• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

What to wear

empeg9000

Okay I am going on a 4 day trip this weekend in NY/PA and I suppose the temps could range from 40-50 and there could be rain. I wear the Olympia AST jacket which I am sure will be fine. I also wear a pair of Joe Rocket overpants but they have no insulation. I know on my way to work when its about 45 my legs get pretty cold wearing jeans underneath on thats only an hour or so. What should I wear? i have a pair of fleece pants I wear when I go skiing but I dont want to over dress and be too hot. Looking for some advice on what I should pack for the weather.

I have the pants that go with the Olympia jacket. They work quite well in cooler temps. I haven't ridden with them below 50 degrees yet, but expect them to work for most of the winter.

With the zip out lining, you have protection yearround. With the lining in place, they are waterproof. At least for a couple of hours in a downpour which is as long as I have needed them so far.

I went around the Catskills this morning fom New Jersey. My mesh First gear overpants, unlined Kilamonjro jacket with a complete Gerbings liner including socks and gloves underneth. This works on my RT from the mid 30's to mid 60's. About 9am or so I remove the socks and heated pant liner. Not a lot of bulk to wear and easy to carry on the bike.
ride a lot,
robert

chfite wrote: With the zip out lining, you have protection yearround. With the lining in place, they are waterproof. At least for a couple of hours in a downpour which is as long as I have needed them so far.
Well I will keep the Olympia pants in mind for next year. They are only waterproof with the liner in?

I went around the Catskills this morning fom New Jersey.My mesh First gear overpants, unlined Kilamonjro jacket with a complete Gerbings liner including socks and gloves underneth.
This works on my RT from the mid 30's to mid 60's.

Well the S leaves you a little more exposes to the elements. Well I guess I will bring a pair of regular pants and a pair of fleece so if it looks like it will be a really cold day I will wear the fleece pants underneath my overpants otherwise I will go with pants since I dont have electric gear at the moment

The fleece pants should provide decent warmth for your trip. The biggest thing that I have found is if your feet stay warm, your legs are generally okay. (I know that's not always the case, but...)

For a couple of bucks, go to Target, WalMart, etc... and get a box of those warming packets for your hands - the kind that hunters put in their gloves. I got some for a cold weather trip last year and stuffed them in my boots to keep my feet warm. You could also put them in your pants (around your thighs) to keep warm if you need them. Just remember to try to have some cloth, like a handkerchief, between them and your skin.

Otherwise, if it's going to stay above 40, you should be fine.

Dan

Dress in layers. Avoid cotton. Keep a polypro layer close to your skin. Pack fleece and glove liners and you'll be fine.

If you have electrics, bring them.

what to wear

empeg:

The fleece pants are probably going to be too much for this time of the year, but you could bring a pair of thin polypro longjohns for use if it gets cool. Even if it warms up during the day and it's inconvenient to change them, they don't get uncomfortable as quickly as thicker fleece. For your upper base layer, you could start with a short sleeve thin polypro tee under a long sleeve thin polypro zip T, and then remove the latter when it warms up midday. I find the alpine skiing base layers work well for riding, and carry the the uppers even in the summer. If the AST has a liner, you can bring it, otherwise bring a polartec 100 or 200 upper fleece. Also, what works for you will depend a lot on your body weight and surface to volume ratio, and your metabolism.

Rinty

rinty said:
empeg:

The fleece pants are probably going to be too much for this time of the year, but you could bring a pair of thin polypro longjohns for use if it gets cool. Even if it warms up during the day and it's inconvenient to change them, they don't get uncomfortable as quickly as thicker fleece. For your upper base layer, you could start with a short sleeve thin polypro tee under a long sleeve thin polypro zip T, and then remove the latter when it warms up midday. I find the alpine skiing base layers work well for riding, and carry the the uppers even in the summer. If the AST has a liner, you can bring it, otherwise bring a polartec 100 or 200 upper fleece. Also, what works for you will depend a lot on your body weight and surface to volume ratio, and your metabolism.
Rinty
Okay thats good to know. I will bring my skiing base layers then and go with that. I do have a couple long sleever cool max shirts I will bring and a skiing base layer in case its really cold. My jacket does have its own liner and its pretty warm too. For some reason the tops of my legs always get cold by I will just layer up like you say.
Thanks for the info.

what to wear

You're good to go. I have expedition weight fleece longjohns, which are probably similar to your fleece pants, for winter skiing, and the thin polypro ones for spring skiing. The latter I use for riding under my unlined Dainese pants. I've stopped packing my jacket liner, preferring instead to carry a slim cut polartech 100 fleece upper, and a capilene lined shell jacket. I can combo these in a variety of ways with my base layers and they are presentable to wear, and very comfortable. I used them at the Idaho Stanley Stomp in August when the temp was down to 27, and they were more than adequate.

Have a good ride.

Rinty

Pack a strand of pearls and a nice silk scarf, and you're always ready for that upscale dining opportunity... should it present itself.

brrr
its been gettin a little chilly
upper end is ok
what helped the lower end was poly pro long johns and carhart duck pants

KBasa said:
Dress in layers. Avoid cotton. Keep a polypro layer close to your skin. Pack fleece and glove liners and you'll be fine.

If you have electrics, bring them.

+1

Layers is the answer. With the modern materials we have now you can add or subtract clothes as the need arises. Don't overpack but make sure to have good raingear too, as being wet will result in being cold DAMHIK. Enjoy your trip!! :thumb

Back