View Poll Results: Better "Scenic" Interstate Travel East to West from Maryland to Iowa

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • via I-80 W 913 Miles

1 33.33%
  • via 1-70 W and I-74 943 Miles

2 66.67%

Thread: Better Route from East to West - I80 or I70 & I74

Better Route from East to West - I80 or I70 & I74

I am doing a fly and ride from Gaithersburg MD to Iowa. I will be traveling flat slab as fast and as scenic (if that is possible) on an interstate. I have never rode out east through the iron belt but was wonder which is a better route to travel.

Options via Google Maps are...
    1. Northern route 913 miles via I-80.
    2. Southern route via I-70 W and I-74.

Just looking for the better route if some one sees this message and can help offer an opinion.

Thank you, NB
    Black 1150 RT '02 sold
    White 1200 GS '09

This is not as complicated as it sounds, but avoids toll roads and and as many major cities as possible through scenic areas. It is all superslab interstates.

From Gaithersburg take I-270 north to I-70 at Frederick, MD

I-70 West to Hancock, MD, then I-68 across the Maryland and WV panhandles...beautiful

At Morgantown, WV take I-79 north to Washington, PA and get on I-70 West to Indianapolis, Indiana.
    It becomes pretty flat and boring after Zanesville, Ohio, but that is the same on any of the Interstates across this part of the world.

From Indianapolis take I-74 to Rock Island/Davenport, get on I-80 and cross the Mississippi into Iowa.

Be careful in Illinois on your speed. They occasionally use hidden speed cameras on some roads in what is called a construction zone where no one is working and they have removed everything except a few orange barrels. The fines are incredible!!!
    George
    R1200RT, K1200RS. Previous K1200LT, R80RT, R100R, R75/5

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeK1200RS View Post
    This is not as complicated as it sounds, but avoids toll roads and and as many major cities as possible through scenic areas. It is all superslab interstates.

From Gaithersburg take I-270 north to I-70 at Frederick, MD

I-70 West to Hancock, MD, then I-68 across the Maryland and WV panhandles...beautiful

At Morgantown, WV take I-79 north to Washington, PA and get on I-70 West to Indianapolis, Indiana.
    It becomes pretty flat and boring after Zanesville, Ohio, but that is the same on any of the Interstates across this part of the world.

From Indianapolis take I-74 to Rock Island/Davenport, get on I-80 and cross the Mississippi into Iowa.

Be careful in Illinois on your speed. They occasionally use hidden speed cameras on some roads in what is called a construction zone where no one is working and they have removed everything except a few orange barrels. The fines are incredible!!!
    Thank you for the ride route and tips. This sounds great!! Just what I was looking for.
    Black 1150 RT '02 sold
    White 1200 GS '09