• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Winter Glove choices.

oldhway

2 Wheeled Troubador
I recently bought a Firstgear Killimanjaro 4.0 and HT Overpants based on advice here on the forum and considerable research. Now I'm looking for a good pair of winter gloves. I have an electric vest allready and really don't want any other electric gear so non heated gloves are what I'm looking for. Since we get a lot of cold rain up here in New England, waterproof would be a good thing as well. I'm very pleased with my Firstgear stuff so I'm looking at their gloves, the Held winter glove, and the gloves from Riders Warehouse. Any thoughts/ideas/experiences would be a great help.

I have a Held Steve gloves, but without being waterproof I also have a pair of Aerostich Triple finger gloves. This can be a pain in the behind at times, so I was looking a simpler solution. Last season I found a "cheap" pair of Tour Master winter gloves, with thinsulate and waterproof. They have held up pretty good for one season so far. For $40.00 I am already happy with the results, I will have to wait and see how they work out for longevity. BTW, I ride daily, so I am pretty hard on my gear. One word about the Held in general: awesome, great fit and finish, hard core glove, but expensive. But you get what you pay for...
I will be sitting in wings wanting to know what others think.... :lurk

Held makes good gloves but I don't feel they're worth the money they want for them. I have some of the Alpinestar Drystar gloves and they seem good, waterproof, warm and only $40. I may be spending the big $$ on some gloves and getting the Rev'it Celcius. Waterproof, warm and something hard to find is they aren't bulky so you have good feel of the controls.

I was in Cliff's this past week comparing winter gloves, and the Revit Celcius and the BMW Winter Gloves seemed to be the ones I liked best.

I've been rolling in @ 40?? weather with Revit Tornado H20s, but recently a friend gave me a pair of broken-in ('99) Gerbings Classics that I just bought a wiring harness for. Total warmth. That's what I'll be using when the temp dips.

The Orina gloves reviewed in that MC Cruiser comparo are pretty interesting and might be worth checking out.

Last edited:
Oldhway said:
I recently bought a Firstgear Killimanjaro 4.0 and HT Overpants based on advice here on the forum and considerable research. Now I'm looking for a good pair of winter gloves. I have an electric vest allready and really don't want any other electric gear so non heated gloves are what I'm looking for. Since we get a lot of cold rain up here in New England, waterproof would be a good thing as well. I'm very pleased with my Firstgear stuff so I'm looking at their gloves, the Held winter glove, and the gloves from Riders Warehouse. Any thoughts/ideas/experiences would be a great help.

Some of the Rounder's are looking for the same thing. Here is a pointer to that thread.

I stumbled across a table full of "on sale" gloves at a local home improvement center (Menards) and walked out with a $8 pair of ski gloves. They are super warm, maybe not tough like some of the regular biker gloves, but I love em. The big thing is that the fingers are flexible, so the hands don't get tired. I've been wearing these things pretty regular the last couple of weeks and they are great.

BMW winter gloves

Gotta go with Shoeman on this one. They have a good feel to me and they have the Goretex liner for rainproofing.

Like dlowry said, I'm all for new technology in apparel.
I've ridden quite a few miles this year with in temperature's well below 35??, and these Rev'it gloves have been great so far.
I have heated grips, and the PCM material really does help distribute the heat from the grips all over your hands, keeping them warm.
Even the tops of my hands were comfortable, and dry after riding 5 hours in a cold rain.

picture2mb5.png

picture3ty8.png

-just my opinion, not responsible if your idea of comfortable is diferent than mine when wearing these gloves.

In colder weather I use the BMW Pro Winter gloves. Goretex lined and a reasonable amount of insulation. Thumbs get cold after a couple hours but that's it. The heated grips help also. In colder conditions I also use a pair of silk glove liners.

Without getting into heated gloves - this combo has worked the best for me.

I have a pair of the BMW Winter Gloves. I like the performance of them, but the quality leaves something to be desired. After about a season and a half of use, the stitching inside one of the fingers started coming apart and I think I have a second one coming apart now.

I've tried everthing from backcountry ski gloves (way to thick) to double layered mittens for cold weather riding. Understand that you don't want another heated-type glove, but I've found that my Gerbings Gauntlets are very comfortable down to the mid-20's without even being plugged in. They offer great clutch/break and switch controls, and the Thinsulate works great. Check them out -- you won't be disappointed. :brow

About a month ago, my Held gloves let me know that they were nowhere near as waterproof as I'd believed. The next day I picked up a pair of TourMaster ColdFront gloves, which have the carbon knuckles like my Helds, but are very thick and insulated and, well, really waterproof. They also have a thumb squeegee, which works better than the windshield wipers on my car (granted, I haven't tried the thumb squeegee on the car yet). I commute about 30 minutes each way with no heated grips or handguards, and my fingertips have gotten a little cold by the time I get to work when the temperatures are in the mid-thirties, but I'm no longer warming my hands on the engine block at stop lights.

My only real gripe is that there is so much insulation that my throttle hand gets a bit of a cramp, and sometimes my thumb can't quite find the turn-signal canceller.

Winter riding gloves

A couple of people have mentioned ski gloves for your consideration.

I have been using snowmobile gloves for a number of years. I like them much beter than ski gloves for motorcycle riding. The snowmobile gloves are very well insulated on the back of the hand and top of the articulated and precurved fingers with a tall gauntlet. The palms of the hands are fairly thin and flexible and would be great with heated grips.(Of course anybody who knows me also knows that I have not advanced to the technological level of electrical system output adequate to support such an extravagance as heated grips. :doh ) They work well for me behind the R 100 RS fairing down to stupid riding conditions temperatures. They are also heavily discounted at the end of the snowmobile season (my favorite pricing scheme). Mine are from Olympia, I have no idea of the model name, but they are bright yellow on top adding to the total conspicuity "look".

Friedle

Back