• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Lifting K100RS Fuel Tank

cuervo

I'll be adding a some headlight relays to my 88 K100RS soon. Even though I could do everything inside the fairing, the more I look at it, the more it looks like I could do some things inside the electrical box under the fuel tank.

So, the question is, any additional tips on lifting the fuel tank. The very first time I tried it, I didn't know about the half-moon clips at the rear of the tank. That lead to some interesting results.

Any other tips regarding de-pressurizing, angles, replacing, etc...?

tia

I have never de-pressurized the system. I usually let the bike idle, and as its running, unplug the fuel tank connector under the right hand side cover and let the bike run out of gas. Then thread the fuel tank connector up between the relay box and the underseat glove compartment, since it stays with the gas tank.

When you remove the tank, there should be two vent hoses on the right hand side, and two fuel lines on the left hand side with clamps that need to be loosened. This is a difficult operation on the K-RS, since even after you remove the left-hand knee panel, its still tight for tool clearance. I put a shoe or rolled up towel under the back of the tank, then loosen the clamps, remove the fuel lines, and pull the tank up and back.

The only other thing I would do is to add a cup to go underneath the right hand vent spigots on the gas tank. This part is available from the dealer for $2, and allows you to get rid of the separate rubber hoses which usually crimp, dry out, and crack.

Regarding the headlight relays, I did not place the relays on my bike in the relay box.....I got them up and close to the headlight. The only thing I did in the relay box was use the hot lead to the starter relay as my powered line, then used the frame ground under the top frame rail for return. Make sure you fuse your hot leads, and put the fuses and relays somewhere convenient in case of a meltdown. You don't want to have to completely disassemble the bike in the middle of nowhere if a fuse blows.

Last edited:
Back