• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R75/5 Wheelbase

bluehole

I am not as familiar with airheads as I should be. I understand there is a short and long wheelbase on the 75/5. What is the deal? Is one more desireable than the other? How can one tell the short from the long wheelbase? Is it visually obvious? Huge learning curve ahead of me.

Didn't the switch happen in the mid 1973 year models? Fiche info shows the part number for the swingarm changed after 2/1973.

Short wheelbase - due to "short" driveshaft tube; it also has the smallish battery.

Long wheelbase - you should see about a 2-3" plug welded into the driveshaft tube; with the added space, the battery could be bigger.

I think the biggest difference is in terms of handling. The short wheelbase can be more "flickable" but some have indicated they might be unstable at high speed. I think the instability is more a function of proper set up (bearings, shocks, tire pressure, cargo loads, etc.).

Matt Parkhouse has been doing articles recently in the MOA News about his experiences with various /5s that he owns or has resurrected. His first bike, that he still owns, was a SWB but if I read correctly in his recent article, he grafted a LWB swingarm on at some point.

Kurt in S.A.

Last edited:
I think up 'til 74 the LWB conversions were obvious. A 2" welded tube added to the driveshaft tube, where it meets the rear. After a while, it was just one solid piece the same length, but with no visible weld.

So, the quickest way to check if you're not sure is to look at the driveshaft tube. If it does a quick taper close to the end, it's a SWB. If there is a taper then a 2" section that is not tapered, it's a LWB (whether it's welded or not).

Hope this makes sense.

20774 said:
Didn't the switch happen in the mid 1973 year models? Fiche info shows the part number for the swingarm changed after 2/1973..
I own an original R75/5 purchased from the original owner in 1989. It is a LWB, with a date stamp on the steering head I.D. plate of 11/72.

woodnsteel said:
I own an original R75/5 purchased from the original owner in 1989. It is a LWB, with a date stamp on the steering head I.D. plate of 11/72.
I'm guessing it means that the SWB part was no longer available after 2/73. It's quite possible that the LWB parts became available earlier and the two parts were used on the assembly line until the SWB parts were gone.

Kurt in S.A.

20774 said:
I'm guessing it means that the SWB part was no longer available after 2/73. It's quite possible that the LWB parts became available earlier and the two parts were used on the assembly line until the SWB parts were gone.

Kurt in S.A.

It doesn't reflect the availability of parts on the fiche. There is sometimes a code referring to the obsolesence though. The fiche thinks that the wheelbase (part) was changed in 2/73.
Many SWB bikes were made into LWB bikes after when the parts became available and was a pretty simple update. Not saying that is true for woodinsteel's but it was pretty common.

Back