• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rt 2 to Spokane

Alzada tales

Grant - I ended up with two combines and two weeks on my hands in Alzada 25 years ago. No kidding, it wasn't unusual to see horses tied up at the bars in the evenings. There were two bars, one on each end of town, about a half mile apart. We travelled all over the local geography looking for something to cut. Wheat, flax, barley, oats in little 50 to 200 acre patches out in the middle of nowhere. Drove 212 to South Dakota and the nearest grain elevator. In those days, locals proudly displayed a bumper sticker that read "I survived 212". The road south to Devils Tower was dirt at the time, went right by a Bentonite Mine, a greasy white clay like dirt that's used for keeping Hershey bars together. Made the roads real interesting when it rained.

Watch out for the cattle/sheep dogs. If you see one sitting in the road, stop and wait. There will be a herd of something coming over the rise in a little while.

Re: Alzada tales

GregInBoulder said:
.... locals proudly displayed a bumper sticker that read "I survived 212". The road south to Devils Tower was dirt at the time, went right by a Bentonite Mine, a greasy white clay like dirt that's used for keeping Hershey bars together. Made the roads real interesting when it rained.

Hmmmm........sounds like I might want to come up with a new plan. According to my map the route south is now paved but that Bentonite stuff sounds like it might make those roads a little hairy anyway. Thanks for the warning!

Grant
Rochester, NY

Grant, rereading my post it sounded more negative than I meant it to. That corner of Montana is actually pretty nice and is probably a lot less wild now than it was back then. For all I know the mine might have closed. Not sure how to find that out unless you just go check and that's part of the fun of being on the road. I do know there's a boat load of HD riders going east that drive 212 to Sturgis. We probably hauled 10 of em in two weeks to Belle Fouche after they broke down :)

212 in Montana

GregInBoulder said:
.... there's a boat load of HD riders going east that drive 212 to Sturgis...

Ok Greg...Now I've got to take 212! I can't let myself be intimidated by a road that Harley riders can handle. :thumb Unless someone has a better suggestion. It still seems like the best bet on my map.

Grant
Rochester, NY

Could someone comment on Rt 2 west of Spokane? I'm planning a loop that would include that stretch either coming or going from central California.

Re: Hwy 2o Northern Cascades

CABNFVR said:
Don't let the negatives stop you. WE thought looking back from North Dakota to check our porch light was kind of neat. We live in NC. Grand Coulee Dam laser light show is worth a stopover. We stayed at a motel an easy walk from the nightime show. Worth it just to see the water over the dam. But here's where you need to go. Take an extra day or two. You will not regret it. The Northern Cascade's are worth the trip. Wish we had the vacation.
s-ncascades12.jpg

North Cascades HWY is an excellent ride BUT it has been closed lately due to some serious slides in the last month or so. In fact, there are some locals up there who were trapped in their town with no roads. Not sure how this will affect things in July but I imagine it will cause some road construction delays. An alternate is HWY w which is pretty nice as well.

grant said:
I plan on riding to Spokane for the Rally from upstate NY. It looks like it might be nice to pick up Rt 2 in Michigan's upper pininsula and follow it all the the way there. Has anyone else tried this route in the past? I'd appreciate any advice such as good places to eat or sleep, places to avoid, sights not to miss, etc.

By the way...I've read a lot of negative comments about the Charleston rally but you can count me among the people who had a wonderful time there. Many thanks to all the organizers!

grant

There is beauty everywhere if you will just slow down enough to look around. I can't believe anyone would go through Duluth without spending a little time along Lake Superior.

RTe.2 to Spokane from the eastern US

I have riden from Ohio to the west coast on rte 2 3 or 4 times & much prefer it to the slab when I am not in a hurry. I would also recomend taking the car ferry across Lake Mich. It runs from Ludington Mich. to Manitowoc Wisc. 7 takes about 4 hrs. Private state rooms are availible & there is a bar & rest. on board & it allows you to avoid Chicago. Res. are rec. but I have never needed one(always room for 1 more m/c) www.ssbadger.com for res & info RSD

Re: Re: Rt 2 to Spokane

Sid said:
I can't believe anyone would go through Duluth without spending a little time along Lake Superior.

I agree Sid. I grew up on the shores of Lake Ontario and have spent alot of time exploring the roads around it as well as Lake Huron and Michigan, all beautiful country. I've wanted to ride Rt. 61 on the north shore of Superior for some time now. Unfortunately I can't take the extra time on this trip. :cry Maybe next year!!

Grant
Rochester, NY (Lake effect snow country!)

Routes to the rally

If you are looking for any alternative rides check out the thread "Going to the rally? Try this ride!!"

Re: Routes to the rally

tim said:
If you are looking for any alternative rides check out the thread "Going to the rally? Try this ride!!"

Thanks Tim! I've already checked that out. The route you suggested sounds great and I could probably deal with some unpaved roads on my 1150RS but I know my riding partner won't have anything to do with it. He'll be on a Triumph Sprint ST (I told him he could come anyway :p ). We plan on hitting Glacier Nat'l Park and Lolo Pass before we get to Spokane then hopefully take a few short rides durring the rally. Maybe you can give us some good pointers there. BTW, did you check out Scott Conary's web site. He responed to your post on that thread. Follow the link he inserted then click on "Enough: a beartooth, some breasts, and a boob". A great story with lots a nice photos.

Grant
Rochester, NY

Last edited:
Re: Re: Routes to the rally

grant said:
Thanks Tim! I've already checked that out. The route you suggested sounds great and I could probably deal with some unpaved roads on my 1150RS but I know my riding partner won't have anything to do with it. He'll be on a Triumph Sprint ST (I told him he could come anyway :p ). We plan on hitting Glacier Nat'l Park and Lolo Pass before we get to Spokane then hopefully take a few short rides durring the rally. Maybe you can give us some good pointers there. BTW, did you check out Scott Conary's web site. He responed to your post on that thread. Follow the link he inserted then click on "Enough: a beartooth, some breasts, and a boob". A great story with lots a nice photos.

Grant
Rochester, NY

Hey, thanks for the tip. It was a real pleasure to read Scott's article. Living here in the Northwest all my life (except for four years in misery, I mean, Missouri, I think I take our area for granted. Thanks Scott for writing the story and sharing it with us.

Re: Re: Routes to the rally

grant said:
The route you suggested sounds great..... but I know my riding partner won't have anything to do with it. He'll be on a Triumph Sprint ST (I told him he could come anyway :p ).
Grant
Rochester, NY

Pussy!:cry

Attachments

• red+rock.jpg
    red+rock.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 172
In need of fellow rider

Hello,

I am F 650 series rider start'n from northern michigan and taking rt#2 to the rally. I have a pretty good plan of places off the beatn path to camp (good book of free camp spots) and a couple I have used on my way back from Alaska ... But a good run from Mich to Wash anyone interested I would leave on the 9-10th of July and get to Spokane on the 14th:)))) So looking forward to the Ride and Rally;)

Drop me a line @ Chas1969@hotmail.com

Thanks

Charlie C

Rally Route

I see alot of you are coming from the central and eastern part of the United States. I've also seen a couple great plugs for South Dakota and the riding out in the Black Hills of Western South Dakota. SO, I just wanted to inform you that the Black Hills BMW Stampede is going to be held July 9-11. It will be a great stop to the MOA National in Spokane. I also heard that there was going to be an appearance of the Teradactle Riders. I've heard those guys can ride, and they will be leading a ride to Spokane WA. Please ck out our internet site:

www.blackhillsbmw.com

Hope to see you there! I will have the beer waiting!:drink :burnout

I've got a question for you guys in SD. On the way back east we plan on a quick stop in Sturgis and then spending the night at the Super 8 in Huron, SD. Our problem is trying to figure out the best (not the most direct :D) way from Sturgis to Huron. We're thinking about droping south on 385 then picking up 44 to Rapid City. Should we stay on 44 through Badlands Nat'l Park? Maybe we should pick up I90 and take Rt 240 through the Badlands. Then again, what is Rt 34 like east of Sturgis? :dunno Maybe you could give me some advice on roads not to be missed along the way. I'm sure you have some favorites and any advice would be a great help!

Thanks in advance.

Grant
Rochester, NY

Last edited:
RE: Question for SD Buffalo Roast

I would advise you to take both....44 goes through the badlands and you can hook up with the Pierre turn off and go up to Pierre and then take 34 to Huron. If you choose one or the other I would have to say the Badlands, unless you would like to see the state capital and the Oahe dam...which is pretty cool in itself. If you need or have any other question let us know!

Thanks for the info! Thought it might be fun to check out Spearfish but I can't find it on my map! See you in Spokane

Grant
Rochester, NY

Back