• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Linex...it isn't just for pick up trucks

tmoyer

Intermediate Adventurer
This past spring, I purchased the expandable BMW side cases for my 650 gs. I was really suprised at how crappy they are! If you look at it too hard, you risk dents, dings, and scratches.

A friend owns the local Linex shop. You know, the spray on bed liner stuff for pick up trucks. It's really durable and suprisingly, light weight. I had him spray my bags and I think they came out great. Now it won't be so obvious if I have a little booboo.

(attempting to post a picture....let's see if it works)

Attachments

• bag3.jpg
    bag3.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 2,225
When I put the 8.5 gallon expanded fuel tank on my K75 I used truck bedliner as a finish. The body shops wanted way too much to paint a tank. Made a good finish. Gas drips didn't bother it, and it was easy to keep clean. Impervious to tankbag scuffs too. Great stuff for motorcycles.

I got some bedliner stuff in a can that I sprayed on my crash bars, and I think it looks great. What did it cost to get bags and tank done? There's a place right up the street from me.

I saw one of the big high-capacity aftermarket Airhead tanks coated with bedliner stuff once. Looked like a giant avocado.

But I like what it did for those 650 bags! :thumb

jmerlino said:
What did it cost to get bags and tank done? There's a place right up the street from me.

$50 per bag. Well worth the cost imho. This is my second set thanks to how cheaply they were made.

Besides, I thought black looked better on my yellow B anyway. But when I originally inquired about buying black bags, I found that I had to buy the silver, then buy additional black lids for another $300+.

I did the inside and the bottom of the sidecar. The bags turned out great too.
There's a website somewhere that has pictures of all kinds of bliner covered bikes.
Can't seem to find it :banghead

Attachments

• P1010063 (Small).jpg
    P1010063 (Small).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 1,689
The way my guy explained to me is NO plastic...it won't stick. What he actually said was he would not guarantee it to adhere to plastic. Other than that he did all the prep...scuff and go as far as I could see.

He does pool decks, hunting trucks, garage floors... :thumb
I'm saving up for the garage :D

wuli959 said:
did the line-x make the bags noticable heavier?

No, not at all. It is a thin coating and rather light weight. I have another friend who had various parts of his tupperware done. He is coming by today so I'll take a few pics.

What a great idea! I was thinking of using a product called Lizard Skin on the inside of the boxes to keep them cooler in the heat, but this on the outside looks great, I have just the dented box that this would look good on...lol.

PGlaves said:
When I put the 8.5 gallon expanded fuel tank on my K75 I used truck bedliner as a finish. The body shops wanted way too much to paint a tank. Made a good finish. Gas drips didn't bother it, and it was easy to keep clean. Impervious to tankbag scuffs too. Great stuff for motorcycles.
Paul, would you happen to have a picture?

Why not do the whole bike?

Iron Butt Stealth Ninja:

71208.jpg

Paul, this is Leon Begeman's bike; he's from the DC area, I think?

Temporary spray on protection

I used the Spray On Bra from Griot's Garage. Rubberized stuff, sprays on, peels off, but lasts for thousands of miles. Good protection from rocks and seems to repel bugs too. No word on how effective it is absorbing radar signals. You can see a pictures of it on both the R1100RT and R1200RT and in the group of pics of the Northern Tour ride at www.corso.org.

Last edited:
Montana said:
Iron Butt Stealth Ninja:
Paul, this is Leon Begeman's bike; he's from the DC area, I think?

Yes, that was one of Leon's bikes. He has the custom expanded gas tank on that bike. I'm pretty sure that's a Ninja 250. I used to park next to him in a parking garage in DC for a while.

Back