX

With 217,000 miles on her I figured ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ deserves her own video! She is dirty, she is smelly at times, but she keeps on purring and swallowing the miles to no end. I think I am addicted to those ÔÇ£AnimotoÔÇØ Videos, they are right up my alley as being so simple to put together, each being so different from one another.
I actually worked these past couple days. I am not going to say ÔÇ£weÔÇØ because Spirit besides posing for others cameras, well, he did not do a thing. The ÔÇ£missionÔÇØ was taking landscape photos on River Road and off Marfa while also photographing bicyclists for a gentleman that is setting up upcoming Tours, complete with support vehicles and lodging accommodations. It was fun, no doubt about it, except for the fact that there was no chatting with others met on the road! It was waiting most of the time, shoot, and go on passing them all toward the next good spot. A good concept to get paid to ride, photograph, fuel and food throughout those two beautiful perfect days. It was not much, but, a Dollar is better than no Dollar I was thinking.
Enjoy ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ up close and personal!
Be well
Ara & Spirit

Those supported bicycle trips rock!

Just show up and every thing is taken care of except the riding part :D

That was how I saw Alaska. It was great.

Well, at 217,000 miles I think you finally got 'er broke in! Glad you made some cash photographing the bikes. Maybe some day we can share a "cool one" on the porch in Terlingua.

The Oasis of my Soul...

This guy setting up the Business is doing it right... so "we" expect you to see you here soon... Ian!

Porch? Let me know when...

711162338_djJxG-L.jpg

River Rd and Marfa, TX

So it was work, riding, stopping, photograph landscape and bicyclists, get back on, pass and wait for the next opportunity where Nature and machines would blend in perfectly. I am guessing a bicycle is a machine. If the opportunity was there I would do this once a week, there is no doubt as the day itself had great weather and light, specially early morning while on our way to join the group. There was even time for Spirit and I to play on the side of the road quite often, some great couple days. He was tired by the end of it however, for the first time laying down into the nose of his car not wanting to be my copilot as he normally is, nose over the windshield with his cheeks flapping in the wind! This Dog loves to ride, he feels important when he does, as he is.
What is next? Thanksgiving near by Houston visiting my Dear Friends Carl and Colette, much cooking anticipated including the Holiday treats. I think it will be a Culinary week! All mixed with cutting up some more Pecan wood for this upcoming winter, busy is good…
Enjoy the ride…Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul..

713715699_3Ebyb-L.jpg

The ÔÇ£Swimming HoleÔÇØ, revisited. TX

Again and again I am drawn to that Space where everything is every time as new. Somehow the latest photos taken there have become my favorites. One has this incredible symmetry of the mountain reflection in the water and a set of jaws only Mother Nature could create by the chiseling and polishing of her rocks present. The road leading to it is not too far from here, an unpaved road which only turns into being a bit challenging for the last mile or so. Even Spirit is now familiar with the surroundings. Trotting around as he owns the place, finding comfortable shade for himself, jumping high and low to be near by me at all time. The above photo is as it has just snowed a few moments ago. The sand even was still wet and shiny with imprints of a bird seeking water and even maybe shelter just a bit while ago. It truly is magic and more being able to combine a ride and a presence playing with Spirit and the camera so close by.
I managed to create a Video with all the photos in a bigger format and sharper images. Hope it works well Enjoy.Be well
Ara & Spirit

Lame Report

No Pictures!
In TN today it was low 70's.
Put in a hundred miles including a stop at Breeden's Apple Orchard.
Now have some Apple and Peach cider, 1/2 peck of of Pink Lady Apples, and jars of Apple Relish, Vidalia Sweet Onion Mustard Relish, and Appalachian Piccalilli to tide me over for a while.
Though we are past our color prime, it was still a beautiful day.
Gonna go mulch some leaves before they kill the grass.
Love this time of the year!:clap

The Oasis of my Soul...

No Pictures!
In TN today it was low 70's.
Put in a hundred miles including a stop at Breeden's Apple Orchard.
Now have some Apple and Peach cider, 1/2 peck of of Pink Lady Apples, and jars of Apple Relish, Vidalia Sweet Onion Mustard Relish, and Appalachian Piccalilli to tide me over for a while.
Though we are past our color prime, it was still a beautiful day.
Gonna go mulch some leaves before they kill the grass.
Love this time of the year!:clap

Must have been the Cider...?:)

716566376_i3Ro2-L.jpg

Big Bend State Park. TX

It was ÔÇ£Fiesta DayÔÇØ at the Big Bend State Park. The long awaited and postponed a couple times affair was finally secure on the calendar, both RangerÔÇÖs and Mother NatureÔÇÖs good weather forecast. It is the largest State Park in Texas, over 300,000 acres of Chihuahuan Desert within a rugged, remote and unpopulated setting. It encompasses two Mountain ranges containing ancient extinct volcanoes, many canyons and waterfalls. This weekend however the terrain must have been in shock as near 500 attendees were present for the festivities. Too late to have a camping ÔÇ£reservationÔÇØ, we rode in and out for the day meaning riding in a fog of dust unlike any other riding time. 27 miles of unpaved road where even some smart moves waiting for others to pass and get on with it during a break did not help. Even SpiritÔÇÖs goggles where covered with that fine dust, I only thought about it later, we should have worn bandanas on our mouth coming and going. The exposure was intense. No warnings.
Much preparation on their part, it is a Park with low attendance and luring hikers, mountain bikers and now motorcycles I hope will bring the numbers up. It was a long day for the both of us even if lunch was of a free one.
More on the Journal

Be well.

Ara & Spirit

718401762_3gntK-L.jpg

ÔÇ£The Mosasaur Ranch MuseumÔÇØ in Terlingua. TX

That word Mosasaur is not even in my spelling directory yet. It was a cold ride that morning, all well worth it as I had heard of this Museum just recently, surprised. It is a hands on experience one coming to this area should not let escape. No big banner, no big neon signs, they do have a website as they are in between Terlingua and Lajitas on the North side of the road. Cant miss it, there is a rod iron Mosasaur being built in progress.
And now, our last evening here for a while as we are headed out east to the suburbs of Houston for much cooking, riding and sightseeing, a much needed adventure so we can miss this place and come right back! Might not have a chance to post too much here, but somehow my writing and photography do not stop, I could not live without, it is my personal expression of our Life. Spirit is also ready, helmet and goggles, a couple bandanas. He will have a couple Friends to play with, hopefully this time will not be chased by a horse as he was during our last visit. He also has a new Friend that is going to fit him with a coat we will pick up on the way back as I said how about me?. No use
Be well

Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

More great photos and comments as always!

Thanks James...

722150618_HtWr7-L.jpg

Road trip. Tx

Sometimes it is above all being on the right mechanical path of a road trip, the mental aspect of it is as a stage brightening up as the miles roll away, it is not a game, there is no ÔÇ£tiltÔÇØ anytime. I have given up trying to figure out why these days to near by Houston have felt so good, they just did, I will leave it at that, sometimes why try to understand what ÔÇ£isÔÇ£.
Big day here at my Friends house on Thursday, many invites and much food I will help with. We actually went food shopping today. I have been craving fresh fish. We have Lobsters, Cod, Shrimp, all fresh, non frozen and the stores, well I realize the compromise, the big bargain I have made when it comes to food when walking through such a store as a new H.E.B. as big as a football field. When at The Oasis food is only a need it seems like compared to here now when food can be a true pleasure cooked in fusion of it all, specially being a Chef all these years. I would not trade, jokingly I was saying that Spirit and I will be moving to the City but yet, food and its preparation having been a big part of my Life with a passion for it as strong as riding or photography now, there is no choice, there is no regret, just thoughts of how nice it would be to have such a store in Alpine maybe!
Have a great Thanksgiving.

Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

727948060_eL3jP-L.jpg

Waiting, waiting in Houston. TX

So I am already missing The Oasis but a cold front coming up or down, forgot which way, is holding us up probably till morning only when we will then brave the colder temps for a couple of days. It has been all good, better than good. Great company with Friends, a warm bed and much great food, so much as I have almost decided not to eat today almost if it was not for those little mini Pecan Pies laying on the kitchen counter and a leg of lamb that followed us yesterday. We stopped at an amazing food store yesterday called Phoenicia and the smell of spices, sights of such foreign ingredients brought up such incredible memories of years so far past.
We are having a great time, Spirit has two buddies to play with as they put up with him since I have also been calling him a ÔÇ£trouble makerÔÇØ, but the road call, snow, sleet or rain no matter.
More photos of the George Ranch on the Journal today with also a video encompassing from the 1830ÔÇÖs to 1930ÔÇÖs, over one hundred years of four Families living within the many acres right next store to now the fourth largest city in the USA.
Till next time
Be well.
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

731120925_WQGar-L.jpg

Back to ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ. Tx

Seemed like a long road these past couple days riding in the upper 30ÔÇÖs to mid 40ÔÇÖs, an unusual change of the weather in this part of the country. I wore everything I had from heated gloves and jacket to balaclava, turtle neck, and for the first time my legs almost froze up! Spirit also wore everything he had, two of his new coats, the upper layer being a vinyl fleece lined raincoat. The timing could not have been any better as he is hard to fit and a store bought coat generally never firts him one way or another.
They are still predicting snow for tonight and tomorrow as Ft Davis only about 100 miles from here was gifted with 3 to 7 inches of it. Wish it would happen, the camera is ready.
My Friend Carl arrived here a day earlier, driving, trailering his bike and this huge load of Pecan wood. To my surprise it has already been unloaded and stacked. Crazy Friends I have! Good crazy that is I wish I had been the one doing it, I have gained five pounds on this little Holiday jaunt. Back to the slimmer meals tomorrow, tonight is a burned grilled cheese not paying much attention to it.
I finally managed to post the Thanksgiving photos on the Journal, great times and great food I am trying not to look at right now.
Till next time, you be well.

Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

733605841_ZJEHu-L.jpg

The Last Frontier. TX

I am exactly 5lbs heavier. It only took two weeks. We ate, we talked, we napped, repeat. I speak for myself, Spirit ran more than ever playing with his buddies, trying to anyhow besides being often a non sense to them on their own turf. We arrived back a couple days ago, a bit of a rough ride due to cold weather and my softening from being a bit further away in years. Just another way to say I am just not as tough as before
My Friend Carl was ahead of us by a day, of course he was driving and trailering our wood and his own bike, much Pecan wood. I was looking forward to stacking it, if it was for the only reason to spend some calories, but to my surprise he had the same thought and all was neatly packed above ground when we arrived.
It then got colder, much colder, it snowed, no riding, the bikes never moved and as he said, if he was just going to sit and wait, why not do it in his own vehicle returning home. Of course today in the upper 70ÔÇÖs, just another beautiful day in Big Bend Valley or the Flats, as they call it.
Summer is a long ways away, somehow Utah came to mind as it does often and end up putting together another photo~video I called ÔÇ£A slice of UtahÔÇØ.
Till next time, you all be well.
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

737576244_YgyGx-L.jpg

ÔÇ£OoommmmmmmmmmÔÇØ. Tx

Yes, we ÔÇ£OoommÔÇØ a lot in the Desert, total freedom to do so and feel uplifted from what might have been stored in the mind. Maybe I need to ÔÇ£OoommÔÇØ tonight also as sitting in Midland waiting for the first round of gum surgery to happen. Second round in January. So much to look forward to. With age creeps up the ailments, with the ailments creeps up the bills as I have been in shock of the estimated price, specially being a Christmas present from my Dear Mother. Even Spirit is not happy as he has lost his space to run for now, I canÔÇÖt wait to get him back to ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ tomorrow I hope. Life on the road with never ending surprises.
The past days have been for some relaxing ones even with the threat of strong winds for the area. Much cooking on fire, cooking for a few days as to not waste the precious wood that made itÔÇÖs way from far away Houston. And again the road calls, maybe a visit to the Chinati Hot Springs might be a good idea to relax a bit.
The greatest gift these past days have been the sunrises. There are a couple photos on the Journal that have left their fingerprints.
Be well,
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

742510181_AzPBp-L.jpg

A walk in the Park, Big Bend. Tx

Falling behind the times, time that has been escaping me these past days after gum surgery, part I, more to come in January. It is as everything must stop for the body to recuperate as the mind also changes gear and stuck in neutral has not had much energy to even come here. I did manage to put up a photo video documenting a bit the past first days when the sidecar arrived, delivered by truck, Spirits first ride with his goggles on sitting crooked Some fond memories which reminded me that such a video can only handle a few photos, as an over 100,000 photos Library has been build over these past years. As I go through the folders I constantly surprise myself seeing the memories of so many places we have been, so many others we have met and yet, there are still so many we have not physically encountered as we only write back and forth, again as time permits.
The road is filled with so many we constantly meet such as a young man while doing laundry that impressed me for having such Spirituality at such early age, moved through Life with the word ÔÇ£HOPEÔÇØ in big shiny and lit neon sign. They are the human interest moments of this Journey, such as also a walk through Indian Trail where amazingly Spirit saved me from a Federal Offense and much complication that could have ensued.
Much news on a couple new posted BlogsBe well, Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

744846194_Zs3Ya-L.jpg

Just in time for the Holiday! Tx

Today the skies are covered with gray and the sun is barely making its way to show us the light. But sunny is my Heart and with open arms welcoming the moments present. The past couple days have been unlike today, dark and somber, a past Friend managing to unleash their own dark personality on me a long story I had to put in words to move it on away from my Soul as it is the purpose of this personal Journal of mine that I keep writing on. Just another kind of a ride report, they are not always on three wheels, the mental aspect often has a way to penetrate the deeper milestones that move on with their various speeds, forms and shapes. Its all good and we too will joy for the Holidays coming with visits from many Friends suddenly in touch before their own presence.
Our last ride, the physical one Old Faithful took us on, was to The Closed Canyon. A beautiful ride on River Rd passed Lajitas, westward toward Presidio. No one was in sight, we had the hike to ourselves till we reached a drop not present the last time. Afraid to not be able to come back up we turned around and had a great afternoon. Canyons are always a challenge to me to photograph because of the intensity of the many various lights. You be the judgeBe well Ara & Spirit and just in case HAPPY HOLIDAYS

The Oasis of my Soul

748727560_hpyhE-L.jpg

ÔÇ£The Point of my BalanceÔÇØ. Tx

Everyone must be getting ready for the Magical upcoming evening and day. We are too in our own fashion as it all started this morning with more blue skies after a windy stormy evening of yesterday. It was more viewing of this incessant show in 3D within this incredible stage. It is reflection time for many I know, with a new number on a New YearÔÇÖs ÔÇ£dateÔÇØ coming up, it has been reflections within also myself to find a better balance throughout this Journey as I now know it can be done, must be done and acquired.
Dinner with the neighbors and Friends, rides to Terlingua for their annual Christmas lunch~dinner, there is lots going on here if one chooses to participate. We call it ÔÇ£DesertÔÇØ here, but it is not inhabited, the community is strong and as we have been coming back every winter, more and more I feel the welcome has increased making me strongly feel part of it all. A nice feeling throughout these Holiday times.
Wishing a Merry Christmas from the bottom of my Heart to everyone here as Spirit is wagging his tail in total agreement.
Enjoy the photos of this past evening where the skies would just not stop changing their costumes at the blink of an eye
Be well Always.
Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul

750278689_EnQMN-L.jpg

Christmas Day, Texas style

There is much to be said when invited to the ÔÇ£Cowhead RanchÔÇØ for Christmas Day lunch~dinner, meaning ÔÇ£lots of good foodÔÇØ and great company with characters that could fill the credits of a Western movie. Spirit himself, at times the leader of the pack of a multiple dog gang, sometimes however chased, had the time of his Life. Only till I finally put him up on a long leash to avoid trying to figure out where he was at all time.
It was a good time for all, neighbors getting together to celebrate the day gratified by great weather.
A few days left for this one exceptional year, one that has truly brought up to the surface much schooling of this Life we have chosen a while back. I feel as these past days of been the culmination of much learning, of many new Friends, a truer chosen path to live the moment and yet think a bit about where will lay the next avenues to ride on.
Lets keep on riding, two wheels, three wheels, even four! I am not prejudiced as long as the wind is in my face and an unequaled sense of freedom is upon me while putting on the miles awaiting us.
Enjoy the Cowhead Ranch they are open for visitors, their fire is burning, the horses are ready to take you for a ride you will never forget
Be well Ara & Spirit

Back