• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

adding heated grip kit

B

Bcpilot

I have a 2001 F650GS and want to install the BMW heated grips kit.
Has anyone done this? Want to know if its user-do-able. Thanks.

I'm no motorcycle mechanic....

...but I installed the kit on my '03 F650. The tricky part is getting the heated throttle/grip wire in there without twisting or pinching it. You have to make sure when you slide the throttle onto the bar that the wire is in the correct position in relation to the cutout on the bar end, otherwise when you twist the throttle it will cut the wire-way down inside the grip where you can't fix it.
Ask me how I know :banghead

Even though I had to buy a new throttle for around $60, I'm sure I would have paid alot more for labor to have it done at the shop.

greggnj said:
...but I installed the kit on my '03 F650. The tricky part is getting the heated throttle/grip wire in there without twisting or pinching it. You have to make sure when you slide the throttle onto the bar that the wire is in the correct position in relation to the cutout on the bar end, otherwise when you twist the throttle it will cut the wire-way down inside the grip where you can't fix it.
Ask me how I know :banghead

Even though I had to buy a new throttle for around $60, I'm sure I would have paid alot more for labor to have it done at the shop.

BMW's flat rate for that job is 1.42 hours.

I put heated grips on the '97 I used to own. I was able to but a pair of 'Hot Grips' brand that fit fine. They were around $50, which has got to be less than the BMW set. Installation was a bit rough. I would suggest doing it in a warm area so that the rubber and plastic can expand easily. Chain gang had some good tips as I remember.

doable

just put some aftermarkets from aerostich on my R80RT, using a used BMW rocker switch from BMW of Grand Rapids to keep things tidy.

Worked out fine, cheaper than BMW grips.

Simple tools and basic mechanical competence necessary.

For my next two bikes, I'm going with the www.dual-star.com unit.

It's the 2.0 version of the kit that 'stich sells.

ymmv

(your millivolts may vary)
:deal

Back