• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Coffee + Riding = Cup Holder?

griffin738

** newbie **
Cup holder. I'll shoulder in advance that it's probably a whimpy add-on, but I think I want one. Not for water. Not for beer (never for beer if riding). But for coffee. Sometimes I'm nearing a destination and would like to pick up some coffee on the way. But I can't b/c I can't carry it. So I think I want a cup holder, preferably one that I can put on and take off quickly so that I'd install it only when needed. Any suggestions?

griffin738 said:
Cup holder. I'll shoulder in advance that it's probably a whimpy add-on, but I think I want one. Not for water. Not for beer (never for beer if riding). But for coffee. Sometimes I'm nearing a destination and would like to pick up some coffee on the way. But I can't b/c I can't carry it. So I think I want a cup holder, preferably one that I can put on and take off quickly so that I'd install it only when needed. Any suggestions?

I used to have a soft cupholder on a belt, the cupholder also had a small mesh pouch.

I would put the belt around my tankbag when I needed it.

You can find them at wally-world.

Try here they seem to have a pretty good selection. I did a google on "magnetic motorcycle cup holder"

Good Luck,
Jeff

griffin738 said:

You wear a helmet, right? A flip-up helmet hopefully? I'm not sure any flexible tubing will hold up to the temperatures of hot coffee ;)

wmubrown said:
You wear a helmet, right? A flip-up helmet hopefully? I'm not sure any flexible tubing will hold up to the temperatures of hot coffee ;)

It sounded like he was looking for "pick up a cuppa on the way to work" to me. ;)

Coffee holder

On the RT, the radio box is perfect for a cup of coffee and a paper ;) but you will get a funny look now and again when you walk out of 7-11 while wearing helmut and coffee and paper in hand.

KBasa said:
It sounded like he was looking for "pick up a cuppa on the way to work" to me. ;)

True! Hot running coffee while riding could be nice some days, but am actually looking for something to help a cup 'make the trip' home or to work, etc.

I like the magnetic holder / mesh pocket solution. And I suppose that a decent thermos (not glass) would do the trick too.

In part I think that I'm getting bummed that the colder weather is setting in, so it's time to be happy thinking about cool bike toys, if not cool bike rides. . .

The_Veg said:
Just get an LT- they have their own built-in crapuccino machine so you don't have to stop. :laugh

Actually, there's a quite nice factory built cup holder available for the LT. It clamps onto one of the bar arms.

True.

Cup holder - not needed. I have an insulated mug that was acquired from Starbucks that is absolutely leak proof unless you over fill it. I demonstrate it's ability to keep all of the liquid in by holding it upside down over somebody's computer. Never destroyed one yet. Not even a drop.

I take a mug of coffee to work with me from home everyday. It actually fits quite nicely in the glove box of my RT although I usually have it in the thermos portion of my lunch box in my top case. :coffee

KBasa said:
Ahhhh... here in Michigan it would be a coffsickle by the time he got a block down the road... ;)

cup holder

I have had one on my rt for two years, all ram mount stuff works great. I put about 3/4 cup in there and just flip up my helmet and sip. the coffee never spills becuase the holder pivots, if the bike leans left the pivot leans left.Plus it gets the most incredible comments. Get one you will love it.

you need the cup holder(these are all "ram mounts"), one two inch pivot arm and a handle bars clamp or you can do it with a brake fluid resivior replacement cover but the XM is using that one.

Tony

griffin738 said:
Cup holder...for coffee...Any suggestions?
Remember the Venturi effect. You'll have coffee droplets all over the place when you get up to any speed. The alternative will have to be like a hospital setup - a straw or tubes.

Get real. You're riding a motorcycle. Let the SUV drivers drink coffee while operating a motor vehicle.

Fred

Just what I need. Not only will I have to put up with car drivers that for some inexplicable reason just need to have a coffee while driving, now it'll be motorcyclists as well.

I wish they'd stop trying to impress me with their multi-tasking skills and just get the eff out of my way on the road.

Try one of them suckers kids suck on. That way you can keep both hands on the handlebar or steering wheel.

End of rant.

no real interest in drinking (or other non-riding verb) while actually riding. really just looking for a way to move a 'spillable' item from point A to B without difficulty.

but i do appreciate a good rant!! :lurk

I use a 2x2 cardboard cup holder in the bottom of my left side bag. The cup snaps firmly into place in one of the drink pockets, and the cardboard holder (FREE with purchase!!) is only slightly compressed by the lid into the back of the case.

Panera Bread Co. is about 1.5 miles from work. I usually sip of about 1" from the full cup while enjoying a breakfast bagel. No spillage inside the case - and no wind siphoning problems either.

$0.02

Canadian Rant

[hijack]

griffin738 said:
but i do appreciate a good rant!! :lurk

If you have never seen the Molson's Canadian rant, you might enjoy it.
http://www.videoclipstream.com/akamai/therant/rant.html
The irony was in the polite Canadian "thank you" at the end. The irony now is that since the ad, Coors bought out Molsons, so now you have Tim Hortons, Laura Secord and (shudder, tell me it isn't true) are trying to take over The Hudson's Bay Company

Holly
[/hijack]

I like the RAM Mounts for such add-ons due to the versatility. If you scroll down at the link you can see their basic handlebar mount. The various plates and other things that can be attached will handle about anything.

I use one for the drink holder on the SE. For some reason I cannot upload a photo this morning, but I'll drop you a picture via e-mail. If I can locate the drink holder attachment online I'll come back and add it to my post.

Maybe this will work.

I guess not. The photo wouldn't upload and the link wouldn't work, either...

:banghead

Last edited:
Cup Holder

I have one on my LT. I wasn't too happy at paying $100 or so dollars for a plastic thing that attatches to my handle bars but I got too tell you I love it. Use it all the time for coffee and water.

Back