• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What is the best winter riding pants?

The warmest I have are the BMW Tourgard pants. Mostly because the material is wind proof and most cordura is not. The BMW pants come with extra snaps and zipper pulls in case you ever need them. I haven't so far. They also have comprensive kits of extra hardware for their stuff.

RatSnake said:
How old were they when the fly broke? I've had more than one problem with First Gear zippers, and I don't want the same issues with any new pants I buy.

I have a pair of HT Overpants, too. The fly zipper broke on them this summer, only the secind season I have worn them. If I am very careful, the velcro will keep the rain out. THey are very warm in the colder temps. I have worn them down in the 20's with just blue jeans underneath.

Even with the liner out, they are too warm above 80 degrees.

godzilla said:
I have a pair of HT Overpants, too. The fly zipper broke on them this summer, only the secind season I have worn them. If I am very careful, the velcro will keep the rain out. THey are very warm in the colder temps. I have worn them down in the 20's with just blue jeans underneath.

Even with the liner out, they are too warm above 80 degrees.

My HT pants have held up through two seasons so far; and when it gets cold, I wear them to work every day. That's to work, out to lunch, back from lunch, and then home... so a lot of off and on. No zipper failures, so far.

You're correct about being too hot in the 80's. They are too hot if it's in the 70's and humid, too. For the warmer weather, I have a pair of the HT Air overpants; the vented ones. They are a little shorter/tighter than their cold weather counterparts, but otherwise comfortable in the heat. I wore those all summer.

The only other complaint I have for my HT Overpants is they don't (or didn't) come in Tall size, even though the Kilmanjaro jacket does. So they ride high on my boots. I am 6'4", by the way...

My Cycloak pants lasted about 70,000 miles over 4 years of daily wear in SoCal. In January and Feb, some mornings could be below freezing, but never below zero.

The zipper pulls broke on both sides eventually; I used a spiral keyring to replace each zipper pull -- worked great, and I could grab them with gloves on.

HyperTex Overpants have been working very well for me. I have tested them down to 19F and been happy in them. In terms of zippers, I have no idea how you guys are breaking them, I have not had any problems. :nyah

Back