• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Camp Gear Recommendation Needed

paulsibek

Big Agnes Dual Core vs. Therma Rest Luxury Camp Pad

Similar, BA is 1/2 the weight.

Any users, any advice???

I am VERY happy with my ThermaRest. In the past 3 seasons I have spent a total of over 8 weeks sleeping on it. I am a big man and find it comfortable to sleep on. I have used it in temps as low as 20 deg and found it to insulate well. If you roll it carefully it packs down to a very small roll for what it is.

Weight was not my concern for selection. I knew that the Thermarest would fit within the weight restrictions for my camping kit. Comfort was the deciding factor there it has served me well.

First I bought a wide thick (blue) Thermarest. After a year or so, I found it was too big on the Roadster. Then a standard (green) Thermarest. Not real comfortable; I deserve better, but I used it for years. This year I picked up a Big Agnes insulated air mattress (is that the dual core?). It wins hands down for comfort and compact stowage. The secret is to blow it up, and when you lay on it, let out air until you know it feels good.

Next will be a compact Big Agnes sleeping bag designed to accept the mattress.

Fred

paulsibek said:
Big Agnes Dual Core vs. Therma Rest Luxury Camp Pad

Similar, BA is 1/2 the weight.

Any users, any advice???
If you have the room and the weight, a $13 coleman 6" thick air mattress or similar is the only way to go. No backpack mattress will ever be as comfortable. If room and weight are more a concern then sleeping comfort or you backpack, go with the big agnes. Check it every trip for leaks. The two I have owned both eventually tore right at the seams due to the small roll size would be my guess. Therma rest are about as soft as a blanket, and too bulky in size for packing IMHO

Big agnes down bags are great (also have two). Usually take my lost ranger 20 degree bag unless it is over 70 in the evenings. They pack very small (if you put them in a compression sack) and don't shed to much either, plus the mattress pocket keep it your pad in place.

I've got a Big Agnes bag and sleeping pad. The sleeping pad is much, much easier to pack than a standard Thermarest. I think it's a good bit more comfortable as well.

If you have both the bag and pad, the pad fits into a sleeve on the back of the bag. This won't let you slide off your pad, even if you're on a grade.

You have to blow the BA pad up, but it only takes a minute or two.

I give it two thumbs up. :thumb :thumb

KBasa said:
I've got a Big Agnes bag and sleeping pad. The sleeping pad is much, much easier to pack than a standard Thermarest. I think it's a good bit more comfortable as well.

If you have both the bag and pad, the pad fits into a sleeve on the back of the bag. This won't let you slide off your pad, even if you're on a grade.

You have to blow the BA pad up, but it only takes a minute or two.

I give it two thumbs up. :thumb :thumb

Same here. I have the 1.5 inch thick full length BA pad and I love it. I sleep better on it than I ever did on my Thermarest. And I like the feature that it fits into a sleeve on the bag and you don't slide off your pad during the night.

Back