• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

The Oasis of my Soul... Life Under the Stars...

451589614_TvayV-L.jpg

The ÔÇ£Closed CanyonÔÇØ. Tx

Another destination which was a discovery to me. As always a nice ride on River Road and past Lajitas this jewel of a Canyon, an easy hike with narrow passages, beautiful multi color walls with a spirit of its own when one thinks about the years it has taken to be carved with each flash floods. Square miles and more square miles surrounds us, the new sights are never missing throughout our days of this Journey.
Right now also we have the pleasant experience of a visitor, Kristi, and Adventurer herself and a great rider along with also her cameras to capture her own Journey. It is a good time specially when being around another rider that enjoys photography as much as I do, showing her the sights of the unbeaten paths, the ones not many will see while here only for a few days.
This pushes away a bit our own departure for Death Valley by a couple days, we are not on a schedule eventually that road will present itself for the taking.
Enjoy the photos of the Closed Canyon
Be well, as always Ara & Spirit

453168594_8HHUt-L.jpg

5 Years ago

Sometimes the mind has its own complicated way of moving along. On the road some markers will come up without a warning bringing up memories of past years, specially when within the month marking an Anniversary. Such is Life I keep telling myself as time passes by, there is no detour trying to avoid the thoughts, and writing about them helps somehow making it through the faced harder times.
With a Friend visiting and much riding to show her the out of the way sights that numbers this backyard of ours, an Old Movie set seems to have pushed a start switch as if 5 year old film started to roll. Writing is such a therapy for me, specially when the words keep talking back, specially when a good Friend is present loaning her share of support. The exchange of thoughts and words heard makes it all a smoother time, so gladly welcomed.
My Blog was never meant to be a ride report or a Dog show, or for that matter sometimes a cooking show and I am thankful for that It is just another Life story that seem to be rolling on with the punches.
Be well Ara & Spirit

453842313_SmEjo-L.jpg

The Makings of a Friend, Tx

Riding and photography are two hobbies generally spend with time alone, in our case anyhow as so few can have the patience for each other. They are both a mind set when we try to get into that space and close all foreign elements to enable us reaching a sense of accomplishment and pleasure. Of course tastes differs.
It was a surprise to meet a Friend, send here by another reader, enjoying the same thoughts as I have and sharing some of the off beaten path spaces around this area.
There is so much to see and feel that one needs to forget the quantity, forget time and enjoy instead the quality of the moment. That is exactly what we accomplished for three days.
The Indian Trail, the ÔÇ£swimming holeÔÇØ, River Rd and an old now battered movie set, they were all our destinations throughout these shortened and cold days.
Neither of us are use to any company really, but I have to admit that being on the same wave length as someone else made those three days very pleasant.
More on the BlogBe well Ara & Spirit

The Oasis of my Soul...

What a wonderful picture and I hope the memories it brings are good ones.

That photo is for you Ian... you are the reason for teaching me the making of that star! Always think about that when it is that time. Thank you...

455552542_owBVr-L.jpg

Time to ÔÇ£rebootÔÇ£, Tx

When one meets and finds Friendship awakening long lost feelings of happiness, that ÔÇ£oneÔÇØ being ÔÇ£myselfÔÇØ, I can only find it proper to dedicate my thoughts on this Blog to her, my Friend being Kristi, having spend a few days here, in this calm ÔÇ£OasisÔÇØ of ours poking the mind to find a better balance.
She is gone now, back to her own Life, we are here now back to what I feel will be a new Life on higher grounds wearing a bigger smile. The smiles were complemented yesterday by riding a new road which the locals call ÔÇ£Valley of the MoonÔÇØ passing by ÔÇ£Ice Cream MountainÔÇØ. More Masterpieces from the hands of Mother Nature working so hard to show us the beauty that surrounds us.
The road leading was an easy one in most places, a bit more challenging crossing a few dry creek beds, sometimes having to walk it first considering the fact that turning the hack around is a more difficult task than when being on two wheels.
The Treasures are all around us, again this was out of the beaten path, as we like it.
Enjoy the Photos
Be well, Ara & Spirit

456840239_cChnn-L.jpg

The Ghost Town of Shafter, Tx
A beautiful day, 300 miles of blue ribbon roads, a Ghost Town to wander with camera and senses in hand, Spirit in a jovial mood what else can one wish for winter times?
I like Ghost Towns, they make me think a lot as they also make me imagine the past lives living on the same very same steps I take. Shafter also has a great Memorial Historical building always open with many photos hanging, stories as one could spend hours feeling part of it all.
We are taking off tomorrow morning for a couple weeks to the Hill Country. It is that time, cold or not, they called us Del Rio first and then on north to some spaces we have been told to not miss. Have to be back by the 3rd for a Doctors appointment and then it will be on to Death Valley for February. They say it is good month for it. I am sure I will find Internet connections as we go along, but activating RSS feed is always the sure way to keep up with the Blog which I voice tape while traveling and eventually type with some strange results sometimes. We also have been loaned a SPOT for help, emergencies and also the tracking feature has been enabled. The link is on the Blog.
Be well give us a wave! Ara & Spirit

459236784_5vpuw-L.jpg

To the Texas Hill Country, Tx

Being here now, in Leaky, after a not so good first 24hrs through Del Rio, how can one not fall in love with the area! We had never been here before and now I want to know all the back roads, the dirt roads, every single little town with itÔÇÖs history, geology, you name it. I understand why everyone comes riding here, they are also perfect roads for a little bit of fun with the sidecar as the curves not being as tight as in Georgia, North Carolina or adjacent States. They are perfect. Many streams, rivers, photo opportunities, with clear waters in transparency with their bottom painted in their multitude colors of sand and erosion.
The people are the nicest they can be, we are having a great experience at the ÔÇ£Camp Live OakÔÇØ a couple miles north where they let us camp, use their power and WI FI, even feeding me these both nights! And yet, we are traveling I feel at fast speeds as we will head east tomorrow a bit to meet some Friends for a few days. The taste of the Hills has now been acquired! We shall return again soon.
Be well always. Ara & Spirit

462103032_xqrEK-L.jpg

Houston, Tx

And why not? I received an e mail yesterday from a reader totally amazed to the fact that we could even be near by Houston. Picking our days we actually spend most of Saturday and Sunday downtown with my Friend Kristi playing the landscape, the skyscraper lines, the moving targets, all with our cameras in front of a dreary background as the weather has turned cold and gray.
Surrounded by her Family when back in her lively home, it has been time to do much cooking, conversations, a taste of an urban Life that both Spirit and I have been bypassing for a long time now. We will start heading back west soon, more Hill Country as we have barely skimmed the surface. Life on the road, a multi direction voyage never ceasing to surprise myself on a daily basis.
The sidecar rig has been in the garage, Old Faithful is resting for these couple days as she is nearing her 200,000 mile mark.
Enjoy the photos, they are of the Hills in the Blog.
Be well Ara & Spirit

463417118_MFx4o-L.jpg

Riding back to The Oasis

Cold snap, night time ice, a couple more days in the Hills. Seems to have to order tires every time I turn around, hopefully they will meet us soon to enable us to take off for Death Valley within ten days at the most. We had much fun downtown Houston, I will have to remember that any Big City can be fun on the weekend when the streets are fairly deserted. The gray skies those two days have added another dimension to all these man made masses of cement, metal and glass standing in front of us. There is an Artistry to it, nothing in my eyes however comparable to Nature itself.
We should be back most likely Friday, I can taste the space awaiting us, same as I will be able to again taste the roads once out of The Oasis. It is always the same story! When here, want to be there when there, want to be here. Trying to keep the balance of it all.
Today we rode Old Tunnel Rd, Grapetown Rd and Willow City loop. Endless incredible roads, not much for photography however. Enjoy downtown Houston
Be well Ara & Spirit

Ara are you coming up to the northeast this year ?
??? I really don't know... Spirit has not made up his mind yet...
Thanks Franze...

465662377_Zm57g-M.jpg

The short way back Tx
More roads in the Hill Country discovered and put aside for the next round when not under a time restrain. The variety is intense. Some great for riding and some incredible for both riding and photography. Will try to make it back when the wild flowers are blooming making the shoulders and waterfalls of the rivers flowing through some, I am sure, incredible backdrops.
The ride back yesterday was pleasant with a tail wind that moved us smoothly here to ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ which always welcomes us with open arms.
We are again surrounded by the serenity and silence of the Big Bend Valley.
We rode and stopped in Fredericksburg to look at the old buildings and weathered old doors and stones, we photographed ÔÇ£StonehengeÔÇØ and ate the best BBQ I have ever had at ÔÇ£CooperÔÇÖsÔÇØ in Llano. Trying not to look at the photos I took while eating, what a shame it is not next door specially that Spirit also totally agreed with my taste buds.
More photos on the Blog

Be well, Ara & Spirit

466999614_4vUPd-L.jpg

Before Death Valley

Incessant questions arises always within down time as we have been back to The Oasis after experiencing a few pages of the urban chapter of this Journey. This is the space to think truly, amazingly a fact I had not expected when deciding to base camp here for most of the winter. It is all good
This might be our last day before leaving tomorrow for Death Valley. Something new we will take the Freeway all the way! Not an attraction for sure but I just want to get there as back roads will take us over a month knowing very well how distracted I can be! 300 miles or so per day, about 140 miles the last day, we should arrive in 4 days. Never planned a route as I have this time, feels a bit strange, will see how it works out. We will probably stay a month or so, plenty of time to get familiar with the area, listen to I am sure some great tips as to where to go and not. Stovewell Campground at first till we discover better primitive camping areas. Our SPOT will be turned on, not too exciting however the first days!
Some more photos of our last adventures are on the Blog.
Be well. Ara & Spirit

468868531_LWapz-L.jpg

Freeways to Death Valley

Texas to New Mexico was great as after arriving in Van Horn we were able to stay on the back roads all the way to El Paso which we bypassed. And then now in Casa Grande we had to bite the bullet and ride the Freeway. Of course Murphys Law gave us a heavy nose wind dropping us down to 60mph at times and a great upper body work out! It lightened up, started over for some reason every time I read the dust storm might form big yellow sign! So it is par for the course. 470 miles from Death Valley right now tomorrow will put us close only if we stop stopping so often! Old Faithful is doing well, she just turned 200,000 miles today, amazing machine with a unique soul she has been.
Calling for some storms tomorrow maybe while going through Las Vegas, we are well protected, 100% waterproof, except for gloves
Off the Freeway photos on the Blog
Till next time, from Death Valley, be well
Ara & Spirit

Pretty sure it was you I saw this morning just a few miles NW of Wickenburg on 93. (Was in a cage.) Kind of a wet day here, as I'm sure you must have noticed!

472475713_ozbnG-L.jpg

Elevation Zero Death Valley, Ca

Isolation makes it hard to post anything on the Internet, but somehow always manage to do so for my Blog. Slow, very slow connection is making it almost impossible for Forums. RSS feed (bottom of Blog opening page) and yet still checking the Blog every two to three days will be the only way throughout these times for anyone to stay with us!
One of the worse storm they have ever experienced has come through here a couple days ago. Most the non paved roads are closed, our stay might be a bit shorter as even when opening the grounds will be too soft and muddy for us to ride on.
Mother Nature sure has painted some beautiful images surrounding us throughout this vast and past Ocean bottom. A full Moon rising makes it all even better with temperatures a bit on the chilly side but tolerable.
The Dunes and other spaces photographed are on the Blog and recent past archives.
Be well, always.

Ara & Spirit

475566174_pCacA-L.jpg

Mother NatureÔÇÖs arms, Death Valley, Ca

Couple Blogs later I now have down time to post here a bit more while on our way back to The Oasis. It has been rough, cold, windy I have to use the word miserable!!! Luckily with good Friends here in Kingman trying to regroup for the last 900 miles that will take us back I hope to some warmer and calmer weather. What was I thinking traveling in this fashion in the middle of winter? A miracle maybe! Overseeing what was within us in Texas to reach some spaces the wrong time of the year. I think I will kiss the grounds when we get back. We did manage to check out Dantes peak, the outside only of Scottys Castle as coyotes in the parking lot would not cohabitate too well with Spirit while I took a tour. National Parks are so tough for us that we will have to avoid them in the future. There is still besides them many sights awaiting us where dogs are welcome and not frowned upon. More on the BlogBe well, always. Ara & my buddy Spirit

479471005_Yn38E-M-1.jpg

A slight detour and some Bloody Mary mix, Tx

Back at the Oasis, finally catching up with all the good stuff one has to in front of this screen that keeps staring at me. We end up taking a detour through the Texas Hills as again cold weather came upon us the last night camping at Garner State Park. My Friend Kristi and her daughter invited us for a couple days, as always excellent company and much photography. 23 degrees the last night spend the handicap heated shower stall was a great idea to sleep in. Just in case someone else comes across this peculiar situation. Till morning anyhow when the toilets started flushing!
Always great roads to ride, great food at BJÔÇÖs and Lost Maple Cafe, priced cheaper than home cooking. Much photography due to low waters and the many rocks and tree trunks dispersed within the creeks.
It feels good to be warm again here, high of 82 the temp said, short sleeve T shirt and no wool cap is more my speed and SpiritÔÇÖs also since shedding his winter coat due to defending our campsite from Mr Skunk.
More on the Blog, actually a couple posted Blogs.
Be well, always.
Ara & Spirit

479926386_Fben3-L.jpg

Resting the old bones in Big Bend! Tx

With the temp hitting 100 yesterday, finally the bones are starting to thaw out from the frost that had penetrated them the past couple weeks. 100 felt pretty decent I must admit to my surprise, hey sun bring it on I kept thinking, one more refill please and I will take yet another one today.
I am all ears from my readers toward unknown destinations when Spring comes. We are done with ÔÇ£tourist trapsÔÇØ even as magnificent some marvels of Nature can be. We are done with ÔÇ£National ParksÔÇØ having Spirit frowned upon, only maybe riding through them for a few photos. Every corner of this country has a story and so do people we meet. I feel as on a new venture trying to put it all in perspective, blending both into one big basket of thoughts, photos and stories. An old building, an old bridge, old cars abandoned rusting away, a hill and a valley, a canyon or flat land, every square inch and its inhabitants have witnessed times past worth discovering. Exciting times ahead as is also the present now back at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ.
You be well always Ara & Spirit

481776677_ynYeR-L.jpg

Back in the Saddle, Texas

Ah! Texas cook outs, tis the season of them all. Socializing in these desolate vast areas in a busier fashion as even before. We have not even gone spend much time yet in Terlingua as time is spend around here cooking and eating and of course chatting with neighbors. Neighbors seemingly inexistent, but, that is only imagination as they are around and like wild fire the words spreads fast when a cook out will be happening. Everyone has their own kit! It seems as I should now have my own as I have been bailed out a couple times already! Silverware, napkins and cooler ready for the ice and beverages of choice. Water has always been ours Spirit and I drink out of the same source, a simplicity that follows us.
Plans are unmade, for some reason that will always remain unknown, the destinations near by are pushed away for the next day or so, a funny thing while camping you here.
Cooking outdoor is an art I am learning, witnessing bread made out of Dutch Ovens and for that matter anything else going on those plates.
More of it on the BlogBe well, always.
Ara & Spirit

484078896_BRaYf-L.jpg

400 Chapters, 900 days later from Texas

Miles? How many States? I donÔÇÖt know. I donÔÇÖt keep track. Meaningless truly if the importance is on sitting on that saddle and letting the mile markers go by to only increase the volume of the unseen roads. The above numbers only interest me as marking a symbol of days past within a mind that hopefully has risen to a better stage in this Life of ours. It is time passed, used, they are the words written, spoken to myself, sunrises and sunsets all with their own fingerprint of the day.
We took off in search of wildflowers yesterday. False alarm? Almost Yet a few on the path to the Hot Springs within Big Bend Park. The ocotillos should be blooming soon and so are many others hopefully. It will be a landscape smorgasbord I am sure.
Just hanging out as they say. Enjoying the warm weather here, Spirit as usual clowning around big time every morning, and often again cooking on the fire, that circle that has become my center of the Universe where I can go sit and ponder about this Journey.
The rest of the story is on the BlogBe well, always and thank you for being with us.
Ara & Spirit

Back