• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Bmwmoa Member Accident Help Please

T

tkusa57

Hello,

My freind put his bike down (gravel)outside Pennington Gap, Virgina? He is in Wellmont KingsPort Hospital with a double fractor broken leg.Surgery today and then he will fly home.

My question is I was trying to help him work on getting his bike back to Illinois. He told me his account number for this site and said he had the "PLAN E" insurance plan. He said he thinks it covers recover and transportation for the bike back to his home. I called the BMWMOA web site, but they are closed until Monday.

Does anyone know anything about this PLAN E? If they do not cover transportation back. Do you know who else can transport bike back?

Bike is in the Barn of a nice citizen that was on the scene of the accident.

Thanks for your help...

Hmm. First off I'm glad to know he was not injured any more seriously.

Being a holiday weekend, it might be this evening before you start to get a lot of feedback on your main question.

Thanks,

Well after calling the BMWMOA insurance. That don't have recover transportation back home for bike. He was in the hospital when I spoke to him, So maybe he was confused.

Looks like I need a number of a moving/hauler out of that area to move the bike back to Illinois. Anyone know of any hauler? or what is a good price?

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
There are 3 dealers in VA. so you might want to give one of them a call and ask who they would suggest for tranport. I know there is a couple transport company that advertises in the MOA anonomous book Federal (www.funtransport.com 800-747-4100 ext 217) and Haulbikes (www.haulbikes.com 888-428-5245) I've never used any of these and have no idea if they will pick up a wrecked / bent bike.

VA dealers from anon book are:

Chesapeake--- Advernture BMW 757-523-7055

Fredricksburg---Morton's BMW Motorcycles 540-891-9844

Lynchburg--Hammersley Motors INC. 434-385-6226

I'm not familiar at all with the area so have no idea who is closest to you.

Glad the injuries weren't worse.

I have used Fun Transport, they were very good and quick. It was less to have them haul it then for me to fly out, get bike, get hotels, and get gas on the way.

I would think that many carriers would be leery or transporting a damaged bike though.

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES...

Researching best way to get the bike back right now. Most of the haulers want a 15 day window. Which is good for pricing.

I have someone riding out today to see how bad the bike is. I know the guy that put it in his barn was able to roll it on a trailer. So thats good news it still rolls.

Seems best deal might be to rent a truck and hauler her back...

Thanks

frequently the least expensive way is to borrow or rent a trailer and drive down to haul it back......just takes a bit more time.....maybe a friend will drive with you and you can go through non-stop....

Hope your friend heals fast......

Update, he is out of surgery, all went well... I did not get specifics on how good or bad but I talked with him, which is good news!!!

It seems best bet right now is to rent a Budget truck with ramp. $260.00 plus gas, unlimited mileage, 4 days to return.

Thanks for the help...

Update,

Budget said we can't put bikes in truck, said if Police pull you over they would confiscate bikes. Something about hauling gasoline in a closed truck. I guess it falls under the law with cars in closed trucks. U-haul said they did not care so we are renting from them. I had to tell them because the guy picking up the truck has to put his bike in at the pick-up center.

Thomas is doing well this morning so far surgery went well.

He is stuck down there for 2 weeks. If anyone wants to call and say hi.

His room number is 1-423-224-4859. If anyone lives near by stop in and say hello, might help ...

Thanks,

Hertz

tkusa57 said:
Update,
Budget said we can't put bikes in truck, said if Police pull you over they would confiscate bikes. Something about hauling gasoline in a closed truck. I guess it falls under the law with cars in closed trucks. U-haul said they did not care so we are renting from them. I had to tell them because the guy picking up the truck has to put his bike in at the pick-up center.

My son was broken down in Virginia and he rented a truck from Hertz and loaded his bike into the van and brought it home to Michigan. Cost $600 and that was over 10 years ago.

Git er home

A less expensive alternative is to rent an enclosed trailer from U Haul. Here in the Northeast they are about $20/day with no mileage charge. They usually don't do one way rentals.

Then all you need is a vehicle with a hitch. U haul will even set up the trailer lights to be compatible with your vehicle.

YMMV

Friedle

Friedle said:
A less expensive alternative is to rent an enclosed trailer from U Haul. Here in the Northeast they are about $20/day with no mileage charge. They usually don't do one way rentals.

Then all you need is a vehicle with a hitch. U haul will even set up the trailer lights to be compatible with your vehicle.

YMMV

Friedle

I have pulled a one way uhaul numerous times. Just costs more. I pulled a 5x8 from SC to VA for 100 bucks I think.

YMMV

Back