• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

"The Oasis of my Soul"... a Lifelong Journey...

i-9GJSCch-L.jpg

Fort Stanton. Ghost Town. NM.

It seems as throughout our wanderings, there is always a harsher reality when the Human element has come into play with the space we are planted on. Such was the case while in Fort Stanton, New Mexico. It was as instantly Mother Nature gave away what could have just been rolling hills and a landscape so inviting while on the way. Buildings after buildings, now unoccupied, vestiges of past History, only the winds of a different pitch were the sounds of what was once filled with voices of Human presence. I read the words and pages of such History and can only find an unfairness of past acts, I know of a touchy subject, maybe taboo for most, and yet without personally much comprehension on how such greed has lead to such times. ÔÇ£RidingÔÇØ, ÔÇ£The RoadÔÇØ... all are such incredible sources of constant thoughts, it is when they enter the mind and the thinking goes on and on, so much so I can only pull over to write them down with always the fear I will forget, or better often dictate as the memory can linger and loose them, loose the correlation between my own present time and those words making their way, jumping in some sort expressing their own reality. Yes, Fort Stanton is worth the visit. You can read about how it made me feel, maybe your own take will be different.
Be well... Always.
Ara and Spirit

i-4jXPdKW-L.jpg

Mystified in Death Valley, NV.

This time around we are here for about a month as already a week has passed. Fast it goes within this incredibly immense stage. Stage which is also the death of any kind of Internet connection, it is Nature and us and some unseasonably warm weather. Some nice clouds here and there, sunrises ans sunsets always a treat while cooking dinner in the open air, nothing like it. Yet, the space has been a bit intimidating. As I see groups riding, driving, I feel as being by ourselves a bit more caution is a must around here. Point A to point B is always a lot of miles and even though we have a SPOT and a SAT phone with the local numbers (911 from a SAT phone goes to New Jersey!) and it has taken me a bit to absorb what this area is all about. A winter in Death Valley! Thinking snow and cold as our previous short trips here, instead mid seventies every day... Good Karma!
Enjoy the Photos...
There will be more as we are able to connect.

Be well... Ara and Spirit

i-BGr82Xz-L.jpg

Lost in Death Valley. NV

3 millions of acres this time around with incredible weather which does not cease to amaze me. Pass up the ÔÇ£touristÔÇØ traps, the paved roads and what is left are miles of unpaved paths, most with more washboard I have ever felt. Yet the worth is present when we can spend nights and days without hearing anyone present. As long as we have water! Death Valley started very intimidating, mainly because we are by ourselves, even equipped with a SAT phone and a SPOT it would not be a scenario of substance to break down. Most I come across are in groups, a wise aspect. I did see my share of it with others and their flat tires, so far we have done well and moving on smartly. A couple more weeks probably before we have to head back to Texas, ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ is being technically overhauled. I cannot think about it yet, I am falling in Love with Death Valley and finding ways to survive camping free, shower free, a bit of wifi and cell service here and there and that is it. More on the Journal...

Be well, Ara and Spirit.

www.theoasisofmysoul.com The Journal
www.beemerchef.smugmug.com The Photos
www.store.theoasisofmysoul.com The Recipes

www.printfection.com/spiritedoasis T Shirts and more

5 years, the Stars, living under them

i-3N5JkLb-L.jpg

Imperfect Perfection. Death Valley. CA

If nothing else we have joined the mile marker "Tea Kettle" en route for the "Racetrack". Yet, there is much more when one has the chance to spend camping a few nights in that desolate space. It feels "way out there" and it is. No light pollution, a few tourists throughout the day a couple miles away, coming in and getting out as fast as they did. Sometimes I don't know why they bother, some not even removing their helmets or a quick window down and up, quick photo and back to where they came from. Mystery.
Spirit had a blast on the Playa which reminded me a bit of the "salt flats" only smaller. One on one, closer we have become. There is a promised certitude of not leaving such a space being the same person inside out. Changes happen as it has happened. It has been a space like no other I must say leaving me to often speechless throughout the time spend.
The "Racetrack" will become as "Valley of the Gods" have, most likely a once a year pilgrimage.
More photos on the Journal...

Be well, Ara and Spirit.

i-HQt7zzj-L.jpg

One Bad Day for all the Good Days. DV. CA.

Just stepped out of the Park heading South East through Mojave National Preserve. I could not find any room in my heart to go back through Las Vegas, Phoenix and Tucson.. It is a bit bitter~sweet today leaving. Leaving while discovering more spaces we could be camping on while the entity of this enormous Park finally has turned into Friendliness. ÔÇ£Warm SpringsÔÇØ Rd off ÔÇ£West Side RdÔÇØ, ÔÇ£Hole in the WallÔÇØ, ÔÇ£Echo CanyonÔÇØ, ÔÇ£SkidooÔÇØ, ÔÇ£The RacetrackÔÇØ, ÔÇ£Marble CanyonÔÇØ... and the names could go on and on. One bad day in exchange for all the good days while being here, it happens everywhere, mental downfall as much as physical when such a storm as in the recent past days takes place. ÔÇ£Death ValleyÔÇØ has now taken a different form in my mind, it has become a bit more familiar and yet, demanding a respect due for every moment spend.
It has been quite an experience, another landmark we will come back to no doubt.
More Photos on the Journal and a quote from ÔÇ£SpiritÔÇØ

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-mh4rf5z-L.jpg

I need a ÔÇ£wake upÔÇØ call. Texas.

ÔÇ£Death ValleyÔÇØ is behind us, physically only, my Soul has yet to leave ÔÇ£Warm SpringsÔÇØ Rd, the hills off ÔÇ£SkidooÔÇØ Rd and the few others we were lost on. Since exchanging thoughts with others having also experienced ÔÇ£Death ValleyÔÇØ I have been pleased to know that I have not been the only one a bit ÔÇ£intimidatedÔÇØ by such vastness. It has a been what I call a ÔÇ£Life changing experienceÔÇØ. It has reinforced how strongly is the need for ÔÇ£getting lostÔÇØ, how fully such isolation avoiding the ÔÇ£tourist trapsÔÇØ can keep us afloat days on end. We are now back at ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ where the skies on the first night welcomed us as never before with a Sunset of epic proportion. The photo above is only one of them, all taken within less than a two hour span. We did drop south through Mojave National Preserve, finding more primitive camping by the Kelso Dunes, and then on ÔÇ£BelleÔÇØ campground in Joshua National Park, this time around a bit quick for our taste but we needed to get back here and apply myself to some logistical issues. A few days, some serious maintenance and on again...
Enjoy...

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-CVHtXJm-L.jpg

Always "rediscovering" myself... Texas.

The route back from Death Valley took us through Mojave and Joshua Tree. We just could not make it a straight line to "The Oasis", this space awaiting for us "again", right now a bit hotter than what we would like to be, yet, with not much of a choice considering "Old Faithful" will be soon in a few days going through some major overhauling. Patience. Death Valley was as kicking us out or sucking us right back in. A ride report! It is never a physical ride report. The stages we are on play too much of their own feelings toward my senses, my Soul, my mind... It has become endless, it has become my own "World" as I discovered for the first time not long ago, just a few days past, it is "OK" to be in our own "World". It is fine even if so not agreable by many for the only reason of it being so different with the lack of switches and a comfort seeked. The "comfort" is within, the dimmers have too often a mind of their own moved around by so many tangents I can only be ahead of them all or too often behind.
So we are here, Spirit with his own freedom to run around as the forever Clown he is and myself these first days being lazy as never before! The word "summer" is sharpening daily. Where will we be? How far can our fuel loosing it's value will take us? Are we going to give in? We cannot. Colorado sounds enticing. The back roads of the many Forest service trails will see us parked and enjoying the coolness of such summer.
In the meantime we are also getting ready for a sharing of the Journey in Albuquerque on April 11th at Sandia BMW Motorcycle Dealer. How to share the so many years within such a short time? A slide show, tid bits on how to move on as we do while writing, photography, meeting new Friends on the shoulders of the roads, the ones paved and unpaved, cooking, all positive aspects of this road taken... The same path will take us to Overland Expo on May 18~19~20ht in Flagstaff. There will be more... Sharing is what it is all about.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-ttfrjcQ-L.jpg

One Book, a "Milestone". Texas

Standing still. We are. The triple digit on the heat index is not. "That" keeps jumping. We are just so much not used to any kind of heat. The kind that drains, takes away thoughts and any desire to accomplish anything of worth. A couple more days, "Old Faithful" will be taken apart, we will be headed North. Yet, everything happens seemingly for a reason as I seat here and read a Book that is enlightening me. Yes, it is about the struggle of Life when loosing someone Close and Dear. It is as the pages have been written for me, it is about the path we have taken, it is telling me of an approval as never heard or read before. It is liberating to know as such, that once a while back, my decision for these past years and today has been the right one as difficult it can at times be, as challenging the simple aspect of surviving on all aspects month after month can be.
The Journey when we leave will take a turn, I can feel it and know it. So many spaces are awaiting, the ones not many have heard of, the ones one can blend in and be part of it's creation in contemplative aspects so too often ignored by many.
In the meantime, here, evening storms have made for some photos depicting always the beauty of Big Bend Flats which might not be the proper name of this area, but that is what some of us call it. All this is about some rides in the neighborhood.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-JwJ7DSf-L.jpg

Heating up on ÔÇ£Big Bend FlatsÔÇØ. Texas

I write a bit every day. It is part of my breathing it seems like. Breath out to allow breathing in. The heat index should have been proud of reaching the three digits for days on end while having us as a must to remain here. Of course now, this evening, a large storm moved in with much rain, wind and cold air. So my Journal is only true for the past days and not today. Does it really matter? It was then those days past a must to go on riding, hot or not, part of Life's Therapy to ride, a familiar loop to Terlingua, and on River Road to Presidio, Marfa, Alpine and back here. From ÔÇ£inside my helmetÔÇØ I should often call the pages created. That is when it happens, the voices express themselves. An ÔÇ£Art ShowÔÇØ in Presidio lured us in. The most important aspect of the week however was ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ going, not under the knife, but the wrenches. New rear engine main seal, clutch and a variety of maintenance aspects which will allow us to once again get rolling. Was it my doing? Of course not. My ability does not go that far and my good fortune to have a Friend such as Paul in charge of it all, well, there are no words for my gratitude toward him as not only he is the best ÔÇ£mechanicÔÇØ around, but also an incredible ÔÇ£Human BeingÔÇØ when truly experiencing the Man one on one for a few days. It is all done, finished, rolling... 3 days it took, 3 days of Spirit being unhappy seeing his car away and apart on one wheel! This body is a bit sore from pulling, lifting, aspects uncommon throughout our ÔÇ£regularÔÇØ days. On to Albuquerque... should be a good ride.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-R3kxDbH-L.jpg

Our ÔÇ£FateÔÇØ in Albuquerque. NM

I know it is a Monday. The Dealership is closed. ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ is sitting 600 miles from here, should I say ÔÇ£a blown engineÔÇØ? That is basically what it is! Yes, after spending days changing a clutch and a rear main engine seal. different department! Till this morning, as the expression says, I did not know if I was coming or going. Trying to regroup. Yet, our good fortune tagged right along with us. We limped right into Sandia's BMW Motorcycle Service door! Our Presentation was the next day. They bend backwards and so quickly determined what was wrong. Everything. ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ gave it her last breath to take us there. That in itself was amazing. More good Karma as within a couple days a Friend living near by gave us a drive back here to ÔÇ£The OasisÔÇØ where we are waiting, unpacking what has been thrown in the car, repacking to hopefully go back soon and continue our Journey. A new engine has been found, 2 years younger and with only 30,000 miles! Will this give us another 250,000 miles to go? Hoping and projecting. It was bound to finally happen, Nothing lasts forever and I am so thankful all is falling nicely together even though my emotions are at their highest. The Presentation went very well to a full packed house... More on that the next time. The backroads to Albuquerque... Enjoy this new entry.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-G7qLdbs-L.png

Trying to swim upstream... Texas

I have to be so glad all this is happening now and not within a hot and dry Desert while isolated and miles away from civilization. ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ awaits in Albuquerque. She is in good hands at Sandia BMW Motorcycles, she has the best mechanic taking care of her while a replacement engine is on it's way. 2 years newer, with only 30,000 miles on her, it is as a new heart is being transplanted without loosing her Soul. Yet, it has been strange, specially the first few days. Amazing how a ÔÇ£machineÔÇØ can develop such a Soul which when not together leaves an empty daily space.

Regardless, our ÔÇ£PresentationÔÇØ went on real well, the slide show mixed in with a couple of ÔÇ£Spirit's VideosÔÇØ [of course!], narration of a few close to my Heart destinations, mixing in a bit with tips also throughout the Tech Session that followed, all I must say was entertaining as we also made some new Friends. Standing room only, the hour went by fast as ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ was rolled in into the room. I think she also enjoyed the time present with so many.
We should be rolling a week from today... should be as the new engine is being dropped off on Monday. Packing and on our way tomorrow on a slow pace this time exploring more of those back roads around Albuquerque. 55 being one of them.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-QD9gSKV-L.jpg

Northbound. In lust with ÔÇ£CarrizozoÔÇØ. NM

Sometimes it happens as in a few years ago when arriving in Big Bend and Terlingua. There is an indescribable sensation that penetrates one's inner senses and makes it all happen, happen as ÔÇ£I would like to spend some serious time here...ÔÇØ. That is what ÔÇ£CarrizozoÔÇØ did to me while after leaving ÔÇ£Valley of FireÔÇØ [NM] to come into town when my stove lost a part. Will see... might be a good space for next winter.
In the meantime we are circling ÔÇ£MountainerÔÇØ having accepted the hospitality of new Friends and tomorrow is ÔÇ£on the way to again AlbuquerqueÔÇØ to saddle up with ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ.
ÔÇ£Sandia BMW MotorcyclesÔÇØ in Albuquerque I must say has done everything possible for us to get rolling without much delay. Quite a task I must considering installing a new engine and the intricacies of reinstalling the sidecar. A bit more complicated on the GS [R1100] while there is not front frame and engine bolts are forward the main supports.
Seems as it has been an eternity. Seems. Will not be that much longer till the three of us again are reunited and rolling, this time toward Arizona.
Enjoy ÔÇ£CarrizozoÔÇØ photos. There will be more.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-stpwstV-L.jpg

More of ÔÇ£CarrizozoÔÇØ and ÔÇ£Chaco CanyonÔÇØ. NM

This vast space has touched us. Carrizozo is till fresh in my mind, the quaint feel and friendliness of the locals, the proximity of so many new roads, all makes me want to make it an ÔÇ£OasisÔÇØ for us next winter. Will see! Maybe. As everything else on this Journey of ours. ÔÇ£Chaco CanyonÔÇØ where we also spend a few days, well, none has yet sank in due to the enormity of what we encountered. The past remains of a Culture so intense, the many dwellings standing and preserved from an era when yet ÔÇ£metal toolsÔÇØ where just not around.

ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ is up and running. The anticipation of the repairs dollar amount was a shock, of course, like everything else, yet, it has been done right and can only hope many new miles are in store ahead of us.
To compound it all however half of our camping gear has been stolen from one night in Albuquerque, simply lifted off ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ, another shock, another setback.
Sometimes the skies open up and the storms drop to no end. That is how it right now feels as we try to move on toward Flagstaff. Check out our Merchandise section...
Enjoy the photos, the roads. On we go for more... Trying!

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-76XbPSC-L.jpg

Without a ÔÇ£Philosophy of Life...ÔÇØ AZ

Unusually have not been here in a while. A couple entries on the Journal, the one before last with many more Photos of "Chaco Canyon".Between playing hide and seek with some return and sending oil hoses which were wrong four times [outside vendor], picking up then ÔÇ£Old FaithfulÔÇØ to ride it and trust it, moving on here to the ÔÇ£Mormon LakeÔÇØ area near Flagstaff, Spirit a bit under the weather with a Vet that wanted a series of expensive tests... Life on the road seems to finally lighten up for a breather before Overland Expo starting in a couple of days.
I had no idea this area is so beautiful and plentiful of unpaved but very well maintained roads. Cool weather throughout the days, cold as we [at least I !!!] like it.
I am slowly trusting this new [for us] engine, the feel is different, stronger of course with only it's 30,000 miles.
There will be a big crowd at Overland Expo, many Friends we only see once a year, some maybe twice. Lots of cooking, chatting, giving a ÔÇ£One~PanÔÇØ cooking Class for all the three days. Traveling without refrigeration as we do... simple and clean and good.
There will be I am sure many photos from all attending vehicles, maybe a couple videos, the area is huge. Much excitement ahead I must say...
Till next time. Enjoy the Photos from ÔÇ£MountainairÔÇØ all the way to ÔÇ£Mormon LakeÔÇØ including ÔÇ£Pie-TownÔÇØ.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-Vfs7gwz-L.jpg

All Roads lead to Overland Expo. AZ

The dust has settled from days amongst an Epic wave of vehicles, people, Friends camping with, names which now have faces, dogs, classes, movies and more as I am sure I am forgetting something. Cooking! This Year's Overland Expo was larger than ever, it was an amazing array with everyone present living a common denominator : The Outdoors.
We had arrived early, amazed with the Coconino National Forest and it's hundreds of miles of well maintained unpaved roads and the bonus of some very cool weather. I always feel so ignorant as with in past years ÔÇ£Big BendÔÇØ, this stage also was a big green space on the map I had never quite paid much attention to.
Such discovery always makes me smile when I am asked at times ÔÇ£so what are you going to do when you are done?ÔÇØ. One is never done, only rests a few days as it was last weekend.
We are now on our way to Colorado in search for more such roads, elevation and cool weather. It is there awaiting.
Enjoy the many Photos of some truly incredible vehicles. There will be more, the camera did not rest too long.

Be well,

Ara and Spirit.

i-WvkZvM4-L.jpg

Looks like "we are" doing it. AZ

The dust has settled from this past weekend amongst a sea of many Souls everyone on the path of their own direction. Ours will take off tomorrow when we head North for months seeking more beauty, calm days, cooler weather and if lucky isolated spaces with a creek. I know it is awaiting for us. Faith in Life within this direction taken. I am thinking about backtracking a bit and heading out through New Mexico to experience the "Bisti Badlands" if the heat does not chase us away. It has been a bit of a numb week following all the recent past excitements. My sleeping bag has been replaced as also cooking stove and miscellaneous items. As more time goes on I feel as cutting back more and more the luggage volume. Devising different scenarios. Who needs all this! Simplicity is always so much less to try lug around. Anything we have not used for a year or more. Yet, Murphy's Law might prove to the contrary as soon as leaving some items behind. Who was Murphy?
More Photos of Overland Expo on the Journal. Enjoy.

Be well,

Ara and Spirit.

i-f4P6x2N-L.jpg

Summertime roads... CO

This is the time, the months, these precious moments when being in between four walls with a nice wifi connection is truly rare. These are the times chasing cool weather at high elevations meaning lost on some dirt road opening into a meadow reflecting the blue skies staging the pure and white clouds chasing each other. Sometimes blended with grays by the end of the days. Once in a while, as today, we find us a nice Library as here in ÔÇ£Lake CityÔÇØ, Colorado, and the communication again opens up, catching up on the well being of others, of Friends and acquaintances. I am seeing and feeling Colorado as never before. Maybe as every year that goes by new senses develop? I don't remember the colors so bright and so intense. I don't remember seeing so many unpaved roads going right and left. Posts keep going up on our Journal, we do have a great Webmaster, he makes it so easy for us. New Photos, thoughts, that is what these past years have been about... many thoughts. Maybe too many.
Talk soon and be well... we will be in Colorado for a while, the price of fuel is not much of our Friend lately!

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

i-jQNnm3B-L.jpg

Lake City, Blue Mesa Reservoir, Salida and now Colorado Springs. CO.

The heat wave is following us or is it we are falling into it's heated arms? 100 +/- in Colorado Springs were we have stopped for a few days catching up on mail and errands. I feel as they should have a Weather Map for the Country indicating any regions under 70 degrees daytime. Not wanting to be stuck on a Peak we will probably soon move on North, a couple more days here it will be.
In the meantime we did spend a few days around Lake City and on down to Blue Mesa Reservoir and Salida to replace a passed away ÔÇ£will join the pile of dead electronics somewhere on EarthÔÇØ smart phone.
I don't know why I seem to have lost a bit of stability. Maybe just have not found yet this space which will talk back to us and invite us to remain a bit longer than we have lately.
ÔÇ£Father's DayÔÇØ has not helped neither these past days. Seemingly, the better the memories, the harder present times are.
I feel as we need a fresh start. Summertime and the roads await, we will find those empty spaces appealing to the senses. They are there and as before, they will be ÔÇ£hereÔÇØ. A couple entries: ÔÇ£Postcards from ColoradoÔÇØ and ÔÇ£Salida. COÔÇØ.

Be well,

Ara and Spirit.

i-W9wFQ4h-L.jpg

On to ÔÇ£Brooks LakeÔÇØ, WY.

Elevation is what we have been seeking, without the crowd and the heat. We found it a bit passed Landers and Dubois, an unpaved road (515) going up to one of the most beautiful scenic Lake we have been able to camp on it's shores. Today the snow has almost melted, but for a few days having to walk on it to get to our tent, well, it is the end of June and ÔÇ£what a feeling!ÔÇØ. We are avoiding Yellowstone and the Tetons, no need for us to get caught in miles and miles of traffic jams because of a squirrel crossing the path. There are dozens of ÔÇ£off shootsÔÇØ from the main road, I think we are taking roots here exploring the vast neighborhood. After all, we do live on the road, we are not traveling.
It is going to be a ÔÇ£hot and dryÔÇØ I keep hearing. The valleys are indeed warmer than we like it and so was Colorado Springs feeling as an oven. We only lasted three nights with some good Friends, we lasted one night in Landers with more good friends.
ÔÇ£Mother Nature'sÔÇØ little self made spaces is what we always seek... and find.
Enjoy Brooks Lake and it's surroundings.

Be well, always.

Ara and Spirit

Back