• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Rt 2 to Spokane

Grant63rt

Grant
I plan on riding to Spokane for the Rally from upstate NY. It looks like it might be nice to pick up Rt 2 in Michigan's upper pininsula and follow it all the the way there. Has anyone else tried this route in the past? I'd appreciate any advice such as good places to eat or sleep, places to avoid, sights not to miss, etc.

By the way...I've read a lot of negative comments about the Charleston rally but you can count me among the people who had a wonderful time there. Many thanks to all the organizers!

grant

Rte.2

Rode it to Missoula with some buds a few years ago. We had a great ride. Don't miss Riders Warehouse in Duluth, otherwise there aren't many attractions until you reach Glacier National Park. Just a whole lotta nothin'.

I recall pmdave writing in an earlier post about dangerous pavement rutting on US 2. Perhaps he needs to improve his riding techniques (joking).

Thanks beemerron. I'll add Riders Warehouse to my "to do" list. I have a feeling that no matter how I go from the east coast to the Rockies I'll end up seeing "a whole lotta nothin" at some point. I guessing it'll be better to be bored on rt 2 than some interstate.

grant

RTE 2

I took rte 2 form Montana/N. Dakota border all the way to Glasier Nat. Park in Aug. 03. There was a stretch of, I think about 75 - 100 miles of torn-up blacktop and dirt/gravel road. Narrow 2 lane and you're right nothing to see. I would never go that way again. There has to be better roads to take than that. I mean even the scenery is just boring. I may be the odd duck but I don't mind doing the Interstates. I think the scenery is many times as good as on the old two laners and you make much better time and are safer than on deserted 2 lane roads. Just my opinion. But, I wouldn't ride across the country on RTE 2. BA

Any route from Eastern Montana to West is scenic but the roads for the first third are not very challenging, no twisties. Nice river canyons, though. Lots of coulees. Afternoon winds. Last third, watch for stock in the trees - lots of open range.

I-90 speed limit = 75 mph. Hwy 2 speed limit in MT - 70 mph days, 65 mph nights, basically comparable to I-90 given the fudge factor of prevailing speed done by locals. Enough little towns for availability of fuel.

Hwy 2 from I-15, going west to Spokane is breathtaking.

Montana said:
Any route from Eastern Montana to West is scenic......Hwy 2 from I-15, going west to Spokane is breathtaking.

Thanks Montana!

I've wanted to ride accross your state for years, especially the western section and Glacier Nat'l Park. Now I've finally got an excuse to make the trip. As long as we're at it, I'm trying to decide if I should head back east on rt. 200, rt 12 or I 90. Do you have a favorite?

Grant

Sorry if I came across as too negative. But there was absolutely NOTHING to see from ND until almost Glacier on rte 2. We were hoping for the same thing a nice trip across Montana too. I had trailered my bike from Indiana just for the ride in the park and trip to Spokne to see friends. We were going to the park and ride the park loop around the south end back to St. Mary's. But, we got interrupted (ran out) by the fires. Because of the smoke and fire danger we were only allowed to go 15 miles into the park from St Mary's on Sun Road. The fires were so bad we decided to head S. and wound up in Rapid City a week before Sturgis. We did have some really exceptional rides around Rapid City that will be long remembered......
When I go back to Glacier I will take the southern route through Great Falls, from Helena and Butte and then up to Glacier. The scenery on I-15 very beautiful. We followed the most beautiful river or maybe several different rivers along I-15 for many miles as we wound through the canyons. The trip south from Glacier was the only thing that saved this part of the trip. We were so looking forward to doing a lot of riding in and around the park. This time it was on my Yamaha but the next time will be on my NEW R1200 CLC. (SEE attach) Maybe next time. B. A.

Attachments

• hooked up 3.jpg
    hooked up 3.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 1,154
Holy smokes B.A.!! That's some serious vacation equipment you got there. Maybe I'll get to check it out in Spokane. I didn't really think your comments were negative at all. As a matter of fact it was the type of "heads up" I was hoping to get. Thanks.

Grant

Bcircus, I think next year's length limit on Going-to-the-Sum Road to Logan Pass in Glacier National Park is 18 feet. You'll have to tow the camper to the far end and drop the bike, then ride the whole loop back to where you leave the truck - gee, that's too bad! And don't take I-15, even if you're towing that circus, from Helena you'll enjoy 287 to 89.

Grant, I've only gone Back East via Hwy 2. Through MT you'll like 200 a lot. If you've got the time, though, you need to ride Hwy 12 from Lewiston ID to Missoula (the Lolo Pass route), and then you can pick up 200 from there. Heading up Lolo Pass is where you will see that famous sign "77 miles" with a twisty arrow.

Keep in mind the east side of MT is the Great Plains no matter what road you take. And be prepared for extreme winds down the Eastern slope of the mountains until you go over the Continental Divide from East Glacier or St Mary.

That is kinda what we had planned this year. We were going to base camp out of St. Mary's and do all of the riding we could in the area. Then we were going to take the whole rig around the south end of park and back up the west side and stop at Apgar Village area to camp and trek with the bike on west towards Spokane and Wenatchee. But that all didn't work out because of all of the fires on the West Glacier side. Like I said maybe next time.
It will be a couple of years though because of Son going to Purdue University. You know "NO MONEY" syndrome..... I guess I'll just have to suck it up and ride the CLC around the Midwest and maybe Deals Gap and areas in the Great Smokie Mountains.... Thanks for the exchange. bcircus

Montana said:
Heading up Lolo Pass is where you will see that famous sign "77 miles" with a twisty arrow.

I've already decided there is no way I'm riding all the way accross the country without taking a picture of my bike parked next to that sign! :thumb

Now, do you see that sign heading east or west? I have this fear I'll be riding the wrong way and won't notice the sign in my rear view! Or is there one in each direction?

grant

Alternative to Rt 2

When heading back from the Missoula rally, someone told me that Rt 2, while not an interstate is heavily travelled by trucks and was not all that much fun. Instead he suggested I take Rt 200. This secondary highway meanders across Montana, ND and MN to Duluth. It was a wonderful suggestion. The road was virtually empty, in good shape and passed some nice scenery. There is one stretch where they warn you about no gas for the next 180 miles or so and mean it - I got the next town on a Sunday evening on fumes, but did make it.

Cy/VT
(Want to work in Communications at the rally? :)

Re: Alternative to Rt 2

Psycle said:
.....Rt 200. This secondary highway meanders across Montana, ND and MN to Duluth. It was a wonderful suggestion. The road was virtually empty, in good shape and passed some nice scenery....

Thanks Cy. Montana also mentioned that I would enjoy Rt 200. I may have to rethink things now. The only drawback with 200 is that I'll have to ride some extra miles to get up to Glacier Nat'l Park. Oh darn! ;)

grant

Riding to Spokane

Grant, I agree with Cy that the rout 200 is a much better alternative than route 2. But My favorite is to cross the continent in Canada. Either the Canadian highway system or rural roads. Canadian plains have more color, hills, and curves than the USA plains; and the people are great also.

Josh Ascher, Latham, NY

My 2 cents

Driving on 2 in the UP of Michigan is one of the nicest rides we have to offer. It is the closest thing to "coastal" riding we have. I don't know about how it is past Wisconsin, but it sure is nice in Michigan.

Back