• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camping at the National - ask Mike

gsjay

Re: Direct from the horse's .......mouth aka ask the chair

Go ahead, ask whatever's on your mind. See you in Charleston.

Mike,

We went to Charleston in January to scout things out. We went to the U of C and looked at the grassy area between the buildings and the river.

Is that the camping area? How many do you think will fit there?

Are the showers right inside those buildings?

Someone says that we won't be able to park at our tents, is that correct?

Thanks,
gsjay

U of C camping

Camping at the U of C will be permitted on almost any grassy surface. Any area where camping is not permitted will be so marked. I am not really sure how many tents we can fit there, but that is why there are three camping areas. There should be enough room for everyone. Showers at the U of C are located in the gym building and will be open in the morning and evening from 6-10. restrooms are available in almost every classroom building on every floor. Some of these classroom buildings will be left open on a 24 hour basis. We should not need any porta potties. Due to the finite amount of lawn space and the ample adjacent paved parking lots, the U of C has asked that the bikes remain on the pavement so the tents can stay on the lawns.

Camping

Just wondering if you would relate the size of the camping area at U of C to the space that was available at Trenton. Or some other rough estimate of the size. I plan on getting there early Thursday, so I don't expect a problem, but have friends coming later in the week. Wondering if space will run out.

Also, not real excited about parking in a lot and walking to the tent.

camping space at U of C

Total acreage of the three sites combined is about the same as the camping acreage used at Trenton. The U of C will be about 40% of the available camping space available. Since I anticipate that a great many people will make U of C their first choice, it will also be the most crowded.

The walk from the parking lot to your tent will be a couple of hundred feet at the most if you are on the river side of the buildings. The U of C was pretty definite about not having the bikes on the lawn...and we will need the space for tents. If you camp on the river side of the campus buildings, then your bike will be out of sight. If you camp on the road side of the buildings, then you should be able to easily see your bike from your tent. The parking lots will be patrolled by both the U of C campus police and the regular MOA security volunteers.

If you choose to camp at the quiet and family area at Magic Island, about 4 blocks from the Civic Center, or at the more private hilltop camping at the Northgate Business Park, then you can indeed park your bike right next to your tent.

The only real advantage to the U of C is that is where the beer tent will be, but that is why we have also set up the free evening shuttle bus service to bring those who want to have a few beers with their friends to the U of C without having to ride their bikes.

Camping Sites

What are the facilities at the family camping area? Will there be food vendors by the beer tent?

Also, how about a food forum? Where are all the great little spots to eat in WV and along those great routes that have been posted? When I'm not riding, I'd like to be eating and drinking

:clap

family camping facilities

The family and quiet camping facility will feature riverside camping with grassy level ground, and you can park your bike next to your tent if you wish. There are playgrounds and jogging/walking trails along the river. Traffic control will be set up by the Charleston Police to insure safe access to the facility. There will be water available, but the showers will be in the Civic Center about 4 blocks away. There is only one permanent restroom facility, so porta potties will be needed.

At the Beer Tent, there will be food and snacks available from the U of C food service as long as the music is going on. About 1/4 mile from the campus is just about every fast food and pizza joint that you would expect nearby a college, many of whom will deliver.

There is a listing of Charleston area restaurants in the charlestonwv.com web site. There are plenty of choices in the Rally area, more than enough restaurants so that the hour plus waits for service that many experienced in Trenton due to the limited number of choices should not be a problem.

As for eating spots along the roads of WV, I guess you'll have to find your own. I find that when riding my bike in West Virginia I'm having so much fun on the great roads that I don't think about stopping to eat.

Camping for Nationals

Question about the camping since the U of C doesn't want bikes on the Lawn, does that mean the folks with the pop-up camper trailers for the bike will have to park the camper in the parking lot?

I can understand the not wanting to tear up the lawn, and the concern for security, but I don't think a lot of people will want to push the camper trailer around the campus.

The more rustic camping, where will the facilities be for that camping location?

Last edited:
RV Parking at the National

RV Parking at Watt Powell Park:

1) Will the Shuttle service come to Watt Powell Park?

2) Will there be any Water, Porta Potties or Toilet Facilities at Watt Powell Park? Will we have access to them?

3) Any specific information on catching Buses to the Civic center and returning to Watt Powell Park?

4) I do not technically have an RV. It is a van followed by a Trailer with 2 bikes on it. Does this fit in the Watt Powell Park or is the park strictly for the "Self contained House" set?

Thanks,

RamS
:) :) :) :) :)

Can I camp Wednesday?

I understood Bob Woofter's July article in Owners News to say I could camp Wed. PM. but that the rally didn't start until Thursday. I'm leaving tonight to head that way. I need to camp tomorrow. HELP!

Back