• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ipod info???

Emoto said:
Well, you could probably package them in a smaller space than I did. I'm only on version 1.0. I expect that over the winter or sometime next season, I will experiment a bit.
Do you hear any noise when you operate your Airclick? I really like the iJet, having used it the first time yesterday, but found that I pick up it's signal through my Mix-It. The iJet uses RF so it can travel through walls, and has a rather strong signal (150 foot range) so maybe I'll have to live with it. It's not too loud at least, and is an audible confirmation I've hit a button on the remote.

ipod info

How many of you with ipods have quit using them or cut back usage because you're getting sick of all the tunes? A few months ago, I heard a CBC (our national public radio service) reviewer say he was going to quit his XM or Sirius subscription because of that.

Rinty

wmubrown said:
Do you hear any noise when you operate your Airclick? I really like the iJet, having used it the first time yesterday, but found that I pick up it's signal through my Mix-It. The iJet uses RF so it can travel through walls, and has a rather strong signal (150 foot range) so maybe I'll have to live with it. It's not too loud at least, and is an audible confirmation I've hit a button on the remote.

No, there is no indication that I have hit a button. This led to me sending too many control inputs at first, until I learned to wait a moment for the iPod to react to the first time I pressed the button. I would think of a sound when a button is pushed as a helpful indicator.

rinty said:
How many of you with ipods have quit using them or cut back usage because you're getting sick of all the tunes? A few months ago, I heard a CBC (our national public radio service) reviewer say he was going to quit his XM or Sirius subscription because of that.

Rinty

Are you saying he was quitting because there was too much variety? :confused:

The huge selection is what I like the most about my iPod. About once a month or so, I buy a couple more CDs and rip those to add them to the iPod. I love having so much music at my fingertips.

The iPod interface allws you to play exactly what you want to hear. If you only want to hear part of your collection, or the work of a single artist, or a one genre, or one album, or even one song, you can do that. You can also make your own playlist that contains as much or as little as you want and play that.

ipod

Emoto:
He wasn't complaining about there being a lack of variety, he just got tired of listening to what was there, (presumably in his favourite categories) and thought he could get enough variety on broadcast bands. I don't remember his introduction info, but I gathered he was a professional audiophile.
I also saw a thread here a few days ago about someone wanting to download more music on their ipod because they were tired of their tunes.

Rinty

Last edited:
rinty said:
Emoto:
He wasn't complaining about there being a lack of variety, he just got tired of listening to what was there, (presumably in his favourite categories) and thought he could get enough variety on broadcast bands. I don't remember his introduction info, but I gathered he was a professional audiophile.
I also saw a thread here a few days ago about someone wanting to download more music on their ipod because they were tired of their tunes.

Rinty

Oh, I see now. :banghead :)

This is why I have the 60GB unit. With thousands of songs on it and lots of room for more, mine can currently go 16.1 days of continuous play before repeating even a single song. That is a lot.

iPOD 60gig

I have had several iPODs, trading up as new ones come out. I currently have the 60 gig 5th generation video iPOD. I currently have 1500 songs, 300+ photos, and 5 DVD videos that I have loaded onto it.
While riding down the highway, I listen to my songs. Went to Texas and back and never heard the same song twice, unless I wanted. Sound was great, and it helped relieve the boredom....
I can show pictures to people I meet, either of home or from past trips. Makes a nice conversation starter...
BUT, the high point for me, when camping, I can lay in my tent and watch Harry Potter, Pink Panther, or any other video I have loaded onto it. I also watch downloaded podcasts of motorcycles, computers, or whatever....
And, I have several audio books loaded for when I don't want music just entertainment...
So, like was mentioned, it is all in the eyes of the beholder. I have never had aproblem with jumping or skipping as I carry it in my pocket, not on the bike, so to speak. My pocket is waterproof so that is not an issue.
I am completely satisfied with it and am waiting to see what's next.... :thumb

I would go with the AirClick as well, the problem with the iJet from what I have read is in the receiver itself putting out the noise. I also did the MixIt. The thing to know with any technology, there is always the next one coming out. I have had a 20GB iPod no video for about 2 years now and am real happy with it. I have filled it once, but it then took me a long time to listen to all that stuff.

They all scratch easily. I have not had any problem with the hard drive.

BradfordBenn said:
I would go with the AirClick as well, the problem with the iJet from what I have read is in the receiver itself putting out the noise. I also did the MixIt. The thing to know with any technology, there is always the next one coming out. I have had a 20GB iPod no video for about 2 years now and am real happy with it. I have filled it once, but it then took me a long time to listen to all that stuff.

They all scratch easily. I have not had any problem with the hard drive.
I am currently playing with an iJet and a 5th gen iPod (video). The only noise I get is when pressing a button on the remote. Since it is an RF signal, the Mix-It is picking it up due to very close proximity to the iPod, and iJet remote. At first it bothered me, but as I'm using it I find it's an auditory verification that I've pressed a button on the remote - I am not looking down to press the remote, eyes always on the road, so I really don't mind it. The noise only occurs while the remote button is pressed, so it's very short lived.

Size Matters

That was one of the reasons we didn't get the Nano. I'd forget it was in a pocket and either sit on it or run it through the laundry.

My daughter's went through the wash last week so I replaced it with the newer NANO - I'm a fan of flash memory. The new ones which have the aluminum case are much more durable, however, the salesman warned me that it might not work with all of the previous model accessories. Seems the newer one is a little thicker and wider. I have not tried it out on the belkin car adapter yet.
:rocker

Nano all the way

I've got an iPod with the hard drive in it. It crashed due to the vibration on the bike. I'm hoping Santa brings me an 8GB nano for Xmas. I love the 20 GB unit for travelling, but on the bike, I want solid state...

Nano

I bought my daughter a 4GB Nano last Christmas; I liked it so much I bought one myself. You can store 1,000 songs on 4GB, and there's now a new 8GB Nano. The ideal model for your purposes depends on how the recipient will likely use it. I liked the Nano because of the flash memory over the disk drives in the larger units. At home, we use the one I got with an Altec Lansing boom box made for Ipods. Works like a charm in our kitchen/eating area.

Ipod as a gift can be a tough thing.... you really have to know how the person is planning on using it.

I know people who use theirs at the gym or while running. the nano is FANTASTIC for that!

I use my IPOD inplace of all my CD's... at the house, in the car, on the bike.

I have 8k+ songs on my ipod (close to 40gigs)... I would die if I had a nano and was always having to pick and choose which songs to have on it.

With my set up, I can put my ipod on shuffle and not hear the same song while riding for months!

(I've never had any problem with vibrations effecting my player)

So yeah... find out how the recipeint would be using their ipod the most.

There is also a rumor that just surfaced (more credible than the previous ones) that the lates generation Ipod (6) with the touchscreen will be debuting around dec... food for thought.

-Xaque-

Xaque said:
There is also a rumor that just surfaced (more credible than the previous ones) that the lates generation Ipod (6) with the touchscreen will be debuting around dec... food for thought.

nice, i love when new stuff comes out and the previous generations go way down in price. my creative zen jukebox, which has been a great player for 3 years (minus some headphone jack issues) is actually about the size of a jukebox. i haven't put any music on it for months, i tend to go in downloading cycles.............

Xaque said:
Ipod as a gift can be a tough thing.... you really have to know how the person is planning on using it.
I know people who use theirs at the gym or while running. the nano is FANTASTIC for that!

I use my IPOD inplace of all my CD's... at the house, in the car, on the bike.

I have 8k+ songs on my ipod (close to 40gigs)... I would die if I had a nano and was always having to pick and choose which songs to have on it.

With my set up, I can put my ipod on shuffle and not hear the same song while riding for months!

(I've never had any problem with vibrations effecting my player)

So yeah... find out how the recipeint would be using their ipod the most.

-Xaque-

On the one hand, I would tend to agree with you.

On the other hand...

My girlfriend gave me my iPod as a completely unexpected gift. She still teases me about when she gave it to me. I opened the box, saw what it was and looked at her (she says) like she was insane and asked "you gave me an iPod???". The reason being that I had been perfectly happy with CDs and had not had even one thought about going the iPod route, so I did not have had the foggiest idea of how I would use it, or even why I would want one.

But, once in my hands, I set about ripping all of my CDs into itunes and then onto the iPod to find out what I could do with it I found out that having ALL of my CDs on soemthing the size of a deck of cards was really great. I can now listen to anything I have wherever I go. Even while mowing the lawn.

music, photos, videos, lectures

i have the 80 gig photo ipod. it holds a ridiculous number of songs, enables me to download all the photos and videos i shoot while traveling (you need a small ipod sized card reader for downloading them), allows me listen to downloaded lectures/courses from the Teaching company (etc), and look up addresses, telephone numbers, and schedules with its contact and calendar features.
i also carry a small folding set of speakers, headphones, and i a tiny kensington remote fm transmitter that enables you to listen to the ipod through a nearby fm radio. normally i charge it with an in-car cigarette lighter charger from Monster. i haven't yet taken it on a motorcycle trip so am not sure what the best way (ie smallest, least redundant) is to power/charge it while in use.
if you get an ipod, get the extended warranty. it's cheap for the anxiety it eliminates.
i've had ipods from the beginning, generation 1 through 4. the 5th generation video model intrigues me, i admit. however, sitting to watch something (except, maybe, on a plane) when you're out in beautiful country just seems,...., well, wrong.
all the ipods i've owned (4 or 5) have worked without flaw. if you take good care of them (no washing machines) they should last forever, or nearly so.
I keep mine in an aluminum case (matias). good luck.

dg123 said:
i have the 80 gig photo ipod. it holds a ridiculous number of songs, enables me to download all the photos and videos i shoot while traveling (you need a small ipod sized card reader for downloading them), allows me listen to downloaded lectures/courses from the Teaching company (etc), and look up addresses, telephone numbers, and schedules with its contact and calendar features.
i also carry a small folding set of speakers, headphones, and i a tiny kensington remote fm transmitter that enables you to listen to the ipod through a nearby fm radio. normally i charge it with an in-car cigarette lighter charger from Monster. i haven't yet taken it on a motorcycle trip so am not sure what the best way (ie smallest, least redundant) is to power/charge it while in use.
if you get an ipod, get the extended warranty. it's cheap for the anxiety it eliminates.
i've had ipods from the beginning, generation 1 through 4. the 5th generation video model intrigues me, i admit. however, sitting to watch something (except, maybe, on a plane) when you're out in beautiful country just seems,...., well, wrong.
all the ipods i've owned (4 or 5) have worked without flaw. if you take good care of them (no washing machines) they should last forever, or nearly so.
I keep mine in an aluminum case (matias). good luck.

That case sounds interesting. Do you happen to have a URL for them?

Thanks,

Bob

matias aluminum ipod case

to find the matias aluminum ipod case, just google "matias ipod case". it'll be obvious from there.
david

Back