• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GPS & MS Maps and Streets

nugentch

I have been trying to connect my BMW Navigator III to my computer to download routes from Microsoft Streets and Maps. The program tells me that there is no GPS configured. I am using a USB cable to connect to the computer. This is the latest Garmin GPS so I am guessing that it is possible to connect to Streets and Maps. Anyone ever done this and can shed some light? I would appreciate it! With what that GPS costs I would thing it should also do routine maintenance and wash dishes!

Actually one can not transfer maps or routes from Microsoft Streets and Trips to a Garmin. And only some Garmins will communicate with Streets and Trips, the purpose of this feature is to allow the map to scroll as you go; or to find nearby places. There are some utilities out there that do the translation, but at the moment I can not find them, however some other tools you might find helpful are

http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/gpsbabel/
http://chris.pirillo.com/2005/01/14/streets-trips/

What works for me is to just redraw the route in MapSource or to use Delorme Street Atlas which talks with a GPS better in my humble opinion.

If the interface cable connecting to the Garmin is not a USB cable and you had to get a USB adapter you need to download the rs232 to usb adapter file first. We have a Garmin Legend and that was the key to getting the Garmin to talk to the PC.

The Garmin came with a rs232 style cable, similar to the plug you would see on the back of the sound card and has 9 pins. There is an adeapter cable that changes the rs232 to a USB style that you can plug into the computer. Unfortunately even in win XP the cable adapter is not recognized until you get the subprogram to allow the pc to "see" the cable and GPS.

Sounds like a job for GPS Utility.

Google it up as I don't have a link handy.

HTH,

Best,

Rob Nye

Great tip

Just got the 2007 version of Streets and Trips. It is an amazing piece of software and under $25. Glad to know I can communicate with my Garmin Navigator. :dance

Great Tip

BradfordBenn said:
What works for me is to just redraw the route in MapSource or to use Delorme Street Atlas which talks with a GPS better in my humble opinion.

So Delorme works with the NavIII? I'm using Delorme with my Treo but I want a bigger screen and more function.

I do not have a Nav III, but I was able to get DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2006 to communicate and work with my GPS V and my 2610. I have both versions, the handheld and the desktop, I have not tried the handheld software with the GPS's.

Back