• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Leather or vinyl Rick Mayer seat

H

Harrington

I can't make up my mind over which seat to get. Leather seems good but it may be more maintenance than I want.

Oops..I screwed up. I wanted to add a poll but I hit submit first.

Options

All Leather
All vinyl
Leather top with vinyl sides.

I have leather, I like leather, I care for my leather Bill Mayer saddle, but I wear textile clothing and can't tell that I have a leather seat.

If you ride with leather pants, blue jeans or cotton pants, you will notice leather. If you ride ATGATT, you may not ever feel the difference. JMHO

I have no problem with it getting wet and it cleans up nicely.

HTH

Doc

I have a vinyl Rick Mayer saddle and have had leather in the past. I can't tell the difference from a comfort standpoint.

We struggled with this question too. I went with the vinyl basket weave so that it still has breathability. (is that a word???)

Love it!

I've owned two of Rick's saddles (2 different bikes) - both leather. I've also used Corbin & Sargent vinyl covered saddles.

I love leather - until it gets wet. Once it's wet it is miserable.

On my RT it never gets wet while the bike is moving - it only happens if I leave the bike standing in the rain with the saddle uncovered.

I clean it 3 - 4 times a year with saddle soap followed by a generous coat of mink oil. I use a blow dryer to warm the leather & melt the mink oil.

My next saddle will probably be vinyl basket weave with minimal seams - maybe a Bill Mayer.

alien_hitchhiker said:
I clean it 3 - 4 times a year with saddle soap followed by a generous coat of mink oil. I use a blow dryer to warm the leather & melt the mink oil.

Going back to my riding days (horse, that is...) here's a trick I used for cleaning and oiling my tack. Pour a little oil (or even Lexol) in a dish and microwave for 30 seconds. Your leather will love you!

Tracy

Wet weather isn't the only kind to think about. If your seat gets a lot of sun-exposure (as in parked in direct hot sun for long periods) leather might not be as good a choice. I have a vinyl Rick Mayer and I have no regrets about choosing the vinyl.

The love of money

I love my RM saddle. For the money vinyl is the way to go. No worries mate. Just the seat of comfort.

I just finished a 3500 mile ride on a new (to me) GS that has a new Sargent seat. It ain't no Mayer or Russell ( which I have on my RT). Ouch.A new seat from Russell or the Mayers is top priority.

seat

I thing of buying a rick seat is that good of a seat or should I be looking else where for the seat

leather will breath and is way better. Vinyl will cause hotspots and discomfort.
I rode across Washington in 111 degree heat on vinyl LT seats. I got an Alaska leather sheepskin ordered when I returned. Sheepskin covers look like ****, but definetely needed for a vinyl seat.
Leather is the only way to go..!!

Hbar
IBA
BMWMOA

Back