• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

a little taste of Fort Davis, Texas...

120863729-L.jpg

We rolled in Fort Davis in the afternoon... the weather was not cooperating... very thoughtful that I packed yesterday in dry conditions... and so here we are a few miles north.
And I was thinking that maybe I should have skipped Big Bend, leave it for last, and then again, there is no planned end to this Journey. You guessed it, I just understood what my friends, which had left days earlier, wrote... I already miss it!
There will be other regions, comparable on many levels of its beauty and serenity, but I just realized that Big Bend had been to me like a calm Ocean with its full sun, day after day...
I think today the weather has a lot to do also about how I feel... dark grey all day... there is excitement however in being here... It is a real little town... with many Restaurants... shops... friends to be made and awesome roads to ride... as I understand, it is going to be beautiful these coming days...
Spirit and I took a walk... check it out in the Blog...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

PS: I am not ignoring you reagrding the bike/sidecar... will write about it in a day or two... Thanks...

Day 2, Fort Davis, Texas.

121117704-L.jpg

I fell asleep when I returned from todayÔÇÖs ride, which beat me up again struggling against the winds riding up to Fort Davis Mountain and the Mc Donald Observatory... Awesome roads... it had been a while since riding nice sweepers and twisties, without a speed limit per say, remembering someone not too long ago telling me that I would be done here in a couple days!... So much to see, so much to ride... The start is in todayÔÇÖs Blog.

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

Fort Davis, Texas... Day 3

121326128-L.jpg

Quite a contrast from yesterday, was a cool night at the most which even allowed us for a nice walk... Spirit had some problems during the night... and this morning I woke up to snow flurries!
Am I complaining?... not the least... will take it any way it comes... specially after yesterdayÔÇÖs great ride as written in the Blog...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

Meeting the Meathead....

121593191-L.jpg

It was an anticipated day to see Meathead, (Mark), can you understand his handle through some of the pictures?... swing by here, Fort Davis, TX, and join me for dinner...
I have posted the pictures and the short stay on my Blog...

Enjoy and be well...

Ara & Spirit

Backing up a bit in time...

121887840-L.jpg

Hard to believe that one week and more has already gone by in this New Year... time is starting to speed up as I look at maps, there is no plans or directions, the weather will be my guide mostly as I have to move on to warmer climates, mainly for Spirit. With even two coats on, the poor guy is cold, he does not want to go out and I am not feeling comfortable with his lethargic days... we both need our exercise... him as much as me!

We did not ride yesterday... spend it mostly at JerryÔÇÖs and NaldaÔÇÖs Bookstore... it amazes me for a town this small how many interesting people there are... so many conversations!

There are always pictures from the past that do not make it on the Blog... with Cagiva 549's permission I have posted some of the recent past ones...

Hope you enjoy...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

A ride to Balmorhea Springs... awesome!

122109644-L.jpg

DonÔÇÖt you be thinking now...
On my way back from Balmorhea Hot Springs, a few miles into the ride, a black truck with blue and red was flashing... I could not see very well beyond it, looked like a couple bikes had kissed the grass...
Not so...
They were shooting a commercial! I stop... U turn... going the wrong way... the local Sheriff is not very happy, but the guys are... a sidecar with a dog? compared to the usual two wheel stuff they have been working on. Any chance to be in it?... I ask... sorry... wrong brand!
Oh well... maybe better luck next time...
The rest of the riding was great... it is all the Blog.

My last day in Texas... you have been good to me... I leave with some new friends and some incredible memories... and I will be back! There is no doubt about it...

Be well...

Ara and Spirit

In transit, Wilcox, AZ.

122424168-L.jpg

You know the drill if you have ever taken a Freeway, in transit as I call it... and most, unfortunately, because of lack of time, somehow wondering why my time has been lacking now suddenly... needing to get from point A to point B as I am doing!
It finally was a good decision to take Hwy #10... as you might read it in the Blog...

Till then... you all be well... were going...

Ara & Spirit

Chef,
I have enjoyed reading about your travels! The reason I asked what kind of rig and sidecare your riding is for several reasons.
I was in a plane crash the beginning of December. With some time on my hands, I began to reflect on my future. I am 58 years old and had planned to do alot of flying in my coming retirement - low and slow and easy. I believe my flying days are over, so it's back to motorcycles. I have been riding bikes for close to 40 years and my current ride is a Gold Wing. I have two broken legs and a broken back (which are on the mend) and I am not sure of my ability to handle an 800 lb bike.
That's why I was looking at a bike and sidecar. Not to mention my Qweensland Heeler loves to ride and go traveling.
So.... when you get a chance, I'm sure along with other folks, would be interested on what you ride and perhaps how you ended up putting it together.
Thanks
flynride

flynride

Hi there... I hope I at least agnowledged your question initially, if I did not, you have my appologies!... Besides posting my Blog all else sometimes falls off to the side... Like now, Starbuck, Tucson!!!
Where do you live? I know many people that can help putting something together for you, and some that you do NOT want to put anything together...
Let me know where you live... and PM me your ph#... I have free weekend calls and we can talk... there is a lot to consider.
Looking forward to helping you the best I can...
Be well...

Ara & Spirit

The Magic of the Chiracahua's

122638899-L.jpg

It rained all night, we, I say we!... slept late... kept raining and there was not much sense going to Tucson trying to find another place to camp... 80 miles away, I thought, leave early tomorrow morning and have a do nothing day!
Well, the skies cleared up, and actually for the first time I cannot write it all in one Blog!
So this is part one of what end up being a full day...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

Part II of the Magic of the Chiricahuas...

122802510-L.jpg

A quick overnight in Gila Bend, AZ, and here we are now in Anza Borrego, California! I will spell it for the first time...
A day, or was it two days ago?... returning from the Chiricahuas the sunset was magical... as so was the ride up, all in the Blog.
Feeling always like a kid in a candy store... that is me today... new maps, new roads with the knowledge that I will be here, in this area anyhow, till it starts warming up a bit...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

just got on board

Today was the first time I read your thread: :doh , went to your Blog site as well;
thank you for picking me up on an otherwise uneventful day here in N.Y.,
Siimilar to you I packed up my stuff and headed out in an old mail truck with a dog when I was 23 yr. old, that was 30 years ago today but what you're doing reminded me of how wonderful life was on the open road:groovy , how long are you out for? I see you have an address in Florida, did you have any time set to be back or are you freelancing until ....?
Great photographs also, I'll be tagging along:lurk .....
Bob

Today was the first time I read your thread: :doh , went to your Blog site as well;
thank you for picking me up on an otherwise uneventful day here in N.Y.,
Siimilar to you I packed up my stuff and headed out in an old mail truck with a dog when I was 23 yr. old, that was 30 years ago today but what you're doing reminded me of how wonderful life was on the open road:groovy , how long are you out for? I see you have an address in Florida, did you have any time set to be back or are you freelancing until ....?
Great photographs also, I'll be tagging along:lurk .....
Bob

Glad that you enjoyed it!... I know I do... and strange enough I also enjoy going back in my own Blog... to see where I have been and how my spirit is evoluating!
I go back to the first week on the road and today and see quite a difference...
One has to have an address... you know... tags... taxes... I have no time limit set... I just like being on the road moving around... always have...
Seems like it is your Birthday today... if so... have a great one... and don't wait too much longer to get on the road again!
Be well... stay in touch... I do!

Ara & Spirit

Anza Borrego Desert State Park (ABDSP)

123231545-L.jpg

Leave some space I always think... with a load like mine the braking effect is just not the same... specially when second in line to a minor fender bender... What was really funny and I wish I had a picture of it, but we had to move along as this happened... We had to wait a while for the accident to be moved. A cop arrives coming the other way... parks and crosses the median by foot...
They are making some space for us to move along... as we leave... he sprints back to his car as I almost run over him, I look... and the brushes under his car are on fire!!! flames are shooting 3 to 4 feet by the time he reaches the other side... myself wondering what he is going to do... he jumps in the car, gutsy move... and drives it forward! Gets his extinguisher and puts the fire out... his car was not burning... yet! Wonder... wonder... I bet he will never throw that cigarette again down when getting out of his car!!!
It was down to 19 degrees last night!... I will not complain, I know I am at about the most southern point there could be and everyone else has to be colder. So you will not hear about it... anymore! Instead I will write my day in the Blog, my first day in this unusual State Park...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

It's possible the catalytic converter started the fire. Funny nonetheless as he'd have to
explain why the car burned otherwise :)

Be safe,
Ian

This is real Desert, a reminder!

123517269-L.jpg

I have not been able to settle since I have been here, unlike other places that I have been, I have dug deeper and deeper and very slowly some mental answers are, vaguely I have to say, taking some various shapes. I watched a short movie this morning at the Visitor Center about the Marshall Family that lived here on Ghost Mountain for 15 years... hiking for 14 miles they brought wood piece by piece to built their home... their water came from miles away 12 gallons at the time... They had 3 children and they end up with a divorce in later years. Can we change so much, from one extreme to another? I miss the simpler years... of course I can go back to them as right now nothing prevails but truly the matters of the mind... ABDSP is an enigma to me as I wonder why it has brought up all these questions in my mind? Is it because it is so vast?... so much land with the freedom to live on it anywhere one likes?... the invitation sure is there... I will probably take it after my stay here in the Park... that is what I have been longing for...
I got to ride some of those areas today... much land... and much sand!

The Blog.

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

Beautiful Southern ABDSP

123901265-L.jpg

We had a blast today! Literally... my best day since in ABDSP... and, as someone mentioned it, the Southern part of the Park is it for me! No doubt... I am finding out slowly what attracts me to the land... Vast open spaces, the solitude and the lack of a crowd, unlike Borrego Springs itself.
Having commitments from the 26th of this month to be in Death Valley and Mojave Desert and backtrack to Gila Bend for a couple days, I know... thanks for the support, it is a tough schedule... I decided to come back here afterward but camp in the Southern part which you will read a bit of it in todayÔÇÖs Blog.

You be well...

Ara and a tired Spirit... snoring as we speak!!!

The first bloom in ABDSP...

124089214-M.jpg

Busy, busy!... maybe I will take a vacation and ÔÇ£do nothingÔÇØ someday, and then again, that is just not me!
From meeting locals in Borrego Springs to picking my next campsite in the wilderness... finally... and getting stuck one more time... it is all in the Blog with of course, more pictures!

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

Camping East ABDSP

124409842-L.jpg

Out of Borrego Springs this am... into the camping spot I was checking out yesterday... time to put everything to test... and even managed to take a little ride toward Salton Sea... A beautiful HOT day, not a good one for pictures as the haze was real thick, still managed to save some for your viewing on the Blog...

Be well...

Ara & Spirit

Back