• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Helmet Choice

I have been very happy with the HJC Symax as well as the BMW System V flipface. The BMW helmet was a UK purchase, but if you are going to UK/Europe/AU then it is a fabulous option.

Cheers......

You can also find the System 5 and Schuberth

LRider said:
I have been very happy with the HJC Symax as well as the BMW System V flipface. The BMW helmet was a UK purchase, but if you are going to UK/Europe/AU then it is a fabulous option.

Cheers......
for good prices on e-bay Germany.I just bought a C1,as new,for $130 shipped.Similar deals are available on helmets not offered here and also those that are.There were over 80 Schuberths listed when I was looking last month.
While searching e-bay de,I saw that Schuberth also makes helmets for industrial use.

After testing helmets from 6 manufactures I made a purchase. The one that worked the best for me was the Arai Quantum 2. I didn't like the price but the end of season dicount from my dealer helped a bit. I'v ridden more than 300 miles since the purchase and I am very happy with my choice. Thanks again to everyone who responded to my post. Your input was extremly helpful.

LRider said:

Cheers......

Canada?

If the fit is good (oval heads like Arai, and round ones Shoei as I'm told..?!)

I loved my Arai Quantum, and it did save my gourd in my recent getoff.
I was due to buy another next year anyway, and am planning to do so.

I used to have an old BMW mk1 flip helmet. It was hot, noisy and heavy but had the novelty of the flip up chin bar for glasses.

The last time I went looking for a helmet I still wanted the flip up chin bar. Most of the ones I looked at we're still heavy and no option for ventilation. ON a trip to a Honda dealer looking for a small generator my wife spotted the helmets and started trying them on. We looked and tried on several. Surprisingly it was a rather inexpensive brand that seemed to fit the best for us. We ended up with a couple Wolf brand helmets. They are not the quietest but better than my old BMW helmet and they have very effective air flow. They are as comfortable as it gets in summer heat and very light weight to boot. The visor is good, nothging spectacular but good and clear with no major distortion at all, even on the edges. The visor will stay open at several settings from all the way to just cracked and the air vents can be closed. They have outstanding anti fog traits and I have had no fogging even in cold wet weather. They are DOT rated and marked. Especially for the price we are very happy with them and will look at them again when it's time to get new ones.

shoei x-11

Bought a new x-11 to the tune of roughly 500 dollars. I was sorely disappointed with quality control. sticker placed on sloppily, shield will flip down anything above 40 mph making it a terrible summer helmet, noisy as all get out. Fits great, I hate it otherwise... RIDE whatever you are considering as most shops will not allow a return on a helmet. :drink :eat :wave

I just crash tested a Shoei. I'm please to report that with the exception of some minor (very minor) bleeding on the brain, I am alive and well.

I rode today for the first time with my new Arai RX-7, and it seemed like wind noise was really loud. Noisier even than my usual Nolan N102, which has a reputation as a noisy helmet. I was disappointed. And I'm a chubby-cheeked fellow and the dang cheek pads were squashing me mug. It IS a beautiful and well-built lid though.

ldysert said:
After trying on many different helmets, I finally decided on the Arai RX-7 Corsair. Expensive, but it just felt the most comfortable by far. It's pretty light weight, vents well, and was one of the best for allowing me to slide my glasses on. My only complaint with it is the hassle in switching shields - it's just a difficult process that always me think I'm about to break the shield although that hasn't happened (yet).

Helmet

I and my son have a Icon helmet which was $190.00. It fits well and we are very happy with the helmet. You may want to look at Icon next time.
CW
Chicago

An expensive helmet is still cheaper than a ride in an ambulance.

Shoei X-11

Purchased and X-11 a couple of months ago. came out of a Shoei TZ-1, tried on a bunch of flip ups arai etc. but my head fits a Shoei the best wear them for hours at a time. longest wear time ~12 hour day about 7K total mileage in helmet.

X -11 pros

light weight
removable liner
chin curtain, breath guard standard
excellent venting -
venting clears sheild fog well
has air flow lip on back which provides noticable stability in cross winds etc.
fit and finnish excellent

X-11 cons

this helmet is LOUD, wear ear plugs at all times and it's not a problem.
I was unable to get my helmet speakers to fit in well, so I don't use them.

silver, paid 430.00 from local accessory shop, I'd buy another one.

hope this helps..

2003 K12RS

arai with right fit

Best thing I did was have the Arai guy at the Cycle World International Motorcycle Show that travels around the country during the winter mearsure me up for the right helmet fit and shape. I think Arai has 3 different shapes. He said most times poeple buy helmets that are one size to big and after break in it does not fit or protect like the helmet should. The Signet [ long ovel shape] he fit me for is perfect though felt a snug at first. I have looked at the Nolan 1002 but does not feel like Arai. Probably get a new Arai Profile for my next lid next spring.

I was rear-ended by a 3/4 ton Ford Pickup at 60 MPH last Thursday while riding my F650ST. Flipped over the windscreen, landed on my noggin and rag-doll bounced and slid down the highway quite a ways before grinding to a stop. My Nolan 102 flip-up has a deep gouge and ancillary abrasions on the top, and my BMW Savannah jacket was slightly torn on the rear. I'm in pretty good shape given the impacts, with soreness, bruising, a little road-rash on my lower back: saved from the grim reaper by my equipment, especially the Nolan helmet. So now that's what I have'ta recommend: a little noisy, but strong. :wave

Daver90s said:
I have a Nolan N100 - fits round heads -
has anyone tried a ROOF helmet? Look cool but no nothing about them.

http://www.customlids.co.uk/helmets/roof/roof.htm

I had a Roof Boxer this summer.
Very cool to look at, but quite noisy.
It was good for city riding, the flip back face shield was real cool, and did work well. It was well made, quality optics, just too loud for any touring. I also never wore it in the rain, I don't think it would be good though.
I ended up selling it becasue I always wore my Shoei RF-1000.

http://designerhelmets.com/prodlist.php?cat=Roof&prod=R05+Boxer

Back