• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Trouble installing front shock on 1150RTp

DJSTEPHENS

Dashpush
Hello All,
IÔÇÖm in the middle of installing a set of new ohlins on my R1150RT-P. IÔÇÖve just run into a bit of trouble on the front shock. Do the regular RT's have this weird little cross support ? IÔÇÖm concerned that it might only exist on my RT-P and that IÔÇÖll have to remove it to install the front shock. Not looking like fun. Darn

Attachments

• shocks1.jpg
    shocks1.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 127
Has anyone else ran across this before? I'm about to start stripping down the subframe for the crashbars, but wanted to check incase anyone had another time saving measure.
Thanks
DJStephens

Attachments

• shock5.jpg
    shock5.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 127
I used to feel good about turning my own wrenches, but this little project is getting to me. It took less than 45minutes to do the rear shock. I've been fooling around with the front for over a day. :dunno

Last edited:
Dj, that's some kind serious of crash protection, must be unique to the RT-P. Is the problem getting the rotation out of the shock body to remove it with the forks and telelever fully extended?

I'm thinking that you may have to remove the bolts at the top of the fork tubes and let everything hang lower. Or,

Another old time shock trick is to compress the shock spring all the way then tie it closed (with string or zip-ties) makes the whole shock body several inches shorter for install/removal.

I don't see any clearence problems though, so you'll just have to figure out, out with the old in with the new.

Good luck

Keep us posted on the outcome.

Doc

Djstephens said:
Hello All,
IÔÇÖm in the middle of installing a set of new ohlins on my R1150RT-P. IÔÇÖve just run into a bit of trouble on the front shock. Do the regular RT's have this weird little cross support ? IÔÇÖm concerned that it might only exist on my RT-P and that IÔÇÖll have to remove it to install the front shock. Not looking like fun. Darn
Get the rear end back together so it can sit on it. Jack the bike up in the center so the front wheel is about 4-5 inches off the ground. Support the front wheel with a strap or another jack. Loose the lower bolt on the front end and lower it down all the way and you should be able to slide it out the front. It is tight and you have to cant it a little but it worked for me.

Two keys to remember support that front wheel or it will drop and could damage the pivot point and have some plan for picking it back up to install it. with a small floor jack it is a solo job. With out some way to raise it it is a two person job and one of you better be pretty strong.

Hope that helps...

Koop

SFDOC said:
Dj, that's some kind serious of crash protection, must be unique to the RT-P.
I'm thinking that you may have to remove the bolts at the top of the fork tubes and let everything hang lower. Or,
Another old time shock trick is to compress the shock spring all the way then tie it closed (with string or zip-ties) makes the whole shock body several inches shorter for install/removal.
Doc
upon closer inspection, it seems that the crash bar sub frame is not allowing the lower part of the shock support to drop as far as it should.

Ok, this helps a lot. Didn't realize I could compress this spring. I've got a 'make do' spring compression devise that I use on cars sometimes. Maybe I can make some forward process with this. Will zip-ties really hold this? Thanks for the great ideas guys. I'm off to scrape some skin off the knuckles! :boldpurpl

Last edited:
Made progress

Thanks for your help Doc and Koop. Based on advice from you guys, I decided that the subframe needed to come apart. After romoving the mounting bolts in the photo, I had just enough room to get teh old shock out.

Attachments

• shock7.jpg
    shock7.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 107
This is the bolt that allowed me to lower the bottom part of the sub frame, and give the clearance needed to lower the lower A-arm of the shock. Also had to loosen the exhaust primary pipe to get clearance to lower the sub frame enough to get the new shock in. :clap
Wow this was a much bigger job than anticipated. :type

Attachments

• shock11.jpg
    shock11.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 106
Don't know where I found this, but it really helped for removing the subframe if anyone else out there has an RT-P

Attachments

• Shock12.jpg
    Shock12.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 106
Here it is with the sub frame back together, not a lot of clearance though. I was able to fit a 6mm hex all the way around. Is 6mm enough?

Attachments

• shock8.jpg
    shock8.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Djstephens said:
Thanks for your help Doc and Koop! :clap
You will love the new shocks. Take time to dial them in. It took me 3 days on Deals gap to get them just right.

OK... I was more than happy to spend 3 days on the Gap!!!

Koop

Back