• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Pondering a Purchase

D

dizzydev

Issues with my VFR have me down - alternator, subframe problems, *sigh*. I had test-drove a BMW R1100S a while back but elected for budget reasons to get the Honda - I'm regretting this now. I'm thinking of taking advantage of the deals currently available - just wondered:

a) if anybody would recommend a particular dealer in SF/Bay Area
b) if BMW is going to come out with a significantly changed model anytime soon
c) anything else you'd tell a beemer newbie to make him feel 'educated'

Thanks

Marin BMW is a good source. Kris Besley will treat you right. If they have an S hanging around, they'll probably let you ride it. Tell him I said Hi!

What year VFR did you buy? I have a 98 and while it's eaten one regulator/rectifier, it's been otherwise bulletproof.

Rumor has it that the new boxers will be out in the fall of next year, but in the meanwhile S bikes got dual plugged.

Do you have specific questions? :)

BMW is running some killer deals on new bike purchases right now. I have had to work hard to resist the temptation, but my RT is just getting broken in now in it's 8th year. Plus, there is rumor of a new Boxer next year so I might think about then...or not.

Either way, those VFRs (in the right year) are great bikes. But the beemer is a beemer. Check them all out and do what works for you. You won't find much better sales deals on beemers than those out there right now. Sales must be slow to give away the store like this.

Thumbs up on a Beemer Buy

Hey dizzy.
I am on my second beemer. The new one is not an S, it is an R bike. The dual plug motor is smooooooth, the self-canceling turn signals are lovely (hey, I'm 45 and I forget all kinds of things), the heated grips are grrrrreat.
Best of all was the .9% financing deal and the free payments made for me by the beemer boyz.
I am one happy camper.
Happy trails.

The '02 VFRs had an alternator problem - recalled all the bikes and replaced the stators. Now if luggage is mounted, the rear subframes are tending to crack over time. Ack.

So for the beemer - how good are the deals? Am I going to get a discount off of list in addition to the financing? Also, I'd like to get the following accessories - any thoughts on any of them?

1) Remus or Staintune pipes
2) PowerCommander
3) Hard luggage - will a full face helmet fit into the luggage?
4) Accessory socket

Should I have these things installed at the dealer or do them myself? How much should I pay for them? Seemed easy enough to do myself on the VFR but that was not a Germanwerkthing.

Your input is solicited and much appreciated. Newbie here. Cheers

Frank,
tried to e-mail you, but it didn't seem to be an option. Yes, my Rockster has self-canceling signals. It took me a few weeks to figure it out.....duh! (My salesman neglected to tell me, but I had read it in the May '03 ON but forgot about it.)
self-cancelling dual sparked Beemers RULE!

dizzydev said:
So for the beemer - how good are the deals? Am I going to get a discount off of list in addition to the financing? Also, I'd like to get the following accessories - any thoughts on any of them?

1) Remus or Staintune pipes
2) PowerCommander
3) Hard luggage - will a full face helmet fit into the luggage?
4) Accessory socket

Should I have these things installed at the dealer or do them myself? How much should I pay for them? Seemed easy enough to do myself on the VFR but that was not a Germanwerkthing.

Your input is solicited and much appreciated. Newbie here. Cheers

You can probably get a discount off of list on them these days.

I'm not a big fan of the various pipes, but they don't, in general, add much hp. Same with chips. You might want to check on the Pelican Parts R1100S forum for more specifics.

A full face helmet will fit in the bags that come on an S.

You can put the accessory socket on yourself.

I've got a VFR and an R11S and the S is probably easier to work on. The body panels get attached with little allen head screws instead of those fiddly little plug things. The valve train is out where you can get at it for valved adjustments.

BMWs, for all their purported complexity, are pretty simple to deal with.

Where in SF are you? I'm in Marin.

Re: Self Canceling Signals

Mr. Frank said:
Can that be easily transferred to an RT?

Not that I'm aware of. The Rockster and the S have an electronic speedo and the same instrument cluster.

Isn't there some kind of add on to make your signals self cancelling?

(thread drift, sorry)

Back