• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rt 2 to Spokane

Hi all,

I was surprised to read that Rt. 2 through Montana has little scenic value - it is labelled a 'scenic route' on my atlas! Does anyone have any opinions/experience with Rt. 12 across Montana?

How about Rt. 12 vs. Rt. 200?

- boxergrrlie

PS - You're right Cliffy - Rt. 2 between Escanaba and Mackinac I. is nice. I plan to drive it this summer as a preface to exploring your fine state's northwest coast sometime this summer.

new idea

boxergrrlie said:
I was surprised to read that Rt. 2 through Montana has little scenic value - it is labelled a 'scenic route' on my atlas!

It's labelled scenic on my atlas too! So how's this for a plan? I follow Rt. 200 across Minn. and N. Dakota then head north at the Montana border to take Rt. 2 out to Glacier Nat'l. Park. I have no idea what to expect out there :dunno so any advice/opinion is welcome.

Grant
Rochester, NY

"Little scenic value?" Well, if you live in the Western part of MT, the whole Eastern Plains seem a little flat. I know folks from the far Eastern part of MT who feel the Western Mountain area of MT is a little hemmed in by those hulking mountains. I guess it depends on what you like. The maps are right.

I have ridden Rt 2 from the MI upper penninsula to Montana several times now, but not since Redmond rally. It has one pretty much unmentioned benefit: you can go pretty darn fast. Just slow down for the towns - they value their children. The towns are about 25 miles apart, but in between, I've kept up with some of the locals at about 95 (true) mph cruise.

You can use the time saved to take some roads down to and through Wyoming, like the Chief Joseph Hwy and the Beartooth pass. Gotta be sly to get through Yellowstone, which in summer is essentially a monkey cage guarded by bears. Then the ride becomes beautiful down to Jackson Hole and take the steep pass into Idaho - I recall it ends up in Idaho Falls. From there, you can wind your way up to Missoula for the ride on the Lolo pass, or take a pretty bleak desert road through Arco, Craters of the Moon, and then find your way along the beautiful Snake River past Ketchum (Sun Valley) up to the Coer d' Alene region, and Spokane.

There are enough permutations to make every ride that way a new adventure.

Jim

I drove my sidecar outfit from Port Angeles WA to Trenton a couple of years ago, and rode both US2 and 200, plus a few connectors. I rode 2 across the UP to Sault Ste Marie, then to Sudbury and sort of cross country to Trenton. So, IMHO:

US 2 is very interesting across upper Michigan and Wisconsin, somewhat less interesting across Minnesota, and really boring across North Dakota. 2 across ND is choked with heavy truck traffic, the pavement is beat into serious ruts, and the scenery is not much different from I-94. Both 2 and I-94 are four lane highways, but I-94 is much wider and gets a lot more maintenance. 200 across ND is confusing, because it dodges north and south a lot, but if you have the time, that could be an interesting route.

The truck traffic continues west across Montana on 2, so the scenery gets more open, but it's still a frustrating truck tango.

OK, back to NY. You could ride north into Canada, anc cross back at Sault Ste Marie, ride the UP west to Duluth, (and visit Aerostich.) Duluth is a scenic city worth exploring.

Or, you can head for Chicago, turn the corner, and head northwest via 90 or 94. Very busy traffic anywhere near Chi-town.

My suggestion would be to make a "transit" toward the rocky mountains via either 90 or 94, then pick up 200 across Montana to Helena. At that point you're near the big mountains, and can head north to Glacier Park, or continue to Spokane on I-90 or any state highways that look appealing.

If you want some destinations, I'd suggest:
Theodore Roosevelt Nat. Park, North Dakota
Mt Rushmore, South Dakota
Yellowstone National Park
Glacier National Park (Logan Pass)

Assuming you do Glacier, I'd suggest US 2 west from Kalispell, then dodging south on 56 to 200, via Sandpoint and south to I-90 then west to Spokane.

If you do Mt. Rushmore, I'd suggest heading west on I-90 to Sheridan, then west on 14 (or 16) through Wyoming to Cody and Yellowstone Park. VERY steep mountains here and there. Stop for several hours at the art museum in Cody. After Yellowstone, head north via either I-15 or 28 to Missoula, and over the pass on I-90 to Spokane. Or, spend a couple of days riding Idaho, say 20 to Arco, Picabo, and 75 via Stanley to Salmon, then Missoula. Or inquire about other backroads such as (may be dirt) 21 Stanley to Horseshoe Bend, and north on 55 to Lewiston and north to Spokane. We're talking MOUNTAIN country here.

The country south of Spokane is rolling hills, but the northeast corner of Oregon is very rugged. For you GS types, consider visiting Hells Canyon via Cuprum, then riding north via forest service roads to Joseph, and north again on 3 from Enterprise.

For those who have never traveled in Idaho, Oregon, or Washington, this is really great motorcycling country, with lots of excellent paved roads twisting through the country, and spectacular sights such as Grand Coulee Dam, Hells Canyon, the Sawtooth Mountains, etc. I highly recommend that you budget several days to look around before or after the rally. I can make suggestions.

pmdave

Here's a shot of US200 across Montana. Crank up the wick and go. Just remember to gas up at every opportunity.

pmdave

Attachments

• us 200 in mt 01.jpg
    us 200 in mt 01.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 282
Too bad about Rt 2

Sorry to hear 2 and 200 are rutted. They used to be FAST.:bliss

Add Devils Tower to the list of to see places above, and be sure to ride the Beartooth from Red Lodge to Yellowstone.

I think a lot depends on weather: If it's hot - and it can be, you will probably want to be as far north as you can. If not, you can benefit from lots of interesting routes and sights further south.

Surely, it much depends on what you want to see, and what time you have. You can blow across the USA in three days if you must, and have a fun ride (but maybe not see much). Getting to the Rally in Spokane is the prime goal. But, if you have a week or so, you can make it into one of the great memorable rides of a lifetime. Of course, you will spend the rest of your life wanting to do it again :clap

I know one couple who trailer their two bikes to Missoula, and ride from there. Sure, they miss a lot, but she has a fluffy butt, and can't enjoy the distances. They still attained the prime directive: get to the Rally (Redmond, in the last case).

For Redmond, I took five weeks. I'd do it again, in a minute. Rode it alone (the optimum riding group is one :) ) I'm hoping for a reprise in 2004. In general, my route was Hinckley to the UP, across 2, down to Rushmore, Devils Tower, the Chief Joseph, the Beartooth Pass, Yellowstone, Tetons, Jackson Hole, Idaho Falls, Arco, Ketchum and Sun Valley, Missoula (for tires), Lolo Pass, the back way into Bend, Redmond, Crater Lake, Coos Bay, the coast highway, Olympic Penninsula, Port Angeles, Port Townsend, Seattle, Victoria, Port Hardy, Nanaimo, Port Alberni, Tofino, Vancouver, Canadian Rockies, Banff, Calgary, Regina, Winnepeg, Thunder Bay, Saulte Ste. Marie, Ann Arbor, Hinckley - just me and the (then new) GS. One of the best parts of the ride was BC99 from the Vancouver Ferry through the old mining towns of BC.

By the way... You might want to hang in there for the Closing Ceremonies at Spokane. It's true; the same guy is doing the production, but a new guy is doing the sound. Details will follow, as I think them up. Prepare to be entertained as well as awarded.

Merry Christmas, riders,

Jim Shaw
Ann Arbor, MI and Hinckley, OH USA
R1150GS

Last edited:
Re: Too bad about Rt 2

Jim Shaw said:
By the way... You might want to hang in there for the Closing Ceremonies at Spokane. It's true; the same guy is doing the production, but a new guy is doing the sound.

:thumb

Your closing ceremonies, delivered in 60 minutes or less.

Hwy 2o Northern Cascades

Don't let the negatives stop you. WE thought looking back from North Dakota to check our porch light was kind of neat. We live in NC. Grand Coulee Dam laser light show is worth a stopover. We stayed at a motel an easy walk from the nightime show. Worth it just to see the water over the dam. But here's where you need to go. Take an extra day or two. You will not regret it. The Northern Cascade's are worth the trip. Wish we had the vacation.
s-ncascades12.jpg

Wow.

CABNFVR, your pic is incredible. If you're not on the board of tourism or visitor's bureau, you should be.

I plan on riding that route and hitting Glacier National Park and have also been told to hit Rider's Wearhouse.

Unregistered said:
I plan on riding that route and hitting Glacier National Park and have also been told to hit Rider's Wearhouse.

I don't know where you're starting from but let me make a suggestion for anyone coming from upstate NY or even New England. A big obstacle heading west from here is lake Michigan. If you go around the south end you have to deal with traffic in Chicago. Head north and you have to ride across the Makinac bridge. (I know, thousands of bikes cross that bridge every year but I got white knuckles driving my car over that thing!):uhoh

If you can, enter Canada near Niagara Falls then head North from Hamilton. Take the ferry across the mouth of Georgian Bay in Lake Huron. It leaves at 7:00 AM from Tobermory at the tip of Bruce Peninsula. It's about an hour and a half ride and a good breakfast can be had in the Cafeteria on board. After the ferry ride, you'll be rewarded with a beautiful ride on Rt. 6 across Manitoulin Island. Once back on the mainland, start heading west on 17, another scenic route along the North Channel. It may not be the most direct route but it's a pretty ride. I went that way 3 years ago and can't wait to do it again. Cross back into the US in Sault Ste. Marie, pick up Rt. 28 in the UP of Mich. and follow it to Rte. 2...Then just keep heading west!! Or, as Josh suggested, stay in Canada to cross the continent.

If this sounds interesting to you, be aware that Tobermory is a small town and often times gets booked up in the summer. I've aready made reservations at the Harbourside Motel for Friday, July 9th. That way I'll be ready to line up Saturday AM and have 5 days to hit Glacier and Lolo pass on my way to Spokane. The ferry also takes reservations and there are only so many Motorcycle spots...complete with rope and brackets on the floor to tie your bike down just in case. Maybe I'll see you in line!

JIM....Thanks for the advice, I'm hoping to hit Devil's Tower on the way home.

Grant
Rochester, NY

Last edited:
Re: SS BADGER ACROSS LAKE MICHIGAN

SlashFiveTourer said:
If you're heading from anywhere East, don't forget about the ferry operating across Lake Michigan between LUDINGTON, Michigan and MANITOWOC, Wisconsin....

....gotta make the pilgrimage to The Tower at least once in your life. Been there a couple of times and I keep hearing the movie theme rattling through my helmet 'til well after I leave the place!

I've looked into that ferry also. The only problem for me was the timing. It's a long trip and would eat up a good portion of the day. Someday, I hope to ride out that way then take the ferry in the evening and wake up in Wisconsin. From Rochester, that's probably a trip I'll take on my way to a race at Road America (another thing on my to do list!).

As for Devils Tower.....Please tell me they don't have loud speakers around there pumping out that movie theme!!

:rolleyes :rolleyes

Grant
Rochester

Last edited:
Unregistered said:

I've been keeping notes from this thread on routes and attractions, and the list is already too long (just added Devil's Tower), but what/where is Rider's Wearhouse?

Rider's Wear House

Located in Duluth.

Timing and planning are everything on a ride west. I live on the Illinois/Indiana state line so after work I head west, try and make Des Moines by 9 or 10. Then leave the next morning at 4 or shortly after to beat the heat. You can make Sturgis easy the next evening. Whispering Pines camp ground is BMW friendly and very inexpensive. Mount Rushmore, do it at night, good light show and the ride back in the mountains is ride you'll never forget. Lead, Sturgis BMW, Sturgis getting ready for Sturgis and Needles highway are very good. I'd se aside a day and two nights. The scenic route to Devil's Tower is WY 24 thru Hulett. Bikers will be arriving in Hulett by the time Nationals are over. Super slab up to Sheridan where civilization ends. Cross over to Cody by way of Granite pass, time to watch out for varmits.

BMWRT will be having their Unrally in Cody. You can check out www.bmwrt.com for details. There will be nothing short of great roads until you leave the Rockies headed home. National Parks, save some money and get a season pass. Cody to Spokane is a good days ride. If you can work Lolo Pass in, do it. I started Lolo pass from west to east at Kooskia. The front tire on my RT was just starting to touch the tread wear indicator. Perfect traction, about 70 miles later I stopped in Moose Drool, Montana for a coke and looked at my front tire, it was bald! The roads are much more abrasive out there. Fortunately Big Sky BMW at Missoula was open on a Monday and I got a new tire.

Me, I'm headed to the best rally in the world first Top of the Rockies, carve all the Canyons in Colorado, then spend the next three daze finding every curve and pass to Spokane. Leave Sunday morning depending on work either take a day or two to get to Rabid City, SD. Then do an Iron Butt crossing the prairie.

Plan everything for a perfect ride and the weather can force some serious changes. JON

boxergrrlie said:
I've been keeping notes from this thread on routes and attractions, and the list is already too long (just added Devil's Tower), but what/where is Rider's Wearhouse?

It's where Aerostichs, the uniform of the BMW rider, come from.

Aerostich.jpeg

Thanks, Timberwoof

Devil's Tower camping

If you camp, there is a small campground run by the National Park there. Check here for information: http://classic.mountainzone.com/nationalparks/deto/

There is nothing quite like crawling out in the early morning, and facing Devil's Tower from there.

The Tower is an easy walk around, and you can do a little climbing if you like.

Jim

The Tower is a great place to go. When I lived in rapid City, we would drive out there with a telescope and watch climbers. A destination well worth stopping by.

As long as we're on the subject...

I was thinking on the return trip I would take I90 all the way to the Little Bighorn battlefield then pick up rt. 212, follow it east through Custer Nat'l. Forest to Alzada, then head south on rt 112 and approach Devils Tower from the North. Has anyone else had any experience on these roads? Once again, any input (positive or negative) will be appreciated

Grant

Back