• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

ON looking for tech articles

MANDYPANTS

Know a lot about K-bike tech?
Plan on wrenching this winter?
Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.

Technical articles

Hi Mandy,

as a fairly new member (2 yrs) I don't know what has been covered in previous years. For people interested in doing this is there a list of what has been covered available?

Has there been any inquiries as to what people would like to see covered?

For example: Changing air filters on different models, flushing cooling systems, etc...

Thanks

Roy

mandypants said:
Know a lot about K-bike tech?
Plan on wrenching this winter?
Enjoy writing?

The Owners News is looking for technically proficient people who know how to wrench to share their knowledge. If you are interested in writing one or more technical articles and explaining anything from simple maintenance to complex repairs, please e-mail mandy@bmwmoa.org. Please be prepared to submit photos of your project, and captions explaining what is in the pictures.

Hey Mandy,

Does this mean I'm getting fired?

roy said:
Hi Mandy,

as a fairly new member (2 yrs) I don't know what has been covered in previous years. For people interested in doing this is there a list of what has been covered available?

Has there been any inquiries as to what people would like to see covered?

For example: Changing air filters on different models, flushing cooling systems, etc...

Thanks

Roy

I'll make a comment here:

As a regular contributor for over ten years - the hardest part of writing my column is figuring out what to write about - what the topic should be.

So - if you have information you would like to see covered in Benchwrenching email me at paul.glaves@mindspring.com with your request. I might not get to it immediately but I will try. Some of your suggestions might not work because there are some topics I don't know enought about to do a reliable column. But ......

PGlaves said:

As a regular contributor for over ten years - the hardest part of writing my column is figuring out what to write about - what the topic should be.

So - if you have information you would like to see covered in Benchwrenching email me at paul.glaves@mindspring.com with your request. I might not get to it immediately but I will try. Some of your suggestions might not work because there are some topics I don't know enought about to do a reliable column. But ......

But......then again, you're tech smart and write a good column. So you could possibly resource info from some folks who know and don't (for whatever reason) write their own column.

Jack,

I have been trying to get a person to write one or more articles on basic 12v electrical troubleshooting for a couple of years. This person has never been very enthusiastic about doing it.

I could do it - I am pretty good at troubleshooting 12v stuff - but my terminology and Ohms law would be all messed up in the writing.

Any takers?

I have run several articles by others in my columns over the years. Not enough, but several anyway.

PGlaves said:
Jack,

I have been trying to get a person to write one or more articles on basic 12v electrical troubleshooting for a couple of years. This person has never been very enthusiastic about doing it.

I could do it - I am pretty good at troubleshooting 12v stuff - but my terminology and Ohms law would be all messed up in the writing.

Any takers?

I have run several articles by others in my columns over the years. Not enough, but several anyway.

A general article about electrical troubleshooting? One wouldn't know where to start.
I'm wondering how one would write that. What to include. Would one start with a quick lesson on the basic tool(s) like a multimeter? What it measured? How you would check resistances of wiring connections and circuits? Checking voltages and how to measure current (without blowing out the internal fuse in the meter...)? Then maybe a general description of the color codes and terminal numbers that BMW and Bosch use on wires and relays. What the colors denote (usually) and what the numbers on relay terminals generally mean? How to read a BMW schematic. Maybe a sample common problem and how you would logically trace the location of a fault in the circuit. And everything's not a short. Opens cause trouble too.
One wouldn't know where to stop, now that I think about it.

Where to start, where to stop?

Well - probably what is DC current. Battery +, wire, switch, load.

So - your tail light won't work. How to test using a test lamp. VOM.

Continuity - what does that mean. Testing with an Ohmeter.

Structure is the key but it needs to be done.

I get more questions regarding this than anything else except maybe final drive bearings:)

PGlaves said:
Hey Mandy,

Sweet Baby James, NO! We couldn't go without Benchwrenching - it's a favorite of many folks (including me!). We're not looking for new columnists. The general consensus has been that we need more basic "how-to" type articles. I figured that lots of members would be putting their bikes in the garage for the winter and tinkering with them, so it would be the perfect time for them to record what they've done and share it with other people.

You, Paul, are irreplaceable!
:kiss

cjack said:
Would one start with a quick lesson on the basic tool(s) like a multimeter? What it measured? How you would check resistances of wiring connections and circuits? Checking voltages and how to measure current (without blowing out the internal fuse in the meter...)? .................
One wouldn't know where to stop, now that I think about it.

Some of us could use a lesson like that, and you'd seem to be a good candidate for the bloke to write it.

If you would include a section on how to dance the Polka, and distribute it before this years New Glarus trip, that would be perfect.

Tech Articles

Originally Posted by PGlaves
Hey Mandy,

You all have heled me with my love, :clap and she is my bike. :)
I allways look forword to the knowlege that I see from the members on this great forum. :clap :clap :clap :clap

Happy New Year to All :bar
Michael Richard Oshawa, Ontario

:thumb And if I can help I will try.

and I don't think your fired :clap :clap :clap

what to write about

PGlaves said:

How about getting some of the many aftermarket doo dad people to write a few articles on how to install their product on the bike. I read somewhere the average rider spends an additional $2,000 on accessories within the first year. I for one have bought hard cases, a trunk, several wind screens, additional lights, and the list goes on. I usually have to scour the few good websites devoted to our cause for creditable advise. It would be nice to have an article or too on the stuff we can get for our bikes.
Just a thought -
PS - any info on BLUETOOTH helmets from NOLAN?????? That looked really cool..... no more wires...... :eat

Gmac

74' R90/6
04' K1200RS

Then you either A. don't own one or B. don't ride it.:stick

:D

We rode them...but didn't really wrench on them. Two different K bikes in 20 years and about 100K miles. A single valve check each, antifreeze once or twice each and oil changes. Total repairs incl two rear mastercylinders and one fuel pump for the 4 K bikes. That's about it.

Back